White Sox Sign RP Joe Kelly (2yrs with a club option; $17m)

DirtySox

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I see no point in arguing at all. I'm not going to look up a blanket statement covering all MLB teams and see how many relief pitchers they signed or traded for. Balta was specifically having a discussion with SS2k5 and used his own words against him. 20 guys in the minors and he wasn't worried about the BP for the next few years. I don't know how long the next few years meant .You'd have to ask the source or ask him who the 20 pitchers were in which he had all that confidence.

You have to also look at it in terms of their drafting philosophy of going after high upside relief arms.

We had a pretty average farm system in 2012 but almost made the playoffs behind Quintana and 12 other rookies pitchers, mostly in bullpen roles.

The two best White Sox internally-produced relievers after Bummer shouldn't even be used in those roles, arguably.

I am excited to have Joe Kelly though. He was in near all my 2022 mock-ups.

Watching bullpen pitcher after bullpen pitcher of ours (except bummer) try to blow fastballs by the Astros and fail, only to watch joe Kelly the next day put in two innings when a LAD starter struggled vs braves and shut them down with all offspeed stuff cemented that.

When we are in the playoffs, we now have a bullpen pitcher who won’t piss down his leg trying to find the strike zone when we need them most.

Plus he’s hilarious.

• Like 2

I still expect Kimbrel to be traded, but what if he isn't and he returns to even close to how he was with the Cubs last year.  The Sox bullpen could win them a lot of games.

Plus, adding another asshole to the staff is always a good move.  With Kopech, Lynn, Kelly, and Hendriks, there's going to be a brawl at some point with some team.

16 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

Nothing wrong with strawman exercises as long as everyone involved understands that the given activity is a strawman and what a strawman proposal/argument is in the first place. I'm risking getting pedantic here, but have spent years planning military options and courses of action and have used strawman processes with excellent results. Not throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a relevant point in these exercises.

When the strawman exercise isn't really of intellectual value, it is a waste of everyone's time.  In this case bathwater is pre-pissed in.

For example, in this case the argument is that the Sox percentage of payroll is too great to the bullpen.  So in other words, it would be worse to bring on Ohtani to play RF, because he gets paid so little, and would further contribute to our payroll being out of balance, versus trading for someone like Cano who makes a ton of money, but would put a big payroll number in the OF, and bring us back into balance.  It essentially argues that it is a bad thing to have two cost controlled young superstar potential players in LF and CF, because it doesn't allow a high enough percentage of our payroll to go to OFs, instead allowing us to spend on RPs, or other ownership perceived weak-spots.

Any argument that has that big of flaws in it to tell us that Cano would be a better fit for the Sox than Ohtani is, to borrow a phrase, Stoopid.

Look we don't need a big RF because we didn't give huge free agent contracts out to the other two OFs, or give Robert and Eloy bigger than needed deals to keep some made up theory in balance, we need a big RF because we haven't gotten any production out of the ones we have had out there recently, and it gives us a better chance to win the regular season and in October.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Good news is Kelly is/was hurt and won't be ready for opening day.

Kelly's lucky he didn't have to miss 6 months. His injury was in mid October. Even in the worst case scenario he should be back by mid April. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I am excited to have Joe Kelly though. He was in near all my 2022 mock-ups.

Watching bullpen pitcher after bullpen pitcher of ours (except bummer) try to blow fastballs by the Astros and fail, only to watch joe Kelly the next day put in two innings when a LAD starter struggled vs braves and shut them down with all offspeed stuff cemented that.

When we are in the playoffs, we now have a bullpen pitcher who won’t piss down his leg trying to find the strike zone when we need them most.

Plus he’s hilarious.

I like the additions of Kelly and Harrison on a qualitative basis. They bring some energy that could be positive.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Yet we avoided Eduardo Escobar like he had the plague.

Pitchers in the same sentence with nerve damage never exactly a reassuring thing.

Now really feeling they will keep Kimbrel on the roster, assuming a war of attrition the first 2-3 months of the season due to an abbreviated spring training will ensue.

1 hour ago, KBX said:

I like the additions of Kelly and Harrison on a qualitative basis. They bring some energy that could be positive.

For a team with Anderson, Eloy, and Hendriks on it, the number of people who seem to think the white Sox need more energy is rather interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

So, is it official that the Tepera ship has sailed?

Well, if they trade Kimbrel they will still have bullpen room if they want to use it. That would be: Hendriks, Kelly, Graveman, Vasquez, Lopez from the right side, and they'll probably carry an 8 man bullpen, so there would be a 6th spot if Kimbrel were moved.