Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I am pretty sure 4/$80-85M would be the offer we gave Conforto. If Schwarber got this deal, I think Conforto would get 5 years and more dollars

From who?  I'm genuinely curious which teams would still offer Conforto 5/100 at this point.  Padres possibly, but if they pivot to Freeman, Castellanos or someone else, then they'd be out.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But you just said the Sox have a DH and then named Sheets and the Sox starting LF lol.

So it sounds like, to me, the SOx don't have a DH?

Can you read?  Nowhere did I name SHeets the starting LF.  Not once in my life have I suggested Sheets play LF.  I said Vaughn should be the LF.  Which he should be.  Sox are fucking dumbasses if they run Eloy out in LF everyday.  He'll be on the IL in no time, and decent chance he brings one of Robert, TA and Moncada with him.  Dude is a DH. Time for Sox and Eloy to accept it.  He's only valuable when hes in the lineup, and DHing is the best way to keep him there.  

The Sox need to sign a real RF.  Schwarber is not that. Would I prefer Schwarber to standing pat?  Sure.  But until Conforto is signed elsewhere, I will save the whining.  I wish others would too.   

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  Conveniently ignored while he cherry picks signings with no context.  Silly analysis. 

Unfortunately to sign impact free agents that moves the needle you’d need to commit long term. Otherwise you’d end up exactly we are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can you read?  Nowhere did I named SHeets the starting LF.  Not once in my life have I suggest Sheets play LF.  I said Vaughn should be the LF.  Which he should be.  Sox are fucking dumbasses if they run Eloy out in LF everyday.  He'll be on the IL in no time, and decent chance he brings one of Robert, TA and Moncada with him.  Dude is a DH. Time for Sox and Eloy to accept it.  He's only valuable when hes in the lineup, and DHing is the best way to keep him there.  

The Sox need to sign a real RF.  Schwarber is not that. Would I prefer Schwarber to standing pat?  Sure.  But until Conforto is signed elsewhere, I will save the whining.  I wish others would too.   

Who said you did? Eloy is the teams starting left fielder. Not sure what you don't understand. You named sheets/Eloy as the DH. Given that Eloy is the left fielder, that means sheets is your DH. So the sox don't have a dh as I said. 

And every off season I gotta listen to people like you say don't birch until it's over lol. How many years of this before you understand the sox don't sign people in confortos price range.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I am pretty sure 4/$80-85M would be the offer we gave Conforto. If Schwarber got this deal, I think Conforto would get 5 years and more dollars

I am very curious to see what kind of deal Conforto gets. It's such a mystery to me because of his poor year last year.  Schwarber played only 113 games last year and put up 3.1 WAR (and a 145 wRC+). Conforto is coming off a season where he played 125 games and only put up 0.8 WAR (and a 106 wRC+). Conforto obviously plays better defense, but that is taken into account with the WAR totals.

Obviously it was a down year for Conforto compared to his previous seasons, but how will that affect his contract?  It'll be really interesting to see how it shakes out.

Just for the record, before the Conforto meltdown happens here when he signs elsewhere, who has us linked to him since Free Agency started?

Of is this just wishful thinking by some you folks? 

The Machado stuff a couple years back, as silly as it was with all the Easter Egg Hunting people were doing, that one you could clearly see there was smoke there.

This Conforto thing I truly don't see anywhere we are linked here. 

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Just for the record, before the Conforto meltdown happens here when he signs elsewhere, who has us linked to him since Free Agency started?

Of is this just wishful thinking by some you folks? 

The Machado stuff a couple years back, as silly as it was with all the Easter Egg Hunting people were doing, that one you could clearly see there was smoke there.

This Conforto thing I truly don't see anywhere we are linked here. 

I think people must be thinking "oh the sox will try to improve their team" 

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Unfortunately to sign impact free agents that moves the needle you’d need to commit long term. Otherwise you’d end up exactly we are.

That's fair.  But looking at AAV for this year while dismissing the rest of the contract is cherry picking and dismissing an enormous part of the calcullus.  

Sox needed RP.  They signed 2 solid relievers and a swing man.  Ray thinks he could have chosen better?  Shocking development.  

Sox needed a 2B.  They signed someone I don't love, but he at least plays good 2B and is a sparkplug and the FA market didn't have many options.  I never expected the 2B signing to be a splash.  Harrison is a perfectly acceptable 2B and 9 hole hitter IF IF IF IF IF Sox sign Conforto, who by the way, is still available.  

Kimbrel is still on the rsoter, but they still have a few weeks to trade him.  He'll get moved.    

Honestly, I am not excited about the Sox offseason to this point.  I have a hard time understanding what they're trying to accomplish.  But we're dealing with an incomplete picture.  The order of the deals is somewhat meaningless, even if its hard to see through the trees at this point.  If this is the roster they break camp with, b**** away.  But we're weeks away from that.  And by the way, this roster is still one of the best in baseball and will win this division going away.  

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How do you get a stress fracture in a rib? That's a new one.

I swear this happened to Montas also

edit: it appears to have gotten Montas twice and he had surgery to remove the rib because of it

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-sn-dodgers-frankie-montas-20160212-story.html?_amp=true

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

From who?  I'm genuinely curious which teams would still offer Conforto 5/100 at this point.  Padres possibly, but if they pivot to Freeman, Castellanos or someone else, then they'd be out.

The entire NL west is after him. The Dodgers/Padres whoever doesn’t get Freeman will be willing open up the checkbook.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Who said you did? Eloy is the teams starting left fielder. Not sure what you don't understand 

edit: misread the comment. My bad. 

image.gif

Edited by ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Boston has been rumored on all the OF bats and they traded for Schwarber last year. They also have tons of new tax space they haven’t used yet. That seems darn likely now.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I swear this happened to Montas also

It's possible but there isn't much stress there to get a stress fracture. A fracture with a fall happens all the time. Even a sneeze in a 65 year I'll with osteoporosis.  

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am very curious to see what kind of deal Conforto gets. It's such a mystery to me because of his poor year last year.  Schwarber played only 113 games last year and put up 3.1 WAR (and a 145 wRC+). Conforto is coming off a season where he played 125 games and only put up 0.8 WAR (and a 106 wRC+). Conforto obviously plays better defense, but that is taken into account with the WAR totals.

Obviously it was a down year for Conforto compared to his previous seasons, but how will that affect his contract?  It'll be really interesting to see how it shakes out.

Can the Sox afford to hand out their first $100 million contract to a guy who could potentially put up a <1 WAR in a season?  

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But you just said the Sox have a DH and then named Sheets and the Sox starting LF lol.

So it sounds like, to me, the SOx don't have a DH?

@ChiSox59

The confusion happened with the part I highlighted above.  Ray Ray meant that you named Sheets and the guy who is currently our LF (Eloy) as the DH options.  He didn't mean that you were claiming Sheets is the LF.

• Fire 1