White Sox Sign RP Joe Kelly (2yrs with a club option; $17m)

DirtySox

21 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Is someone gonna tell Joe that Kimbrel might not be here for long?

or did Kimbrel tell Joe that he would  1. Be here till the trade deadline in July.  or 2. Be gone next week so he can take over his lease.  or 3. Will be the closer on the South Side and you can be my set-up man like we did in Boston. 

18 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I wonder what the thought process was for this signing. Hey Joe, I know you’re injured and you haven’t been a high leverage guy for a while, but let me give you the third largest RP contract this off-season and you come play for us. Oh you know about our needs at RF and SP? Oh we will worry about that later!

If you count the Rays as an outlier, there's actually a noticeable relationship between bullpens pitching fewer innings and teams winning more games. The Rays were the only playoff team in the top 10 of bullpen innings. Unless you're running a roster like the Rays, this implies that playoff teams have a need for some bullpen help but extra guys will start becoming overkill. 

Picture1.png

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you count the Rays as an outlier, there's actually a noticeable relationship between bullpens pitching fewer innings and teams winning more games. The Rays were the only playoff team in the top 10 of bullpen innings. Unless you're running a roster like the Rays, this implies that playoff teams have a need for some bullpen help but extra guys will start becoming overkill. 

Picture1.png

I think this will change going forward with the way starting pitching philosophy is evolving.  I don't like it but I think that's the way its heading.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think this will change going forward with the way starting pitching philosophy is evolving.  I don't like it but I think that's the way its heading.

I don't. While the Rays are their own thing...bad teams are bad because they don't have starters who can give them 2 quality times through the order. Bad teams rely on their bullpens to fill more innings because their starters get shelled too early. 

You need quality relief up to a certain point...but beyond that, you're overspending on low-leverage innings. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't. While the Rays are their own thing...bad teams are bad because they don't have starters who can give them 2 quality times through the order. Bad teams rely on their bullpens to fill more innings because their starters get shelled too early. 

You need quality relief up to a certain point...but beyond that, you're overspending on low-leverage innings. 

Good in theory and that's the latest philosophy but 9 innings used to be the goal, then it was 7, then the quality start of 6. Now they barely do 5.

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I think we overpaid for Joe Kelly

An injured Joe Kelly at that. 

55 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Joe Kelly is being massively overpaid. I like the player but at 8.5m yikes.  Brad Hand signed for 1/6m. How do you pay Kelly more than that?

Enjoy the guy’s personality, but if he was signed in place of Tepera then I don’t understand it. 

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Isn't there a 3rd year attached to this too?

Option/buyout…$9.5 million vs. $1 million.

Let’s not forget the Dodgers paid him $4 million to get lost…when they were likely losing Jansen as well.

Edited by caulfield12