Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Maybe he’s pissed with the lack of moves on the front office side.

Could be but the impression I get is that he's thinking about his family and is tired of baseball a bit, maybe climbing the mountain so many times but not quite summiting has gotten to him.  Quite the contrast from "I'll sign myself" a couple years ago.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He has more money than he ever imagined. He gets really beat up every season.  If they win it all and he gets a ring, there really is nothing left for him to play for.

That's what I'm thinking. Even if they don't win it all I can see him saying enough. He's got generational wealth, he's got an MVP, he's played in the playoffs. He's accomplished quite a bit. He's a Sox legend and will get a statue. If he wants to spend more time with his family who can blame him and it might honestly help the Sox if he decides to retire anyways.

• Like 3

Sounds like good reason to to keep his replacement pieces around. If I were GM I'd be leaning let him go regardless of what he thinks. I'm not worried about RH power hitting in the long haul, and the Sox haven't been in need of 1B power since the 80s.

Edited by KBX
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Definintely a weird change in enthusiasm for being a White Sox for life he were to continue playing.

Yeah a couple years ago it was "I'm going to sign myself." Now it sounds like a guy who maybe has this year and maybe next in him only. I bet Ron is thrilled.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

There is always the chance something could have been lost in translation, but it could also be a case of recognizing that he makes a lot of money, and the Sox have both Vaughn and Sheets in the wings.

It would also be a recognition of he will be 36 by the time the next season starts, and it is getting harder and harder at this age to stay ready for baseball.  It's a grind.  Maybe he wants to relax a bit.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah a couple years ago it was "I'm going to myself." Now is sounds like a guy who maybe has this year and maybe next in him only. I bet Ron is thrilled.

I don't think there's anything weird about wanting to step away, but that response feels a little bit like he feels the Sox have told him they're not going to extend him further.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'll be the one who takes the unvalidated but can't be ruled out shot at him...one big change since last contract is the presence of LaRussa. 

I expect a 2/3 split in favor of laugh responses. Get to it.

That's not your worst theory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah a couple years ago it was "I'm going to sign myself." Now it sounds like a guy who maybe has this year and maybe next in him only. I bet Ron is thrilled.

I think Ron actually likes Abreu quite a bit. 

It's just that he likes getting a rise out of people even more. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Whatever Jose decides to do I wish him the absolute best whether it's being with his family, moving on or staying here. He has earned that right.

And this also is all the more reason for Vaughn to stay here. Sox will be fine at 1B going forward.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Whatever Jose decides to do I wish him the absolute best whether it's being with his family, moving on or staying here. He has earned that right.

And this also is all the more reason for Vaughn to stay here. Sox will be fine at 1B going forward.

Exactly. They can't get rid of Vaughn now. A very good cost controlled 1B for 6 years (esp after they get last year back with a AAA stint) shouldn't be moved for a rental SP. 

1 hour ago, KBX said:

Sounds like good reason to to keep his replacement pieces around. If I were GM I'd be leaning let him go regardless of what he thinks. I'm not worried about RH power hitting in the long haul, and the Sox haven't been in need of 1B power since the 80s.

At the end of the day, its just first base. They shouldn’t base decisions on Sheets and Vaughn based on this.

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'll be the one who takes the unvalidated but can't be ruled out shot at him...one big change since last contract is the presence of LaRussa. 

Prediction:  Ron is going to protest you getting so many responses. 

Threats of converting to Cubs' fandom have extremely limited shelf life.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The LaRussa signing is working out better than I could have ever imagined

• Haha 2

• Quin changed the title to Where will Jose Abreu be in 2023?
  • Texsox locked this topic