Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Feels like today is the culmination of all the stupid decisions coming to a head.  Giolito screwed and Kimbrel reminding us he still sucks makes this a crappy Sox day.  

Crochet's pitching today too. Interested to hear about how his stuff looks. 

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jose Ruiz has about as much of a track record of success as a reliever as Graveman. 

Graveman also has a likely issue we talked about yesterday in the game thread with Bummer in that he is a ground ball pitcher, so his performance is moderately affected by the quality of infield defense and defensive positioning.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thing is, even if he is good you're getting good for 50-70 innings and furthermore the value of those innings depends quite a bit on the starting rotation and offense.  It doesn't matter how good he is if he's entering a 3-5 ballgame in the 7th more often than not. It's just a stupid way to spend money, FFS.

Oh I completely agree that’s why I said if you look at the signing just by itself.  If I knew he was going to be a part of only adding relievers and utility guys then ya it changes the story on all of this which is obviously happening right now.  

• Like 1

This could open up Conforto going back to the Mets on a 1 year deal. 

I do find it kind of funny that they didn't want to change the rule just for Kyrie Irving, but now that the Yankees and Mets came knocking, they change the rule. 

Edited by chw42

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Probably the Padres as Preller loves making White Sox fans’ lives miserable.

He will need to shed one of those bad OF contracts first. Also, if they are going the one year opt out route to rebuild value, I'm not sure Boras will want his client playing in that park. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He will need to shed one of those bad OF contracts first. Also, if they are going the one year opt out route to rebuild value, I'm not sure Boras will want his client playing in that park. 

Bad OF contracts? I count Myers in one of the corners but the other spot is projected for NRI and former Sox legend Nomar Mazara. And then Grisham in CF.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can't say pnoles is a dickhead for his negativity anymore. 

I hope the ballpark is empty this summer. 

The core definitely still deserves support and the offense might be fine in RF. The defense on the other hand, I won’t speak to how bad that will be haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean - we needed relievers. Imagine how bad this pen would be without Kimbrel, Graveman and Kelly. I continue to not understand why people are so up in arms about signing the latter two. Maybe they over a tiny bit, but they needed relievers. Unless you wanted to watch Foster, Burr and Ruiz blow games all summer. 

Cause it should of been an either or.  You don’t sign two of the five largest relievers contract of the offseason after signing the largest of last offseason and picking up the option of one the highest paid relievers in the game.  I’ve been defending the need to add relievers, but spending $50M+ on our bullpen is unacceptable.  That’s more money than the Orioles & Pirates are spending on their total payrolls combined.

It’s very clear to me that if Hahn can’t get a solid offer for Kimbrel now, he’s planning on holding him until the deadline and hoping to flip him then.  And that’s an incredibly risky strategy for so many reasons that only a crazy and/or completely incompetent person would go forward with said plan.  Just mind boggling what we’re doing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cause it should of been an either or.  You don’t sign two of the five largest relievers contract of the offseason after signing the largest of last offseason and picking up the option of one the highest paid relievers in the game.  I’ve been defending the need to add relievers, but spending $50M+ on our bullpen is unacceptable.  That’s more money than the Orioles & Pirates are spending on their total payrolls combined.

It’s very clear to me that if Hahn can’t get a solid offer for Kimbrel now, he’s planning on holding him until the deadline and hoping to flip him then.  And that’s an incredibly risky strategy for so many reasons that only a crazy and/or completely incompetent person would go forward with said plan.  Just mind boggling what we’re doing.

Well if you put it that way...

I don't know if that's more of a critique of the Pirates & Orioles or Rick Hahn. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Well if you put it that way...

I don't know if that's more of a critique of the Pirates & Orioles or Rick Hahn. 

We forgot to include the Indians…who managed to play us evenly last year with the #30 payroll.

Emmanuel Clase is the #4 closer, internally developed, shockingly.

Edited by caulfield12

39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This could open up Conforto going back to the Mets on a 1 year deal. 

I do find it kind of funny that they didn't want to change the rule just for Kyrie Irving, but now that the Yankees and Mets came knocking, they change the rule. 

It’s cool because athletes can’t spread the Rona 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Top 10 out of a possible 30 teams, and 5 teams aren't even trying. 

Is Conforto worth $100 million when you think of it this way?    Who's to say Andrew Vaugh (even with the assumption of a negative glove for RF) can't hit his way to being a 2+ WAR player and make the top 15 on this RF list.

At $20 million vs $700K for 2022, I think I'm willing to roll the dice with Andrew Vaughn. 

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Top 10 out of a possible 30 teams, and 5 teams aren't even trying. 

Is Conforto worth $100 million when you think of it this way?    Who's to say Andrew Vaugh (even with the assumption of a negative glove for RF) can't hit his way to being a 2+ WAR player and make the top 15 on this RF list.

At $20 million vs $700K for 2022, I think I'm willing to roll the dice with Andrew Vaughn. 

Ok, but who is our DH then?

• Quin locked this topic