Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sheets is a huge part of why this team sucks against RHP. Relying on him as one the key lefty bats was an awful misstep for Hahn, as about 90% of this board told you repeatedly all offseason. 

Now, I will give you Yoan and Yaz forgetting how to hit left handed are bigger let downs (and surprises). 

Injury and under-performance by half the team is why we probably won't win the division...not Sheets/Vaughn/Engel playing RF.  My off-season remarks were aimed at 2nd base being the #1 need and Conforto not being better than the RF combo mentioned above.  Just for the record...90% of this board doesn't agree on anything.

22 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

FWIW, since Tony left, AJ is .268/.312/.479/.791 with the bat.  No idea how to get a split on his defensive numbers.

Almost the same as his stats post ASB. Like most MLB players with some amount of talent after a bad 1st half they do better in the 2nd half when healthy. More than likely has nothing to do with TLR if you're intent was to show causation.

Can't say the same thing about the whole team since the results speak for themselves but we knew long before Cairo took over TLR was a terrible choice from the start. But I'm not convinced he won't be back

Hopefully JR can figure this out on his own, but if Hahn is fired instead ,JR may just bring in a yes man GM who'll agree to keep TLR as manager next year.

Splits aren't good in season any way for defense. They always need time to get a true sample. You'd think you would know that by now. I was screaming bloody murder about Vaughn's ability to play the OF last year and you were one of those who kept insisting he was fine in LF. I was was yelling he's too damn slow and is going to get slower. Just like the many who insisted the Sox know best about Rodon's health when not extending  the QO. Now that he's been healthy the whole year I truly hope that thread or multiple threads about it gets pulled up for off season entertainment.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Since he was sent to the minors and brought back he has a .784 OPS and 9 HR in 218 PAs. His BABIP is also a little low and that could be helped by the shift ban next year, so effectively that’s an .800 OPS pace. He was definitely a guy trying to hit weak ground balls the other way all the time in April and May, so a real hitting coach could help make that a real thing for him. From 1b that would be tolerable - a .750 OPS guy there is about 1 WAR and an .800 OPS guy there is about 2 WAR. Guys like Hoskins and Cron are getting $7 million a year for that production.

That’s not worth trading anything for, but if your roster is in a financial crunch next year (the Sox are) that isn’t the worst option I’ve ever seen.

For Gods sake though throw whoever suggests trying him in the OF out the nearest window.

I'm glad you're impartial in your assessment because many aren't. He's getting a little old to think he could be better than what he is now but if he could hit on the road like he has at home everyone would love his bat. But somehow in some way the same person can be a stud in one venue and a dude in anything other than his home field. I know splits can often be slanted at home for many players but the difference between his home and road splits are mind boggling.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm glad you're impartial in your assessment because many aren't. He's getting a little old to think he could be better than what he is now but if he could hit on the road like he has at home everyone would love his bat. But somehow in some way the same person can be a stud in one venue and a dude in anything other than his home field. I know splits can often be slanted at home for many players but the difference between his home and road splits are mind boggling.

I appreciate how "throwing anyone who suggests playing Sheets in the OF out the nearest window" is now labeled as impartial.  :lolhitting

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Almost the same as his stats post ASB. Like most MLB players with some amount of talent after a bad 1st half they do better in the 2nd half when healthy. More than likely has nothing to do with TLR if you're intent was to show causation.

Can't say the same thing about the whole team since the results speak for themselves but we knew long before Cairo took over TLR was a terrible choice from the start. But I'm not convinced he won't be back

Hopefully JR can figure this out on his own, but if Hahn is fired instead ,JR may just bring in a yes man GM who'll agree to keep TLR as manager next year.

Splits aren't good in season any way for defense. They always need time to get a true sample. You'd think you would know that by now. I was screaming bloody murder about Vaughn's ability to play the OF last year and you were one of those who kept insisting he was fine in LF. I was was yelling he's too damn slow and is going to get slower. Just like the many who insisted the Sox know best about Rodon's health when not extending  the QO. Now that he's been healthy the whole year I truly hope that thread or multiple threads about it gets pulled up for off season entertainment.

