We should just get Conforto

Tnetennba

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

This is a loser's mentality. You don't go into a season where your team is competitive with a giant hole in RF because some prospects (who haven't shown a damn thing yet) "might" be ready a year or 2 from now. 

This…….is a very good post 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I believe the Sox were FOS a lot. Especially for Machado. The approach was basically to offer Machado what they think he should like better than what Machado wanted. It was a weird offer. Poison pilled their pursuit. Seemed  a lot of it was like a public relations stunt. Have it our way! Would have been funny if Machado actually accepted the offer. This is what circumspect means.

the Sox are not volume players in mega dollar deals, I don’t know why you suggest they are..

Except it would have meant it never got out there for public consumption in that case...as the conspiracy theory was to appear to be trying their best to sign him for the fanbase/PR without really wanting that to actually happen.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, ron883 said:

This is a loser's mentality. You don't go into a season where your team is competitive with a giant hole in RF because some prospects (who haven't shown a damn thing yet) "might" be ready a year or 2 from now. 

Except we don’t have a giant hole in RF. We have an outstanding young talent with the very real possibility (I would use the term, likely) to produce a line of .280 to .290 with 30 home runs. A player who has shown he can be adequate, especially considering the bat he will supply, as a defensive outfielder. It’s Vaughn’s. 

I’ve said before and repeating. I believe the Sox can absolutely believe Sox can win World Series with a RF of Vaughn, Sheets, Engel. 

What they need to get is another good starting pitcher.

18 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Except we don’t have a giant hole in RF. We have an outstanding young talent with the very real possibility (I would use the term, likely) to produce a line of .280 to .290 with 30 home runs. A player who has shown he can be adequate, especially considering the bat he will supply, as a defensive outfielder. It’s Vaughn’s. 

I’ve said before and repeating. I believe the Sox can absolutely believe Sox can win World Series with a RF of Vaughn, Sheets, Engel. 

What they need to get is another good starting pitcher.

Even with Vaughn being slightly below average in RF, that's a horrendous outfield D.  Vaughn needs everyday at bats but either at LF or DH (if the FO continues to be pussys about not forcing Eloy there).  We need a RF.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Even with Vaughn being slightly below average in RF, that's a horrendous outfield D.  Vaughn needs everyday at bats but either at LF or DH (if the FO continues to be pussys about not forcing Eloy there).  We need a RF.

I would add that Eloy will most likely not get perfect attendance next year, so hoping Vaughn performs in RF and a sub in LF could be a major concern. 

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

Bold prediction time- Conforto is signed tonight. 

Kimbrel, Sheets, and Burger are all traded in the next 10 days. Sox add pitching and a catcher, and we see a roster on opening day that can compete for a championship.

I think Burger could be traded.  Why do we want Sheets gone?  I really do feel a platoon of him and Vaughn is effective.  And Sheets is going to develop into a solid left handed bat.  With pop.

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I think Burger could be traded.  Why do we want Sheets gone?  I really do feel a platoon of him and Vaughn is effective.  And Sheets is going to develop into a solid left handed bat.  With pop.

The old, “gotta give to get”. I like Sheets too and think he may be very good for the next 5-6 years, but the Sox window is limited and they have to do everything they can to make multiple ALCS appearances to have the shot to go all the way. 

6 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Its not really a platoon when one is in RF and one is DHing.  That's the problem.  For all this talk about a Vaughn/Sheets platoon, the current roster doesn't allow for it.  Have to sign a RF for that to happen.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flavum said:

Bold prediction time- Conforto is signed tonight. 

Kimbrel, Sheets, and Burger are all traded in the next 10 days. Sox add pitching and a catcher, and we see a roster on opening day that can compete for a championship.

I like this guy.

12 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

What % of PAs does the left handed hitter generally get in a platoon?  Because that is the amount of time Vaughn will be sitting on the bench in that scenario. 

12 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Less about wanting him gone and recognizing a time to sell high.  Sign Conforto, trade Kimbrel away, & trade Sheets + Burger for a starting pitcher.  Vaughn needs every day ABs and he and Eloy can split time between LF & DH, with AV filling in occasionally at 1B.  There are too many DH types on the roster.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its not really a platoon when one is in RF and one is DHing.  That's the problem.  For all this talk about a Vaughn/Sheets platoon, the current roster doesn't allow for it.  Have to sign a RF for that to happen.  

