Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can't get over how bad this move is. Joe Kelly makes some sense to an extent and is a potentially quality player. Josh Harrison is replaceable by Romy Gonzalez. I'd say it's greater than 45% that Romy would outperform Harrison if they played the same amount next year. 

See my post right after yours. It's the perfect Sox Manager , FO and JR move.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can't get over how bad this move is. Joe Kelly makes some sense to an extent and is a potentially quality player. Josh Harrison is replaceable by Romy Gonzalez. I'd say it's greater than 45% that Romy would outperform Harrison if they played the same amount next year. 

vEtErAn pReSeNcE

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Literally the only thing stopping him is his health. Granted that is important,  but he doesn't suck.

Yep - he may not be the upside you want from a guy picked that high - but dude can hit and for a high average. But Jack thinks he’s garbage…smh. 

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don't know why you didn't just pick up Hernandez's option instead. Obviously dude had a rough year but who is really more likely to be better in 2022?

Harrison had a .741 OPS last year and Hernandez had .694 so I'm gonna gamble on the guy who was almost 50 points better last year.

I don't know why you didn't just pick up Hernandez's option instead. Obviously dude had a rough year but who is really more likely to be better in 2022?

Harrison was just as bad as Hernandez after he got traded to the A's. It is a bit puzzling why they didn't decline the option and try to bring him back on the cheap. The Nats signed him for 4 million. 

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Harrison had a .741 OPS last year and Hernandez had .694 so I'm gonna gamble on the guy who was almost 50 points better last year.

It's absolutely silly to only consider last year's OPS when projecting performance. Hernandez is three years younger and has been a better, healthier, and more consistent player throughout his career.

I don't think there's a massive difference between the two of them for 2022, but we chose the older and riskier option.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Harrison was just as bad as Hernandez after he got traded to the A's. It is a bit puzzling why they didn't decline the option and try to bring him back on the cheap. The Nats signed him for 4 million. 

Because he was bad here and didn’t have any energy or pop.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because he was bad here and didn’t have any energy or pop.

And yet he still put up similar numbers to Harrison over the last 2 months. I think that speaks more about Harrison than Hernandez. 

• Like 1

It's absolutely silly to only consider last year's OPS when projecting performance. Hernandez is three years younger and has been a better, healthier, and more consistent player throughout his career.

I don't think there's a massive difference between the two of them for 2022, but we chose the older and riskier option.

Harrison was literally released two years ago. Signed with Detroit, had a negative WAR season by a good bit, signed with the Nationals for 1 year ONE million and was worse than Leury in his best season since 2017... and then somehow parlays that into a 5.5 million dollar deal with the White Sox for his age 35 season. Amazing when you consider all of that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harrison was literally released two years ago. Signed with Detroit, had a negative WAR season by a good bit, signed with the Nationals for 1 year ONE million and was worse than Leury in his best season since 2017... and then somehow parlays that into a 5.5 million dollar deal with the White Sox for his age 35 season. Amazing when you consider all of that.

Harrison had a very good 2021 for the Nats.  Better than Leury Garcia by a lot.  (120 OPS+ v. 96 OPS+).   Harrison had a bad last two months in Oakland, however, but still finished better than Garcia on the year.  

What Harrison provides is a veteran with positional flexibility so the Sox don't have to carry Danny Mendick for 71 games and 186 ABs.  Between Garcia and Harrison they can cover 2B, and back up SS, 3B, LF, RF, CF.  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

The “big move” didn’t need to be at 2b. I didn’t say that. 

But the Sox weren’t that close to Houston last season, and thus far are a worse team in 2022 than 2021. Josh Harrison and Joe Kelly aren’t pushing this team over the edge. That’s the point. 

The "big move" I would have made would have been to re-sign Carlos Rodon.  

The reason the Sox failed against Houston was their starting pitching was fried at the end of the year, plus Jimenez was not himself offensively.  If we had a healthy and rested starting staff headed by Rodon, and the offense we can produce with Luis Robert and Jimenez in prime form, I would take us over just about any team in baseball.  Without Rodon, we're going to need Kopech to be a top-3 postseason starter, and that's going to be hard this year.   Either that, or our new bullpen needs to be lights out.  

1 hour ago, fathom said:

The Sox clearly didn’t want Rodon back. You really need to get over it.

I agree.  I hoped otherwise, but by not tendering him, they showed their hand.   I'll still think it's a mistake, but the Sox know better than anyone the condition of Rodon's arm, and if they felt he was too much of an injury risk, then I'll have to accept it.  

I think they've fixed the bullpen, but they are going to need to find another viable starter, preferably a lefty AND still hope Keuchel bounces back enough to be serviceable.  Because Kopech can't carry enough innings to be a full-time starter and they only have Lopez in reserve.  There isn't much depth in the minors.  

46 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

If there's not much of  difference, then give me the one who was a better hitter last year

25 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The "big move" I would have made would have been to re-sign Carlos Rodon.  

The reason the Sox failed against Houston was their starting pitching was fried at the end of the year, plus Jimenez was not himself offensively.  If we had a healthy and rested starting staff headed by Rodon, and the offense we can produce with Luis Robert and Jimenez in prime form, I would take us over just about any team in baseball.  Without Rodon, we're going to need Kopech to be a top-3 postseason starter, and that's going to be hard this year.   Either that, or our new bullpen needs to be lights out.  

I agree.  A quality SP would be the biggest difference-maker for this team.