If you separate out 2nd half with Tony, and 2nd half without there is still a pretty fair step up Post Tony.

.256/.318/.427/.745 2nd half with Tony and .268/.312/.479/.791 after.  When you look at just second half, this streak obvious skews things.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I appreciate how "throwing anyone who suggests playing Sheets in the OF out the nearest window" is now labeled as impartial.  :lolhitting

You only commented on his hitting which I agree with. Remember I've led the charge for "Free Colas" so who do you think Colas would replace ? That's right Sheets! So although I thought at the beginning of the year he should get a fair shot , he did, and he's not the answer and never was the answer in the OF .I wanted him to get mostly DH and some 1st base AB's. I don't fall in love with players. I just want them all to do well.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Sounds like he ain't coming back unless we trade Vaughn.

After the playoffs, Rick Hahn conducted his exit interview with Jose Abreu and told him Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to personally meet with him after their discussion.

Rick Hahn has no say in this issue, nor should he. Jerry is the Chairman and Jerry will bring Abreu back if Abreu wants to return to the Chicago White Sox. 

Rick and Tony made this mess with all the crap signed over the past three seasons. Abreu should not pay the price for the incompetence of others.

1 hour ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Tell me the Sox aren't re-signing Abreu without telling me the Sox aren't re-signing Abreu....

I think Hahn made it pretty clear. "We need to get Vaughn back to his natural position"

Don't be surprised if JR overrides the management and signs him again.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Not really, no.  The kid is a DH in waiting who hasn't been able to consistently hit. What's the attraction?

The Sox being desperate for lefties and they say Gavin has been improving a bit at bat. Ideally Gavin would be maybe your fourth best lefty and a decent bench piece. His road splits are kind of weird. 

24 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Love you Pito, always will.  It will pain me to see you play elsewhere, but it’s the right move. 

This.  It will really suck. While it’s a no brainer decision, it’s still a bit of a I’ll believe it when I see it situation. Could definitely see Sox bringing back Abreu and trading AV for SP (would prefer a 2B if you go that route) or pretending like Eloy can play LF. I don’t think that’s be an optimal move, but definitely could see the JR override. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

After the playoffs, Rick Hahn conducted his exit interview with Jose Abreu and told him Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to personally meet with him after their discussion.

Rick Hahn has no say in this issue, nor should he. Jerry is the Chairman and Jerry will bring Abreu back if Abreu wants to return to the Chicago White Sox. 

Rick and Tony made this mess with all the crap signed over the past three seasons. Abreu should not pay the price for the incompetence of others.

Jerry is the owner, owners of professional sports do not get in the middle of personnel discussions unless its "hey can I spend more money than the budget says".   f*** Jerry.

Havent we been down this road before with other players who have eventually fallen off a cliff due to age.  Jettisoning younger players to keep a fan favorite seems great until you realize Jerry isnt going to spend unlimited money this offseason.  This will get bad sooner than later if we start getting rid of younger mlb players for older ones.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This.  It will really suck. While it’s a no brainer decision, it’s still a bit of a I’ll believe it when I see it situation. Could definitely see Sox bringing back Abreu and trading AV for SP (would prefer a 2B if you go that route) or pretending like Eloy can play LF. I don’t think that’s be an optimal move, but definitely could see the JR override. 

I can 100% see something like this happening too.  If he wants to return on the cheap as a part time player, I’m happy to try to find a spot.  But that’s just not the Abreu we’ve known so I doubt he’s ok with that role.  

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Your last paragraph is crap. Tony was Jerry’s hire and the subsequent moves were at the behest of Tony. I’m not defending Hahn, because he’s a terrible GM who went into the season with 5 DHs without ever addressing the black holes on the team, the entire ownership and front office are incompetent.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Quin changed the title to Where will Jose Abreu be in 2023?
  • Texsox locked this topic