Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

I'm not happy with the off-season to this poin but they can still salvage it. I'd probably grade it a D after seeing similar pitchers/players getting lesser deals. Very meh.

Let's see what they do with RF and if they add another SP.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They have added to their rotation as well.

Yea but they lost Ray too.  They will be fine pitching the ball but clearly they have taken the boys be boppin approach 

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I mean, what was the plan we expected, Michael Fucking Conforto?    Is this what's making everyone lose their fucking minds? 

The plan was to be 3-4 wins better on paper by now, that is not the case and several other contenders have done so. I'm not going to the mattresses yet but it certainly is frustrating and dampens the mood a bit around the new season.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

VaFan?  Eminor?   Even the mods are getting tired of defending the front office…you can tell their hearts are not really in it 100%

Ahh yes. I am sure if and when Conforto signs else where I am sure VAfan will reassure us in the other thread that we didn't need RF upgrade and that we're as good as any team out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I mean, what was the plan we expected, Michael Fucking Conforto?    Is this what's making everyone lose their fucking minds? 

He just symbolizes the frustration of how difficult finding a solid all-around LH-hitting RFer and legit replacement for Madrigal has become.

I’ve watched enough Twins/Yankees and Twins against anyone but the A’s over the last two decades to know how this ends.

Right now, most Sox fans would be pretty darned surprised if this team made it to the World Series in one of the next three seasons.  Anything’s possible, but that doesn’t mean it approximates likely.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What would the Sox have had to give up for Chapman? He's good enough defensively, if I was RH, I would tell Yoan, you're back at 2B.

If he did it now we could insert a potential 0.260+ hitter with 25+ HR potential into the lineup at 3B.  

Instead we are taking that hitter and "giving him reps" at 2B lmao.  Jerry and TLR are dumb as shit. 

16 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Seriously, who hasn't lost it yet this offseason with this bullshit plan? I want to know because I commend you for your patience and your positivity.

Me. I don't love the offseason so far but it's still not over. I'm not entirely optimistic on what might come, but I have better things to do than gnash my teeth and wallow in misery about an offseason that isn't complete yet. I'll reserve my right to be annoyed and upset after we see the final results.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hahn's job is so secure, he was able to burn about 8 million extra dollars on Kimbrel this season.  Could have easily bought him out and resigned him if he was adamant on keeping him... but he burned millions in the name of giving himself a chance to still win the trade.  

• Like 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Ahh yes. I am sure if and when Conforto signs else where I am sure VAfan will reassure us in the other thread that we didn't need RF upgrade and that we're as good as any team out there.

Ray Ray is right.  We are a lot closer to 8-9 than #2 in the majors.

Especially with how thin that starting rotation actually is…even one season ending injury there to Gio/Lynn/Cease and they’re quickly behind the 8 ball in May/June desperation mode and sporting the worst farm system in baseball to trade from. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Hahn's job is so secure, he was able to burn about 8 million extra dollars on Kimbrel this season.  Could have easily bought him out and resigned him if he was adamant on keeping him... but he burned millions in the name of giving himself a chance to still win the trade.  

If you did buy him out, why would Kimbrel take a pay cut to be a set up man for merely $10-12 million when many were suggesting he was fairly priced at $15-16 million as an “elite” closer?   Wouldn’t doing that make him even LESS likely to be happy with the Sox than he already is stuck in limbo due to this situation?

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

That fucking trade is going to haunt us a long time isn't it.

4 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Jose Ramirez to Blue Jays. Yikes 

Wow…if you’re the Rays and have Glasnow out the whole season, do you finally burn it down?   The Orioles basically amount to Means, Mullins and Rutschmann.    

God, it must suck to be an Indians’ fan.

Bieber has to be next, keeping him now makes almost no sense.   Karinchak and Clase are going to attract interest as well.   The White Sox might as well go after Plesac or Cy Civale.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why is everyone getting better except us

Because JR is still cheap. People are saying 'no way is he cheap,' but I think you can have a top 5 payroll and be cheap in certain ways. There's a lingering secondplaceness here. Perhaps in a semantic sense it's better considered as a kind of complacency or lack of urgency, but whatever. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Me. I don't love the offseason so far but it's still not over. I'm not entirely optimistic on what might come, but I have better things to do than gnash my teeth and wallow in misery about an offseason that isn't complete yet. I'll reserve my right to be annoyed and upset after we see the final results.

Expecting the worst from here till end of the off season save you the trouble of any dramatic outbursts at the end. I call it the Parkman mentality.

But seriously, I do really hope they pull it off at the end, but have very low expectations.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That fucking trade is going to haunt us a long time isn't it.

The fact that we’re still having to live with it into 2022 is the unacceptable part.

Move on, part ways like they did with Hernandez.  This degree of stubbornness is just asinine.  Usually the best gamblers know when to cut their losses to avoid making things even worse.  Now we’re compounding that mistake with multiple bad moves all set in motion by the fact he was never going to be a great fit as a set up guy converting on the fly.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ray Ray is right.  We are a lot closer to 8-9 than #2 in the majors.

Especially with how thin that starting rotation actually is…even one season ending injury there to Gio/Lynn/Cease and they’re quickly behind the 8 ball in May/June desperation mode and sporting the worst farm system in baseball to trade from. 

Our future ranking, if factoring in the farm, places in the middle of the pack. Only saving grace being the extensions Hahn was able to pull off.