Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Coming into focus....1) no Comforto signing; 2) Kimbrel breaks camp and will be given every oppty to restore trade value, and 3) Collins breaks camp as BU catcher. To the extent there is a roster addition, guessing a trade for a pitcher involving a package of MILBs led by Burger +++

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hey James, Conforto still costs a pick to sign right?

Yes. Sox would forfeit like the 65th pick, the bonus pool amount associated and $500K in international space. They should be willing to do it though. 

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What stopping the twins from trading kiriloff, or even more likely moving him to first base? Twins have showed more drive to improve their team than the Sox. 

Seems unlikely they sign conforto now but honestly who knows.

No offense pal but you were chirping off about how the narrative had changed and sox have record payroll so everyone should stop being critical before the lockout. Cheerleading the Harrison signing. 

Sorry, im not a fan of a million dollar home furnished by the dollar store. Sox spent 47 million this off-season and are arguably worse. Amazing

This offseason hasn't been a good one for the White Sox. I agree with you. If they're in fact done, it's a very poor allocation of available resources. Also, I'm not your pal. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Okay well that's a bad opinion. My thought was that they already have Kiriloff, Larnach, Buxton and Kepler with Sanchez at DH 

Yeah, I wasn't speaking for you. I remember your thoughts on them not having space.

Also, I doubt Sanchez is DH'ing everyday, and the Twins probably would have no problem moving Kiriloff to 1st base. Larnach is far from a sure thing and wouldn't be shocked to see him moved in a deal for an arm. 

The Twins aren't exactly stacked in the OF. I doubt they sign Conforto after this, that said I don't think there are people "blocking him" given that none of the guys sans Buxton are better than Conforto. All in all, probably a pointless conversation as they chose Correa and would be shocking if they signed two. just a frustrating morning. Have a good one.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If I was a team in the market for a closer and waa considering Kimbrel, I wouldn't give up jack shit for him now, and I am not a Kimbrel hater. I would make the Sox use him as a set up guy and see which version has shown up. The longer this drags on, the lower his price tag gets. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see the Dodgers giving anything of value for a guy who ended last year struggling and is getting paid the same as their longtime closer they apparently didn't want to pay. Bellinger would be a great prize, even though he is a huge question mark. It just doesn't make sense to me from a Dodgers perspective.  Sure, overall they save a couple of bucks. But they don't care too much about that. If they would give up Bellinger, it makes me think they  think he won't hit anymore. I think their scouting is pretty good.

I agree, to me we’re approaching now or never time.  As for what they’d give up, the Dodgers were prepared to give up something of value for him last year.  Obviously he’s going to cost much less to acquire now, but I could see the Dodgers being interested in him at some small price.  Most teams are going to look at his full body of work and see a guy that was a top 6 reliever in baseball despite two bad months.  What that price remains to be seen.  If it’s Bellinger, it’s only because the Dodgers view him as 1 to 2 win player next year who provides little to no surplus value.  Obviously it’s a gamble to think you can out-scout the Dodgers, but if Conforto doesn’t happen I’d take my chances.

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What stopping the twins from trading kiriloff, or even more likely moving him to first base? Twins have showed more drive to improve their team than the Sox. 

Seems unlikely they sign conforto now but honestly who knows.

No offense pal but you were chirping off about how the narrative had changed and sox have record payroll so everyone should stop being critical before the lockout. Cheerleading the Harrison signing. 

Sorry, im not a fan of a million dollar home furnished by the dollar store. Sox spent 47 million this off-season and are arguably worse. Amazing

The twins also had a lot further to go to improve than the Six. The twins are attempting to be relevant and try to get into the playoffs. The Sox are trying to get to the second round of the playoffs. 

33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How do the twins have 5 outfielders? Thinking Brent rooker would/should block conforto is like thinking Engel should. Engel probably better, honestly.

1. Byron Buxton

2. Alex Kirilloff

3. Max Kepler

Last I checked 3 OFs start.  They also have Larnach and Rooker, the former of which is a legitimate prospect.  Rooker not so much, but we're talking about a 5th OF here.   Could they trade Larnach in a package for Montas?  Yeah sure.  They still have 4.  Michael Conforto never made a lick of sense for the Twins. 

The lockout really hurt the Sox. You can still get tickets for Opening Day at face value on ticketmaster. That usually only happens when they are hopelessly bad. 

They did no business from Thanksgiving on, and haven't done anything to excite the fanbase since the lockout ended.  Bad combo. JR doesn't take chances with his money.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Quin locked this topic