Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Probably.

And I feel like people are looking waaaaay into nothing about a Tweet lol

I week from now when Conforto signs elsewhere, same folks will be screaming in here saying "they were lied to once again." 

All because Merkin had the shits at 3AM and jumped on Twitter. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I am actually much more upset about missing out on Wheeler than I am Machado.  I can’t even imagine having him instead off Dallas right now.  And that’s part of the reason I still must believe in Conforto.  Hahn simply can’t be this dumb if he made the largest offer to Wheeler and was heavily pursuing Burnes.  Something must be cooking even if the timing seems completely off.  I’m giving Rick to opening day before I take the pitch fork out again, but will definitely be sharpening it in the meantime.

I think you’re spot on that they don’t want a short-term deal, that it would be a 3-5 year deal or nothing. And I imagine they know that they’re in a great position to make it happen. 

I really just think they already spent their money for this year. The payroll is a new record. I think they already decided they’re okay going into OD like this. The only run gthat would change that, IMO, is moving Kimbrel’s salary. 

• Like 1

When Montas and Manaea inevitably fall through, there’s always The Batman/Dark Knight.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/25/matt-harvey-getting-mlb-interest-after-tyler-skaggs-testimony/

Supposedly back to throwing in the mid 90s.  Katz can fix him!

Merkin also put this puff piece out about Vaughn being much better prepared for 2022 outfield play.  “Ready to be White Sox RFer”

https://www.mlb.com/news/andrew-vaughn-ready-to-be-white-sox-right-fielder?partnerId=zh-20220325-569999-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20220325-569999-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=R%2F0BcX59im5JPsIZNXGsFakcb%2B1JN%2FIBxHEREeBJmb%2BGzcYALC7tAjoyeVHmKE7z&bt_ts=1648215862674

Edited by caulfield12

Glad to see my guy Conforto is back in the Soxtalk possibly pile. I want the guy so bad, but honestly the crow some people here would have to eat would make it even more sweet. Even tho they’ll suddenly say there were for it the whole time! 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Glad to see my guy Conforto is back in the Soxtalk possibly pile. I want the guy so bad, but honestly the crow some people here would have to eat would make it even more sweet. Even tho they’ll suddenly say there were for it the whole time! 

And it's because Merkin re tweeted an article about him. In the article, 5 or 6 suitors were mentioned. One team was absent.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I've wanted him the whole off-season (still very much in the "let's fucking sign him" camp the whole time) too but just don't think it will happen: there's a difference between not wanting someone and not thinking it will happen. Would be pleasantly surprised.

I actually think that is where most people are (probably over 90% if I had to guess), besides the people who don't actually want him haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which makes it even more interesting

I wouldn't read into it. Merkin has been consistent in his thought that Sox handle RF with their internal options since prior to the lockout.

• Like 1

What's interesting is just how little of a market there seems to be for Conforto. The comp pick is definitely a consideration for some teams more than others. I don't think the Sox should really care IMO. There are rumors his shoulder is an issue. Who knows on that end. He is not vaxxed for COVID reportedly. Not sure who would really care about that past the Blue Jays or maybe ALE teams that play the Blue Jays. I believe Toronto is the only team that plays somewhere that has rules against the unvaxxed but could be wrong. Not sure where the Cali teams sit to that end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

When Montas and Manaea inevitably fall through, there’s always The Batman/Dark Knight.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/25/matt-harvey-getting-mlb-interest-after-tyler-skaggs-testimony/

Supposedly back to throwing in the mid 90s.  Katz can fix him!

Merkin also put this puff piece out about Vaughn being much better prepared for 2022 outfield play.  “Ready to be White Sox RFer”

https://www.mlb.com/news/andrew-vaughn-ready-to-be-white-sox-right-fielder?partnerId=zh-20220325-569999-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20220325-569999-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=R%2F0BcX59im5JPsIZNXGsFakcb%2B1JN%2FIBxHEREeBJmb%2BGzcYALC7tAjoyeVHmKE7z&bt_ts=1648215862674

I need this video, but with Matt Harvey's face over Batman's. 

Comparing what other back-end relievers got compared to Kelly, Graveman, and even throw Kimbrel in there this off-season, they definitely could have spent money more wisely haha I count about 8 deals I would prefer over those guys. And that's not even counting the lower guys you could sign to replace Burr/Ruiz.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

If he sucked with the Sox the crow eating would be reversed. If they still don't get him I don't think anyone will be shoving sweet crow down anyone's throat. (OK maybe it will happen to a degree). People differed on his worth in the FA market from the beginning or if he was even as perfect a fit as others thought .Debating it is fun. Some will be right and others wrong. Nothing to feel superior about either way. Optimism vs. pessimism. Giving the owner and front office the benefit of the doubt as opposed to not doing that is all it boils down to.

53 minutes ago, raBBit said:

What's interesting is just how little of a market there seems to be for Conforto. The comp pick is definitely a consideration for some teams more than others. I don't think the Sox should really care IMO. There are rumors his shoulder is an issue. Who knows on that end. He is not vaxxed for COVID reportedly. Not sure who would really care about that past the Blue Jays or maybe ALE teams that play the Blue Jays. I believe Toronto is the only team that plays somewhere that has rules against the unvaxxed but could be wrong. Not sure where the Cali teams sit to that end. 

There's also rumors he has long covid. Who knows what it true, but the fact that Boras spokesman Heyman has nothing indicates to me, he is going to be out there a while. Maybe they are now waiting for an injury. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There's also rumors he has long covid. Who knows what it true, but the fact that Boras spokesman Heyman has nothing indicates to me, he is going to be out there a while. Maybe they are now waiting for an injury. 

Probably. (Checks to see if Eloy is in the outfield today)

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Right ? He made a series of decisions that just trashed his value and is trying to recover his value or still thinks he's more valuable than he is. He didn't get vaxxed, then got Covid. He rejected the $100M offer from the Mets either before or close to the time he got Covid. Then had a bad 2021 and refused the QO.

Add that all up and the possibility he still isn't vaxxed, has a draft pick attached to him and you get why he is still available.

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His struggles last year and his decline in power were kinda similar to how Yoan's 2020 went. COVID definitely played a role in him starting out so poorly last year. 

• Quin locked this topic