Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Man Harrison deal just sucks on many levels. Not only is it settling and an underwhelming deal, but it limits the team's flexibility rounding out the roster. I would honestly rather go into the season with Leury and Romy as the 2B options than have 5.5m committed to Harrison. 

Feel like it’s going to go the Eaton route and he’ll be replaced by July. 

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But spending 11 million for two bench utl players?  It's absolutely a platoon.  

Its not even a platoon tho.  If you're going to platoon Leury with someone, get a guy like Brad Miller who compliments Leury.  Leury should play against LHP, and while Harrison's splits are relatively even, its not like he excels against RHP. Puzzling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely agree here.  Isn't it theoretically possible Harrison was just a bench add and we don't see the overall picture yet?  Mendick sucks and shouldn't be on an MLB roster and Romy definitely can still go to AAA.  A bench of Leury, Engel, Harrison and any catcher not named Collins is pretty good.  The Sox are paying Harrison $4m in 22, not some huge sum - they could definitely still have something larger planned there, even if it looks unlikely right now. 

I'm hoping that something else kind of falls into their laps and then bench is catcher, Harrison, Leury, Engel but I also won't hold my breathe haha

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Man Harrison deal just sucks on many levels. Not only is it settling and an underwhelming deal, but it limits the team's flexibility rounding out the roster. I would honestly rather go into the season with Leury and Romy as the 2B options than have 5.5m committed to Harrison. 

This team is horrible at allocating resources.

• Like 3

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If you had to bet, do you think we sign a difference maker in RF?

If I had to bet, I would not bet the Sox get a Conforto/Castellanos type. My guess would be someone like Joc Pederson or Dexter Fowler. 

That said, there seems to be a very limited market on Conforto/Castellanos. I am sure the Padres will add a bat. The Mariners could. Maybe Texas keeps spending or LAA gets involved. Conforto could make sense for Toronto if they keep spending but I don't really see much towards strong markets for these guys. The rumors with Miami and Colorado are something but if you're those players do you want to sign up to suck for the next years? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely agree here.  Isn't it theoretically possible Harrison was just a bench add and we don't see the overall picture yet?  Mendick sucks and shouldn't be on an MLB roster and Romy definitely can still go to AAA.  A bench of Leury, Engel, Harrison and any catcher not named Collins is pretty good.  The Sox are paying Harrison $4m in 22, not some huge sum - they could definitely still have something larger planned there, even if it looks unlikely right now. 

I honestly think Hahn just figured Harrison can be the everyday starting 2B, and for $4M, that's not terrible.  Leury then becomes the super-utility guy (who I think TLR really wants in that role). It will all come down to what we do in RF.  If we land Conforto (or another big bat), then I am completely fine with Harrison and Leury. If not, then I will consider the offseason a big, fat failure.

Harrison RAKED in first part of season last year with Nationals. Like, really, really good. Maybe they think he can replicate that? It's a dumb bet, but all I can think is they saw a flaw in his approach in Oakland and think they can correct it. One thing of note...both Nationals & Athletic fans absolutely loved him and his presence, so it's not an Eaton type dick personality. 

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I honestly think Hahn just figured Harrison can be the everyday starting 2B, and for $4M, that's not terrible.  Leury then becomes the super-utility guy (who I think TLR really wants in that role). It will all come down to what we do in RF.  If we land Conforto (or another big bat), then I am completely fine with Harrison and Leury. If not, then I will consider the offseason a big, fat failure.

Agreed.  I personally always expected a meh 2B addition.  I would have gone with someone else, but I am with you, finish the job and Harrison is a fine 2B batting in the 9 hole. At least he's a solid defender. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Harrison is definitely the plan at 2B, at least up until the trade deadline.  If they can find an upgrade at that time, then Harrison moves to a reserve infielder role.  Would just be a very expensive bench, but dude is probably moveable if need be as long as he doesn’t fall off a cliff.

Also, regarding “settling” for Harrison, his addition only makes sense if the plan is for a large expenditure in RF.  Until we lose out on Conforto and to a lesser extent Schwarber, Castellanos, & Bryant then I think those guys are still in the cards.

10 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

What kind of fielder is Naquin?  Doesn’t do too much as a bat, but it does marginally improve it. Not sure the defense. 

Sox had dialogue on Naquin after Robert/Eloy/Madrigal got hurt last year. 

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

5 of Cincy's top 8 prospects are pitchers, therefore they might be willing to deal one, with just 2 years of control.

Their GM said they won't be trading prospects to get money off the books. Instead they are strapping their MLB assets to bad contracts to get rid of money. 

