Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Ah, honestly forgot they have a DH spot now. I was thinking Muncy was their 2B. Yea I mean they could still use Lux at 2B and DH Muncy. 

I'm just trying to fit together puzzle pieces based on Robert Murray saying the Dodgers are trying to shed payroll to get a closer and if the Sox aren't going to get Conforto, then getting back an OF in a trade of Kimbrel would make sense. In the middle of the podcast he got a text hearing Pollock was scratched from today's ST game and he immediately assumed it was a Pollock for Kimbrel deal and was getting ready to break the news, that's why I asked what the opinions would be if it happened. Obviously turned out to be a false alarm.

NL DH is definitely going to take a little bit to get used to.

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Ah, honestly forgot they have a DH spot now. I was thinking Muncy was their 2B. Yea I mean they could still use Lux at 2B and DH Muncy. 

I'm just trying to fit together puzzle pieces based on Robert Murray saying the Dodgers are trying to shed payroll to get a closer and if the Sox aren't going to get Conforto, then getting back an OF in a trade of Kimbrel would make sense. In the middle of the podcast he got a text hearing Pollock was scratched from today's ST game and he immediately assumed it was a Pollock for Kimbrel deal and was getting ready to break the news, that's why I asked what the opinions would be if it happened. Obviously turned out to be a false alarm.

It was reported that he was scratched due to general back soreness. Although I agree that it looks a bit suspicious. 

I'd like to think all our efforts to address our top positional need would result in something better than this but here we are. 

The other issue is it seems to be a two step trade, i.e it's not Kimbrel for the RF. Sounds like more of Kimbrel and maybe cash for something and then you turn around and use the something plus maybe something else for the RF. 

5 hours ago, fathom said:

I get the sense this would be a 3-team trade with Kimbrel going to a team in the NL:  Dodgers, Mets, Padres or Phillies.  Mets are looking for relief help, Padres looking for offense and Phillies for a CF and bullpen help.  My prediction is Sox try to get prospects out of the deal to send to Oakland to try and get Manaea.

This is such a sexy and well-crafted trade proposal, well done. It makes so much sense it's hard NOT to be doing this. 

5 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Thats an awful result.

I could live with playing the youngsters everyday in lineup if our rotation didn’t have so many questions. Fact is, Keuchel was terrible last year. And we have no clue what Kopech will do pitching every fifth day.  Velasquez and Lopez are serviceable spot starters in a pinch, but neither should be getting multiple starts, which will inevitably happen with injuries and Kopech’s inning limit. 

22 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This is such a sexy and well-crafted trade proposal, well done. It makes so much sense it's hard NOT to be doing this. 

Up to six different teams involved?  Far easier to go to Oakland with Burger or Lopez and Adolfo.

We can’t afford to give up Sheets for a one year rental.

5 hours ago, fathom said:

I get the sense this would be a 3-team trade with Kimbrel going to a team in the NL:  Dodgers, Mets, Padres or Phillies.  Mets are looking for relief help, Padres looking for offense and Phillies for a CF and bullpen help.  My prediction is Sox try to get prospects out of the deal to send to Oakland to try and get Manaea.

What about something like this?

• CWS: LHP Manaea & C Marchan
  • PHI: CL Kimbrel & $5M cash
  • OAK: 3B Burger, RHP, Dalquist, OF Adolfo, & OF Y. Garcia

Basically allows us to address SP & BC in one trade without adding any salary.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Up to six different teams involved?  Far easier to go to Oakland with Burger or Lopez and Adolfo.

A multi-team collaboration would likely serve the Sox interest better than 1team-1team deals. Ideally, Kimbrel and a prospect or two going into a pool and pulling Manea out of that pool would be equitable. Obviously, a RF remains a priority (and remains and remains...), and would be something the Sox would be angling for as well. One thing that would be a near certainty - the Sox would likely weaken an already extra thin list of prospects.  

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I believe the suggestion was [NL team that needs Kimbrel] + Oakland = Manaea. Sure, doing nothing is "far easier", but you also *get* nothing.

We're not getting a LH RFer but at least make the effort to bolster our SP so we're not trotting out the husk of Dallas Keuchel or Reynaldo Lopez every fifth day

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Kimbrel for pollock makes SO much sense (besides it’s RH bat, not LH), it also vibes with all the rumors. Trade sheets for whatever. I think that’s our move. 

You’re betting on all these guys like Abreu, Lynn, 34 year old Pollock, Harrison, Graveman and Kelly repeating…the odds are definitely not with the Sox. That’s not even getting into recent club history with such veteran targets.

You’re also blocking Vaughn’s development, and potentially spending up to $25 million more over a two year commitment, also blocking Cespedes and Colas potentially.

No reason just to not pay the much younger, better fielding, Joc Pederson his $6 million to be a one year strong side platoon.

Then that $10 million is better allocated to starting pitching.

And Pollock just can’t stay healthy for a full season.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re betting on all these guys like Abreu, Lynn, 34 year old Pollock, Harrison, Graveman and Kelly repeating…the odds are definitely not with the Sox. That’s not even getting into recent club history with such veteran targets.

You’re also blocking Vaughn’s development, and potentially spending up to $25 million more over a two year commitment, also blocking Cespedes and Colas potentially.

No reason just to not pay the much younger, better fielding, Joc Pederson his $6 million to be a one year strong side platoon.

Then that &10 million is better allocated to starting pitching.

Not saying I agree with it, but it feel like salary wise, positional need wise, they’re going to do it…

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not the 2013-17 Royals emphasizing the bullpen?

Also, no pitching interventions have ever worked at Coors, starting with the Mark Hampton contract...as well as that pitcher who died in his StL hotel room. In the end, they believed relief pitching might be the successful approach compared to overpaying for FA starters who would see ERAs increase by 1.5ish per game.

Again, developing a great bullpen is not the same thing as what the White Sox have been doing. Greg Holland and Joakim Soria were developed internally. Wade Davis was acquired as a second piece in the James Shields trade and was a still a starter at the time — and the Royals even still tried him as a starter for a year before converting him to a reliever. The Royals were adding strength and depth to their rotation, and the strong bullpen followed. 

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then that $10 million is better allocated to starting pitching.

And Pollock just can’t stay healthy for a full season.

Yeah, I don't understand it. Buy out Kimbrel and sign Conforto who is much younger than Pollack and LH. I guess that makes too much sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Pollack is fine i guess.  I'd have rather signed Joc then traded Kimbrel for something else if that was the case.

I really thought the Sox were going to add Joc. Would have made much more sense to have a part-time RF that could also DH and play LF as Vaughn learned RF. They are playing with fire going into the season without a legitimate outfielder. We’ve seen the Engel/Leury show before.

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic