Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Hard to believe Dodgers would want Kimbrel at a similar price that they could have just brought Kenley at.

It's about an even money trade if it's Bellinger. If they just signed Jansen it's an additional 16.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's about an even money trade if it's Bellinger. If they just signed Jansen it's an additional 16.

lol i will be awe if Hahn can flip Kimbrel for Bellinger. Seems so far fetched imo. 

53 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Again, I don't think it's much of an issue because that's only this year. Even if they keep him, it's only this year. I think the issue is more how many years they are committed to it.

It was an issue because, for one, Kimbrel solved/solves zero problems. For two, it apparently deferred sction on other roster issues, while available options went off the board.

It is and was, fucking stupid to trade for him, and then, to pickup the option.

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You always go after your big needs first, starting pitchers, RF and 2B.

There will always be relief pitchers, especially in this version of the sport with guys struggling to go five innings.

This, exactly.

It seems so simple, but they make it so fucking hard on themselves. Other teams seem to be able to assemble capable bullpens without blowing $50MM, or squandering high draft picks.

It takes vision, a plan, and proper allocation of resources and priorities. And yet, here we are, hoping for a last-minute miracle to salvage the offseason.

28 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Good. Now this should get LAD to come to the table. Finalize the damn trade already and get Bellinger 

18 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Lux is far more realistic than Bellinger assuming we throw in something else besides Kimbrel or give them some money. LA really doesn't have a lot of reliever options out there in free agency. Maybe they're fine with just Treinen as their closer, but I find it hard to believe they'd spend all that money on Freeman and have a bullpen that leaks. 

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

lol i will be awe if Hahn can flip Kimbrel for Bellinger. Seems so far fetched imo. 

family-guy-brian-griffin.gif

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I would be more shocked if they pulled that off than I would be if they signed Conforto 

I could definitely see LAD happening, but not expecting much in return. Just hope that cash does get us Conforto. I’d be jaw to the floor shocked to see them hand us Bellinger. But I’d sure love that! Haha 

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I would be more shocked if they pulled that off than I would be if they signed Conforto 

I will never say a bad word again about Hahn if he gets Kimbrel for Bellinger...but that simply won't happen, even if we pay all $16 million of Kimbrel's salary, which will also never happen, either.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hard to believe Dodgers would want Kimbrel at a similar price that they could have just brought Kenley at.

This. And to think we're going to somehow get them to take him AND give up someone of the caliber of Lux or Bellinger.

I agree that they're now a good trade partner for him. But we're either eating a lot of money (not our MO) or get the money off our books and a modest/meager return.

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

It was an issue because, for one, Kimbrel solved/solves zero problems. For two, it apparently deferred sction on other roster issues, while available options went off the board.

This, exactly.

It seems so simple, but they make it so fucking hard on themselves. Other teams seem to be able to assemble capable bullpens without blowing $50MM, or squandering high draft picks.

It takes vision, a plan, and proper allocation of resources and priorities. And yet, here we are, hoping for a last-minute miracle to salvage the offseason.

You can justify Kimbrel's salary as a go for it, all in set up guy for two months, even if most were not 100% on board with converting him to high leverage (including TLR, seemingly)...but it's borderline insane for a team without a $200+ million payroll capability to do so for a full season when you're STILL not addressing three more compelling team needs.

Kimbrel for Bellinger plz. Then ship Vaughn for Marte from the snakes.

Anderson
Marte#
Robert
Moncada#
Abreu
Bellinger*
Jimenez
Grandal#
Sheets*

Collins* C
Harrison UT
Garcia# UT
Engel OF

Giolito
Lynn
Cease
Kopech
Keuchel*

Hendriks
Bummer*
Kelley
Graverman
Crochet*
Ruiz
Velasquez
Lopez

11 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

This, exactly.

I don't disagree about the trade. I wanted to keep both the players.

However, the rest is conjecture.  It hasnt happened yet.

7 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I disagree with the take that getting Bellinger isn’t possible. Sure it’s unlikely but that guy was god awful last year and is being paid a lot. I think swapping him for Kimbrel with smaller pieces also going to LA makes sense for both sides.

Friedman knows his own players a lot better than Hahn...we already  managed to flip Rodon and Kimbrel around with their options and QOs, as it should have been the exact opposite for a team only set up for serious contention through 2024. 

Rodon was worth the QO one year gamble 10x more than the risk of getting stuck with Kimbrel for the season.  No contenders care lining up to bail out the White Sox.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What was the ask from the cubs to LAD again for Kimbrel? Remember hearing it last summer. 

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors-bobby-miller-ryan-pepiot-discussed-potential-craig-kimbrel-trade-white-sox/2021/07/30/

Bobby MIller and Ryan Pepiot. 

That's 1 top 100 prospect and one barely outside of the top 100. 

Edited by chw42

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Dodgers did want Kimbrel last year even when they had Kenley. 

They may have been interested but weren't willing to pay 200 cents on the dollar for him like the Sox did

I think if you were to nitpick the Dodgers roster, bullpen is one of the few areas where they could strengthen. Roster resource has Daniel Hudson as their 8th inning guy. They could definitely find a use for Kimbrel.

But I have no idea where people are getting the Bellinger idea from, lol. Not to be rude, but arguably the most well run franchise in baseball is not trading a 26 year old who won MVP 2 years ago for 1 season of an expensive Craig Kimbrel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

They may have been interested but weren't willing to pay 200 cents on the dollar for him like the Sox did

I think if you were to nitpick the Dodgers roster, bullpen is one of the few areas where they could strengthen. Roster resource has Daniel Hudson as their 8th inning guy. They could definitely find a use for Kimbrel.

But I have no idea where people are getting the Bellinger idea from, lol. Not to be rude, but arguably the most well run franchise in baseball is not trading a 26 year old who won MVP 2 years ago for 1 season of an expensive Craig Kimbrel.

Graterol/Treinen/Hudson/lefty

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

From a salary standpoint, they work. But yeah, unless the Dodgers know Bellinger is screwed physically, I don't see how they can trade him for Kimbrel. 

• Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic