Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The elephant in the room is that manaea is owed 10 million this year and by all accounts the sox aren't taking on 10 million in salary without moving kimbrel.

"The money will be spent", people throw this line around all the time mocking Management, but I honestly believe the sox game plan is to wait until the trade deadline to make their decision on who to add based on need at the time.  We have enough as the roster stands to stay in the division race until then and hopefully Kimbrel will have pitched decently enough to be used as a trade piece.  Call me delusional but I think Reynaldo Lopez is going to give us what Rodon provided last year.  He was way better than Giolito when he came over and when he's on, his fastball is commanding.  IN 2018 he pitched 188 innings, 3.91 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 151 K's without his recent corrective eye surgery.  Let's hope that's the missing piece in his development because he has the arm to throw in the high nineties.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m 100% out on Conforto to the Sox after Stone’s comment and the Haseley trade.

I think SP is probably the priority right now for Hahn with backup catcher a secondary consideration.

I'm with you. Maybe they add Manaea at best and call it a wrap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

"The money will be spent", people throw this line around all the time mocking Management, but I honestly believe the sox game plan is to wait until the trade deadline to make their decision on who to add based on need at the time.  We have enough as the roster stands to stay in the division race until then and hopefully Kimbrel will have pitched decently enough to be used as a trade piece.  Call me delusional but I think Reynaldo Lopez is going to give us what Rodon provided last year.  He was way better than Giolito when he came over and when he's on, his fastball is commanding.  IN 2018 he pitched 188 innings, 3.91 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 151 K's without his recent corrective eye surgery.  Let's hope that's the missing piece in his development because he has the arm to throw in the high nineties.

Those 2018 ReyLo numbers were massively misleading.  If you looked at the peripherals he was clearly due for huge regression, which we all saw.  I thought he was a great story last year and hope he can continue to add to the team in a positive way, but expecting him to replace Rodon is too much.

Edited by Spumoni

Just now, Spumoni said:

Those 2018 Reylo numbers were massively misleading.  If you looked at the peripherals he was clearly due for huge regression, which we all saw.  I thought he was a great story last year and hope he can continue to add to the team in a positive way, but expecting him to replace Rodon is too much.

And who expected Rodon to perform like he did the first half,  let's hear from the people who thought the Sox were crazy for not offering a QO.

All I know is Lopez throws gas and no one figured out his eye problem until this year so I'm hoping for a rebound.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

They need more and it's really obvious.

I like Sheets but he’s kind of redundant in terms of where he can play defensively. He probably should be a DH and the Sox already have a number of guys who fit into that same category. If you can use him to get Manaea, I think you have to do it. Another solid pitcher is more important to this team than a lefty bat IMO.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I like Sheets but he’s kind of redundant in terms of where he can play defensively. He probably should be a DH and the Sox already have a number of guys who fit into that same category. If you can use him to get Manaea, I think you have to do it. Another solid pitcher is more important to this team than a lefty bat IMO.

I agree they should do it IF they also add a real RF.

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Sheets quite literally IS the DH as things stand.  He'll DH 90%+ of the time against RHP.  Only days he wouldn't are days Grandal needs to DH and a righty happens to be on the mound.  Maybe they stick him in RF those days and give AV a breather.  Trading Sheets right now without an immediate plan to acquire a left handed hitting RF and rotate Eloy/AV between LF and DH is simply something they cannot do right now.  

Again, moving Sheets for Manaea is great and dandy if you're prepared to signed Conforto.  But that will also require dumping Kimbrel.  Seems like a lot of moving parts to save for the last 8 days of ST.....

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

I saw him touch 99 last year.  94-95 is a healthier place for him if he can command his curve and change-up

Yeah I was wrong I thought he was more in that range but he averaged 95.8 mph with the fastball last year. I guess that is where he is as a starter vs a reliever. 

Forgot where I saw/heard this the other day, but we’ve only had 1 season with at least 2 WAR out of RF in the past 16 years. You figure it would be an easier position to fill but apparently not.

Edit: guess I’m not a fan for acknowledging how pathetic that is lol

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd trade sheets in a heartbeat. Then again, others seem to be much higher on sheets than me

Love Sheets.

Would also trade him for Manaea in a heartbeat, because Giolito, Lynn, Cease, Manaea, Kopech/Keuchel is a sweet rotation.

• Quin locked this topic