Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

20 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Unless literally 1 injury happens, particularly to Moncada, and then he might be an every day guy. If the roster remains as is, Burger will play a ton in the majors this season. People continue to discount the value of depth.

Or we continue to value another good starter in the rotation more. Gotta give to get.

On 3/26/2022 at 11:03 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They literally haven't addressed a single issue coming into the offseason except the middle of the bullpen.

Improved Backup Catcher - NO

Improved Rightfielder - NO

Improved 2B - NO

Improved rotation - NO

Improved bullpen depth - YES

Trade Kimbrel - NO

I am unsure how anyone would call this anything other than an F.

Nick Ciuffo as the backup catcher might be the plan if Collins is used in a trade. I know Ciuffo isn't anything special but he's light years better defensively than Collins. He was always graded highly defensively when he was in the Rays system. He bats left handed and throws right. He caught part of the game today and looked good catching a few different guys Crick, Sousa ,Ruiz, and Bummer.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nick Ciuffo as the backup catcher might be the plan if Collins is used in a trade. I know Ciuffo isn't anything special but he's light years better defensively than Collins. He was always graded highly defensively when he was in the Rays system. He bats left handed and throws right. He caught part of the game today and looked good catching a few different guys Crick, Sousa ,Ruiz, and Bummer.

Are you saying he's the next "under the radar" McCann/Narvaez signing, but defensively?  Too much to hope for, with the Rays' doing the assessment.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Are you saying he's the next "under the radar" McCann/Narvaez signing, but defensively?  Too much to hope for, with the Rays' doing the assessment.

Just saying Ciuffo is supposed to good defensively. That was always a part of his scouting report. His bat never developed but he got in some MLB games with TB and Baltimore. When you are trying to hold a lead in the late innings a catcher who can frame and block pitches is just as handy as putting in a defensive OF especially with our  ground ball artists in the pen.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 7:50 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Wheeler made $4M or $5M more than Keuchel.  I think they would have found a way to fit both him and Lynn in the budget.  

EDIT:  And it seems like you’re missing the point, in a hypothetical scenario with Wheeler, Keuchel is not around.  So you can’t have both as you laid out above.

And now Wheeler's supposedly hurt/ouchy...shocking.

16 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Pujols not signing here is the best evidence against La Russa being in charge of roster decisions

I'm surprised it took the Cardinals this long to sign him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

I'm surprised it took the Cardinals this long to sign him. 

He just doesn't have much left in the tank. I'm happy for him and checking my summer travels schedule. If I'm close to STL I'll catch a game.

21 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

In Dusty we trusty.

Good point. Dusty Baker is actively being supervised by the capable trashstros FO. Hes also being ably assisted by his bench coach and pitching coach. In effect, Houston have "Dusty-proofed" their roster in a way that the SOX have not "Tony-proofed" theirs.

Actually, they've enabled TLR, through their acquisitions, and their coaches who can't seem to counter TLR's most base tendencies.

21 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Are you assuming that Jimenez, Robert and Grandal miss large portions of the season again? 

Those SPECIFIC players? 

Who knows. An equally fair question is, "Do you trust that those players will give you 140+ games played this year?"

Or, do you trust that the 34 & 35 year old SPs to stay healthy all year long? Or the aging C with achy knees to NOT be overused by the ancient alcoholic? Or the DHs in the OF to not get hurt? We'll see. 

And, as others have said, do you trust that the SOX will have as few man-days missed in 2022 as they did in 2021?

Seeing AV go down reminds me that Joe Kelly can't play RF or 2B or help vs RHP, any more than Kimbrel could have done the same thing at the TDL. But, thank God for the most expensive bullpen in MLB history, amirite? 

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They’re replacing Rodon with Kopech who is projected for 2.7 wins.

Yes, and they also (snicker) have him projected to throw 143 IP.

I'll take the under on that one; Kopech couldn't even get to 70 IP a year ago without going on the IL.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

42 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'll take the under on that one; Kopech couldn't even get to 70 IP a year ago without going on the IL.

Lance Lynn couldn't even get to 20 IP a year ago without going on the IL. 

52 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yes, and they also (snicker) have him projected to throw 143 IP.

You have absolutely loved using WAR projections over the past several weeks on this message board. But now the Kopech projection gets a snicker?  I never saw you once say that Rodon's projection was questionable because of his injury history and potential innings pitched amount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the trashtros are still better overall than the White Sox.

Probably a very unpopular opinion by me, but I think the White Sox were better than the Astros last year, and I think they are still better this year.

Yes, the Astros destroyed us in the playoffs, but I'm not going to let one series completely determine my opinion.  Going into that series, many people thought we were the better team. The one thing we were severely lacking in was playoff experience.

53 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You have absolutely loved using WAR projections over the past several weeks on this message board. But now the Kopech projection gets a snicker?  I never saw you once say that Rodon's projection was questionable because of his injury history and potential innings pitched amount.

Yes, I'll snicker at the FGDC projection that has him down for 143 IP, because he hasn't once made it to even half that IP at this level. Also, this FO did exactly "Jack" and "Shit" to stretch him out to be a starter for this season.

By contrast, Carlos Rodon HAS actually pitched > 130 IP on more than one occasion at this level. And yes, I've given him plenty of grief in the past for being a two-legged hippo as well.

But, once again, Rodon has proven things at this level that Kopech simply hasn't as yet. And Kopech has been given a disservice by this org in they way they've used him and the way they've prepared him.

47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Probably a very unpopular opinion by me, but I think the White Sox were better than the Astros last year, and I think they are still better this year.

Yes, the Astros destroyed us in the playoffs, but I'm not going to let one series completely determine my opinion.  Going into that series, many people thought we were the better team. The one thing we were severely lacking in was playoff experience.

Thats a fair opinion, but one with which I'll disagree.

My view is/was that the trashtros were more talented, better coached/managed, had fewer downside risks to their roster, and had more playoff experience than the 2021 White Sox. 

Taken together, I had thought that 2022 would have presented a better opportunity for the SOX vs Houston, if the FO took the correct approach. Alas, we have the most expensive bullpen in MLB history, and Josh Harrison at 2B.

We'll have to see how it all works out.

I hate being in this weird limbo of being fairly certain that the Sox are going to win the AL Central and also be fairly certain that they're going to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs. It feels like the Sox are the 2011 Bulls or something. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Quin locked this topic