Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you hit up fangraphs defensive ratings and sort is for LF with at least 700 innings, Andrew Vaughn ranks 4th out of 15 qualified players.  Expand that out to 300 innings and he is still 15th out of 45. 

Statistically,  Andrew Vaughn was a significantly above average defensive LF.

It's probably a little harder to get a good reading on Sheets because of SSS, but he had -32 and -35 UZRs in LF and RF respectively, compared to 0.5 and -20.2 for Vaughn.

So far, Sheets looks Fisk in LF bad in the OF, and Vaughn looks above average vs his peers.

Blatant misuse of defensive stats . 1st of all you used UZR150 Stats  which is based on 150 games. Gavin didn't even have 150 innings in the OF let alone 150 games. You said UZR not UZR 150 so I don't know if you are intentionally misrepresenting facts or just made a mistake.

I'm no sabermetric expert but all defensive stats require a good amount of data to be useful. I could go to DRS and say Sheet was a 0 in LF and Vaughn was a -2 but that would also misrepresent the data samples. I could also use DRS to say Sheets was a -2 in RF while Vaughn was a minus -3 .

I know you added caveats about sample size but then you say "So far Sheets looks Fisk bad". This looks pretty much like you are twisting things to the way you want people to see them.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify: While I have been one of those clamouring for a right fielder, it is not because I believe that the roster lacks a player capable of playing RF. The issue is, as many of us have often expressed; the lineup needs better balance and RF is the only position currently open to insert a LH power bat. I would be very happy to have Engel play RF, even if he didn't provide a lot of offense. The problem is that he's another right handed hitter. The only way that this roster has a chance to achieve better balance, would be if Sheets can find a position to play and continue to hit RH pitching, like he did last season. That's taking a pretty big gamble, for a team with World Series aspirations.  

If they can sign, or trade for, a solid LH power bat, on a short term contract, that would be ideal. They seem very high on Colas and if he could be ready in a couple of years, that would solve the problem. In the meantime, it just doesn't seem plausible for this roster to have much post season success, versus tough RH pitchers. It would also help if Moncada could get back to being the guy he was in 2019. Without his power, this current lineup has one serious LH run producer, in Grandal. That is simply not a good formula for success. It seems hard to believe that TLR and Hahn do not understand this obvious need and therefore I expect something to get done.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Just to clarify: While I have been one of those clamouring for a right fielder, it is not because I believe that the roster lacks a player capable of playing RF. The issue is, as many of us have often expressed; the lineup needs better balance and RF is the only position currently open to insert a LH power bat. I would be very happy to have Engel play RF, even if he didn't provide a lot of offense. The problem is that he's another right handed hitter. The only way that this roster has a chance to achieve better balance, would be if Sheets can find a position to play and continue to hit RH pitching, like he did last season. That's taking a pretty big gamble, for a team with World Series aspirations.  

If they can sign, or trade for, a solid LH power bat, on a short term contract, that would be ideal. They seem very high on Colas and if he could be ready in a couple of years, that would solve the problem. In the meantime, it just doesn't seem plausible for this roster to have much post season success, versus tough RH pitchers. It would also help if Moncada could get back to being the guy he was in 2019. Without his power, this current lineup has one serious LH run producer, in Grandal. That is simply not a good formula for success. It seems hard to believe that TLR and Hahn do not understand this obvious need and therefore I expect something to get done.

Lillian is preaching to the choir here.

The need for not just a LH bat but a savage LH bat is overwhelming. 

They aren't going to do dick in the playoffs without at least a couple true LH savages. No...not switch hitters that are somewhat above 800 OPS against righties. Actual savages. Conforto is necessary but not sufficient. 

In an ideal world they would sign both Conforto and Schwarber but ofcourse they are too busy wasting money on Tony's unhealthy obsession with relievers and scrubs,  and have too many bat only players already and are too cheap to meaningfully address the need.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The problem is that Engel can’t stay healthy and can’t be counted on to play every day.  Any plan that pencils him into the lineup every day is one that will result in even lesser players starting for large chunks of the season.  They need a legit starting RF. 

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Too bad. That patella dislocation and MPFL surgery just robbed him of his legs.

Sounds pretty nasty. Almost as bad as ruptured patella. On a personal note now 6 years since my ruptures, just did a 20 mile bike ride this weekend and thirty reps 225lbs on the squat rack, god bless you rehab and medical folks!

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Blatant misuse of defensive stats . 1st of all you used UZR150 Stats  which is based on 150 games. Gavin didn't even have 150 innings in the OF let alone 150 games. You said UZR not UZR 150 so I don't know if you are intentionally misrepresenting facts or just made a mistake.

I'm no sabermetric expert but all defensive stats require a good amount of data to be useful. I could go to DRS and say Sheet was a 0 in LF and Vaughn was a -2 but that would also misrepresent the data samples. I could also use DRS to say Sheets was a -2 in RF while Vaughn was a minus -3 .

I know you added caveats about sample size but then you say "So far Sheets looks Fisk bad". This looks pretty much like you are twisting things to the way you want people to see them.

I figured this would upset you, but Sheets numbers also agreed with the eye test. He made some awful mistakes, and didn't show any real competitancy out there in a limited sample.  Maybe he gets better with some practice,  but last year wasn't good.

• Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I figured this would upset you, but Sheets numbers also agreed with the eye test. He made some awful mistakes, and didn't show any real competitancy out there in a limited sample.  Maybe he gets better with some practice,  but last year wasn't good.

That’s kinda exactly how Vaughn looked in RF.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And the numbers bore that out, with Sheets still worse.  But in LF Vaughn rated really high vs his peers. Sheets was still bad.

Just looking at one slightly more relevant thing, out of the defense skills Fangraphs breaks out, Vaughn’s weakest was actually throwing. This seems to have been the case both in RF and LF, but although short sting - it was magnified in RF.

Im not sure if that’s a thing he can fix through practice.

At the trading deadline last year we had no starting caliber RF, instead we got a reliever.

This offseason we have no starting caliber players at 2B and RF, we sign two relievers.

If that trend continues, we will sign dozens of relievers in a couple of years.

image.jpeg

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

At the trading deadline last year we had no starting caliber RF, instead we got a reliever.

This offseason we have no starting caliber players at 2B and RF, we sign two relievers.

If that trend continues, we will sign dozens of relievers in a couple of years.

image.jpeg

Maybe the FO hasn't gotten through the Book of Trades to the chapter on right field, yet.

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And the numbers bore that out, with Sheets still worse.  But in LF Vaughn rated really high vs his peers. Sheets was still bad.

Vaughn was a perfectly acceptable LF. It should be his position until he proves he can’t play it.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This sounds like San Diego sees there are fewer teams remaining preventing Freddie from going to the Dodgers, so they're just going to try to drive LA's price up. Bet this is over soon and he's a Dodger.

I’m thinking the Angels swoop in at the last minute and pick up Freeman. Then they deal Walsh for something to fill one of their other weaknesses. 
Walsh does play RF. Just saying.