I don't get that either. Vaughn has already been badly impeded with his developmental curve, and he me may just that much of a natural hitter than he can adjust to MLB pitching while skipping almost all of MiLB and being forced to play out of position. He needs to be swinging a bat every day whether it's here or in Charlotte. Moreover Vaughn can probably fake it for a year in the OF but Sheets probably can't, and if neither one is traded, you'd really hope that both become legitimate power hitters that can give you surplus value as various guys retire/regress/leave via FA over the next 2-3 seasons. 

Boras’s deal for Correa surprised me not only by destination, but also the contract length and buy-out. I wonder if they would be creative signing something atypical for Conforto. Maybe do a similar 3-year contract with opt-outs with the Sox. Obviously, if he plays lights out Sox win in 2022, and Conforto opts out. 

There really isn’t a more perfect team and opportunity for him to start, and possibly make the playoffs/World Series. 

Kimbrel’s contract feels like the snag to even doing a one-year deal with Conforto right now. Need to move him in a trade and get what you can in terms of cash (compared to his $16 million).  

I think this “going to sign Conforto thing” is a wishful thinking fantasy, like Sox we’re gonna sign Harper or Machado. Not going to happen. Of course I could be wrong, but if we worked in the same office I’d bet you it wouldn’t happen and give you 10 to 1 odds.

Every sign says it’s not gonna happen:

Boras is his agent

All talk of finding Vaughn at bats.

No way Vaughn is going to Charlotte, no way. Anyone who suggests this, loses credibility as a poster in my opinion.

Sheets is staying, so far . . . seems to be the feeling, he needs and will get at bats

Eloy is the starting LFer, it isn’t even being discussed, so Vaughn not playing there.

Abreu wants (Probably “insists upon” is more true) to play everyday and doesn’t like to DH, so not a lot of Vaughn time there.

Just my opinion, but I see Grandal DHing a lot as season progresses.

Sox want to use money and resources to get another pitcher and sign Giolito long term. 

Biggest bottom line is the cost; I don’t see it happening.

As I type this the now, it seems even more than 10 to 1 against signing Conforto.

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I think this “going to sign Conforto thing” is a wishful thinking fantasy, like Sox we’re gonna sign Harper or Machado. Not going to happen. Of course I could be wrong, but if we worked in the same office I’d bet you it wouldn’t happen and give you 10 to 1 odds.

Every sign says it’s not gonna happen:

Boras is his agent

All talk of finding Vaughn at bats.

No way Vaughn is going to Charlotte, no way. Anyone who suggests this, loses credibility as a poster in my opinion.

Sheets is staying, so far . . . seems to be the feeling, he needs and will get at bats

Eloy is the starting LFer, it isn’t even being discussed, so Vaughn not playing there.

Abreu wants (Probably “insists upon” is more true) to play everyday and doesn’t like to DH, so not a lot of Vaughn time there.

Just my opinion, but I see Grandal DHing a lot as season progresses.

Sox want to use money and resources to get another pitcher and sign Giolito long term. 

Biggest bottom line is the cost; I don’t see it happening.

As I type this the now, it seems even more than 10 to 1 against signing Conforto.

Hahn is the one who talked about Vaughn in Charlotte first. They can gain an extra year if he does go down. That's why you see it being brought up. I don't think it will happen but it could.

While I agree about Conforto, I'll just wait and see. But for the record I think I said back in November or December the Sox wouldn't sign him.

Vaughn will play LF. Maybe Eloy plays LF 3/4 of the time and Vaughn only 1/4 . It's all contingent on how the whole Kimbrel fiasco plays out and if it somehow brings us back any other legit defensive RF who doesn't suck offensively.

If you don't think Vaughn is going to get many 1B or LF AB's then that leaves RF and DH to get him AB's . What if he's a bigger disaster in RF than we expect,or the Sox do end up with a LH RF not named Conforto and Sheets is hitting and Vaughn isn't hitting RH's well so not getting as many AB's as he needs. That's why people talk about sending him down along with gaining the extra year of control.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:59 PM, Leonard Zelig said:

What % of PAs does the left handed hitter generally get in a platoon?  Because that is the amount of time Vaughn will be sitting on the bench in that scenario. 

Why would we trade Burger and keep Sheets? Burger is under control until 2028. Use him as a 1B/3B/DH. We really have no bench guys who can hit other than 1B/DH types. Keep Eloy at LH. Vaughn becomes the DH and helps give Abreau a rest at 1b. There should be at least 400 PA for the role and possible more in case of an injury. Hell if he plays well enough you can figure it out possibly by having him play 3B and moving Moncada back to 2B.

