Spring Training thread

Balta1701

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

So would your initial offer be 5 for $110, with an opt out after year 2?

If this were a normal winter, I would open at $4/80 but wouldn't be afraid to jump to 5/$110 with an opt out.  In this compacted FA before camp I'd probably be more aggressive and try to meet his number faster.  Conforto is the fit we need and the team is a young hungry division champ.  I'd be selling him on all of that but with the dollars to seal the deal.

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

So would your initial offer be 5 for $110, with an opt out after year 2?

I think you do that and it gets done pretty quick. Maybe tweaking the dollars a little bit. That’s got to be where the market is for this player. If I have to put in a couple more million somewhere to finish it, oh darn I can’t sign a Velasquez next year?

Boras asks high, but not insanely so. This player hasn’t earned anything like a 6th year or a $140 guaranteed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If this were a normal winter, I would open at $4/80 but wouldn't be afraid to jump to 5/$110 with an opt out.  In this compacted FA before camp I'd probably be more aggressive and try to meet his number faster.  Conforto is the fit we need and the team is a young hungry division champ.  I'd be selling him on all of that but with the dollars to seal the deal.

Yeah, the reason I asked @Balta1701 if he would open at the 5/$110M offer is because I'd probably be willing to go there, but I certainly wouldn't open with that. I would probably offer 4/$84 and see what happens initially. If Boras is trying to get you to increase the offer, that means there probably isn't another team offering 5 years yet. It also gives you a chance to see what the rest of the market looks like (which appears to be happening right now).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I think you do that and it gets done pretty quick. Maybe tweaking the dollars a little bit. That’s got to be where the market is for this player.

Boras asks high, but not insanely so. This player hasn’t earned anything like a 6th year or a $140 guaranteed.

Yeah, I hear you. I explained my thinking in the post above this, but I don't disagree that your offer would probably get it done quickly. The only question would be whether it could have gotten done for much less.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, I hear you. I explained my thinking in the post above this, but I don't disagree that your offer would probably get it done quickly. The only question would be whether it could have gotten done for much less.

And that's a valid question, but not one that I'd risk waiting to find the answer to.  We aren't in a normal offseason and the number of bidders makes it feel like a bit of a wild card.  I wouldn't mess around and low ball or incrementally bump it up, I would start with a stronger opening bid in hopes I could lock him up quick.

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And that's a valid question, but not one that I'd risk waiting to find the answer to.  We aren't in a normal offseason and the number of bidders makes it feel like a bit of a wild card.  I wouldn't mess around and low ball or incrementally bump it up, I would start with a stronger opening bid in hopes I could lock him up quick.

There’s also enough other options on the market that Boras’s side knows that once one team is serious and done playing the waiting game, if he doesn’t get it done they will move to someone else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Please tell me they're not actually considering Mercedes as a legit OF option. 

If anything, it shows that this org couldn't give two shits about defense. 

I don't know what's more ridiculous between Yermin working out in LF or you thinking they would actually consider using him there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the same org that is using Andrew Vaughn and Gavin Sheets in RF, so.......

• After pretty much all of their OF went down with injuries
  • Sheets had been working on his OF defense for a year after they drafted Vaughn
  • Those two are much more athletic than Yermin
  • They can also catch a ball
  • Right now they still have the following options instead of Yermin: Eloy, Engel, Leury, Harrison, Sheets, Vaughn, Romy, and worst comes to worst, Cespedes, Basabe, and maybe Micker if he's still around? Hell, Mendick, Burger, and Velazquez are in the corners before Yermin. I didn't include Robert because he's in center field in all scenarios. 
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

22 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There’s no other interpretation of this other than Hahn is done with the outfield. Unless they trade one or both guys for a real outfielder. To sign Conforto  is to go against what Hahn just said about ABs for those two. The Bulls wouldn’t be afraid of going all in on a trade for a team finishing move. For some reason these Sox people are fucking stuck.

Edited by Chick Mercedes