3 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Feel like it’s going to go the Eaton route and he’ll be replaced by July. 

At least with Eaton there was some reasonable optimism he could bounce back and he fit the lineup really well if the move played out as intended. Harrison doesn't fit the roster at all and has no upside. Like you alluded to, he is the type of player to have a rough 7-8 weeks to start the year and be on the waiver wire by the ASB.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I didn't envision building the most expensive bullpen in baseball and hoarding utility players who don't get on base coming into an offseason where we had needs at 2B/RF/SP. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its not even a platoon tho.  If you're going to platoon Leury with someone, get a guy like Brad Miller who compliments Leury.  Leury should play against LHP, and while Harrison's splits are relatively even, its not like he excels against RHP. Puzzling. 

I blame this on our front office not being very smart.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

That said, there seems to be a very limited market on Conforto/Castellanos.

This is the number one thing I keep telling myself in order to stay optimistic.  The limited market, combined with the fact that we have possibly two guys who I would be satisfied with, gives me hope that the Hahn strategy of not offering an aggressive contract right away might just work out to land one of them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But spending 11 million for two bench utl players?  It's absolutely a platoon.  

Tony does think Leury being a “switch hitter” makes him a good hitter against RHP.  You think Hahn would have done everything in his power to prevent Tony from having pieces that will play into his bad habits but alas that isn’t the case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Harrison RAKED in first part of season last year with Nationals. Like, really, really good. Maybe they think he can replicate that? It's a dumb bet, but all I can think is they saw a flaw in his approach in Oakland and think they can correct it. One thing of note...both Nationals & Athletic fans absolutely loved him and his presence, so it's not an Eaton type dick personality. 

How did he fare 2018-2020? I think Harrison will be a good guy in the clubhouse and a wily vet. He always seems to place us tough. But he hits right-handed, he doesn't get on bas, his career is in a downtrend, etc. Even coming off of a "good" year last year he was basically replacement level. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.  I personally always expected a meh 2B addition.  I would have gone with someone else, but I am with you, finish the job and Harrison is a fine 2B batting in the 9 hole. At least he's a solid defender. 

I expected meh if they didn't surprise with a trade but Harrison is beyond meh. At least Brad Miller or Matt Carpenter or someone would help balance the lineup and add some sort of upside. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Tony does think Leury being a “switch hitter” makes him a good hitter against RHP.  You think Hahn would have done everything in his power to prevent Tony from having pieces that will play into his bad habits but alas that isn’t the case.

Which again points to a big problem the team has...they don’t view Engel and Leury as bench players.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Which again points to a big problem the team has...they don’t view Engel and Leury as bench players.  

Correct. Engel has never been healthy, he should be a 4th - 5th option in the OF for his defense until he proves otherwise. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, raBBit said:

If I had to bet, I would not bet the Sox get a Conforto/Castellanos type. My guess would be someone like Joc Pederson or Dexter Fowler. 

That said, there seems to be a very limited market on Conforto/Castellanos. I am sure the Padres will add a bat. The Mariners could. Maybe Texas keeps spending or LAA gets involved. Conforto could make sense for Toronto if they keep spending but I don't really see much towards strong markets for these guys. The rumors with Miami and Colorado are something but if you're those players do you want to sign up to suck for the next years? 

my god Joc or Fowler would be a travesty.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Harrison is definitely the plan at 2B, at least up until the trade deadline.  If they can find an upgrade at that time, then Harrison moves to a reserve infielder role.  Would just be a very expensive bench, but dude is probably moveable if need be as long as he doesn’t fall off a cliff.

Also, regarding “settling” for Harrison, his addition only makes sense if the plan is for a large expenditure in RF.  Until we lose out on Conforto and to a lesser extent Schwarber, Castellanos, & Bryant then I think those guys are still in the cards.

This is what I am holding out for.....but not holding my breath.  Maybe they are trying to play the market on RF and hope that someone will take a 1-2 year bridge contract if they can't get a team?   Kind of what they should have done last year instead of jumping on Eaton.  It is risky...but it could pay off if no one wants to give Conforto/Joc/Schwarber the money they want.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  Man, the more I think about it the more it's starting to irk me that they didn't look at Miller if they were going to go this bargain route.  He's hit righties so freaking well for a while now and plays a solid 2b.  Very annoying.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I will bet that the starting 8 are relatively inexpensive compared to the other playoff teams. This allows them to spend elsewhere. They don't have to spend exactly like other teams.

This FO has been pretty good at locking up young players to reasonable contracts.