Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Until something meaningful and legitimately positive happens this is pretty much how it's gonna be. 

Blame the team, not the posters.

I mean, I come here daily to be amongst like minded curmudgeons, I expect nothing less and find it comforting to know I'm not alone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

When did he get traded to the Sox?

Also 100 RBI's and almost 40 HR.  Yeah thats worth $20M+

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Meaningless to me.  Votto has been downhill since like his age 33 season and is on his massive contract still.  Its like saying that when Soto hits 40.  Who cares about someone getting paid huge at the end of their career on a long term contract. 

Huh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

That just means that he's better vs. righties than he is lefties. So that's a platoon bat, isn't it? 

.200 avg against one side vs .240 against one side

Harper hit better against LHP than what 85-95% of our roster and a majority of MLB players

If Harper hits .200 against LHP, yes that is a platoon bat.  

Your comparisons suck, maybe find one that works to support you argument 

Harper hit better against LHP than what 85-95% of our roster and a majority of MLB players

Your argument sucks, which is why I'm barely bothering to have a good faith conversation with you. 

• Haha 1

Your batting average arguments however, these are impeccable.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 3

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Josh Nelson really has no idea what he's talking about. He seems like a nice guy, but his knowledge on contracts, baseball, trade value and player values, and beyond is just so poor for someone who speaks on so many platforms about the game. 

I don't neccessarily disagree with the general point he's making here, but listening to this guy talk about baseball and the White Sox is like listening to Chicago White Sox talk about making rational life decisions on where one should live and why.

edit: Southside2k on one of his weird post deleting tantrums. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Sure, Conforto is not that. 

We had a .671 OPS out of RF last year.

Conforto is his career worst year filled injuries was .729.  His career number is .824.  If you leave off 2021 it becomes .843.  Even at his worst, he is a large improvement.  At his career average he is a huge improvement.  If he gets near his career upper end, he would be worth an almost 300 point OPS improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Josh Nelson really has no idea what he's talking about. He seems like a nice guy, but his knowledge on contracts, baseball, trade value and player values, and beyond is just so poor for someone who speaks on so many platforms about the game. 

I don't neccessarily disagree with the general point he's making here, but listening to this guy talk about baseball and the White Sox is like listening to Chicago White Sox talk about making rational life decisions on where one should live and why.

edit: Southside2k on one of his weird post deleting tantrums. 

I tried listening to his pod once or twice, it was shockingly stupid for a guy that spends so much time covering the team and making it a public persona. But, the same is true of his boss Jim.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Hmmm, seems like those 5/110 numbers are right in line with their potential ask.  Not at all unreasonable IMO.

I actually think an opt out after 2 years can benefit the Sox. But in the scenario where he turns into Adam Dunn (not saying that's likely), you're stuck with him for 5 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I tried listening to his pod once or twice, it was shockingly stupid for a guy that spends so much time covering the team and making it a public persona. But, the same is true of his boss Jim.

You and I are on the same page on this one.  I have no idea what people get out of following him.

• Like 2

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Jim isn't perfect, but he does have a strong historical understanding of the organization and it's players and is a good reference for White Sox history imo. He also doesn't pretend to have knowledge or ideas on potential trades or inside info. Nelson on the other hand... he has been portraying himself as that kind of person in the last year and it's just not a good look on him. He's that drunk guy at games yelling behind you things that leave you wondering if it was their first baseball game ever, or if they've ever even picked up a bat before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Conforto is his career worst year filled injuries was .729.  His career number is .824.  If you leave off 2021 it becomes .843.  Even at his worst, he is a large improvement.  At his career average he is a huge improvement.  If he gets near his career upper end, he would be worth an almost 300 point OPS improvement.

He fills one of the biggest holes/needs on this team and people are turning their nose up.  It's not like they are trying to sign a new face of the franchise here, just a valuable piece.  Makes no sense to me.  

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lol.  You are comparing Adam Eaton and Leury Garcia to MLB players 🤣

• Quin locked this topic