Burger profile as a OBP guy with decent power who has positional versatility looks to be a be a heck of a lot more likely for sustainable success than Sheets. Furthermore Burger value right now isn't anywhere near where it will be if he plays well even in an UT role next year. So it makes much more sense to keep him over Sheets. I'd probably keep both guys with sheets profile are a dime a dozen in this league. He strikes out a ton doesn't walk much and has tower power and only plays 1B/DH.

Edited by wrathofhahn

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Why would we trade Burger and keep Sheets? Burger is under control until 2028. Use him as a 1B/3B/DH. We really have no bench guys who can hit other than 1B/DH types. Keep Eloy at LH. Vaughn becomes the DH and helps give Abreau a rest at 1b. There should be at least 400 PA for the role and possible more in case of an injury. Hell if he plays well enough you can figure it out possibly by having him play 3B and moving Moncada back to 2B.

Burger profile as a OBP guy with decent power who has positional versatility looks to be a be a heck of a lot more likely for sustainable success than Sheets. Furthermore Burger value right now isn't anywhere near where it will be if he plays well even in an UT role next year. So it makes much more sense to keep him over Sheets. I'd probably keep both guys with sheets profile are a dime a dozen in this league. He strikes out a ton doesn't walk much and has tower power and only plays 1B/DH.

I never suggested trading Burger or keeping Sheets.  Sheets bats LH though, which the lineup needs.  You want Moncada to change positions to get Burger in the lineup?   Who plays RF in your scenario?

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Is this an actual offer?  I will 100% take 10 to 1 odds on Conforto signing with Sox.  $20 to you if he signs elsewhere, $200 to me if he signs with Sox. 

Dudes got like 2-3 realistic options and we have it on pretty good word that sox previously offered something in the range of 4/$75M.  While I get that most of you have moved on from Conforto or just prefer to think he's not an option so your heart is broken, but he still remains an amazing fit, and unsigned.  

I am less confident they'd sign him now than I was 2 weeks ago - no doubt about that - but I'd happily wager 10/1 odds on it. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is this an actual offer?  I will 100% take 10 to 1 odds on Conforto signing with Sox.  $20 to you if he signs elsewhere, $200 to me if he signs with Sox. 

Dudes got like 2-3 realistic options and we have it on pretty good word that sox previously offered something in the range of 4/$75M.  While I get that most of you have moved on from Conforto or just prefer to think he's not an option so your heart is broken, but he still remains an amazing fit, and unsigned.  

I am less confident they'd sign him now than I was 2 weeks ago - no doubt about that - but I'd happily wager 10/1 odds on it. 

One thing that we all forget about at times when talking about these players are...where do THEY want to sign?

Maybe he wants to stay with the Mets or in New York and those teams have to make some moves before they can sign him.

That's not to say he will eventually sign with the Sox or another team, but there's usually more to it.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

This is all opinion based on nothing but their "profiles" ? At least Gavin got in some super productive PA's last year where he didn't strike out a ton (22.4%) and  supposedly doesn't walk much (8.9%) Also .556 Slg % against RH's .

So a RH guy like Burger on a mostly RHH team who is the same age as Sheets, with an extensive injury background fits in better because we have him longer so we can figure out if the Sox can send Moncada back to 2nd base . Positional versatility is not being able to play just 3rd base. 1st base and DH don't count because any big guy should be able to play 1st and DH.

A dime a dozen really ? I'll keep that in mind since a LH power bat with a decent K rate and walk rate is so easy to find. Maybe you can scan some MLB rosters and find a few for me who did what Gavin did in his MLB rookie season. I know he's got skeptics but he did every thing he could short of getting a bunch of AB's to prove he should get plenty of AB's on a team starved for LH balance and power. Vaughn is the RH bat who needs the playing time not Burger to move Moncada to 2nd base.

What's your next suggestion, Kimbrel replacing Hendriks as closer and Liam being the setup guy ?

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

We don’t work in the same office, so don’t see a bet here. Did you mean to say $100 dollars?  I would never go that high; I’m a poor teacher. But if you were at my school and we hung out in teachers’ lunch/ lounge, I’d be glad to make a handshake bet for $10 or $20 at 10 to 1 odds. Really, I’d feel I was taking your money.

Surprised you’re so confident. I mean Sox made offers to Harper, Machado, and Wheeler, but they were never gonna happen.

Believe me,  I could be wrong. I would never have guessed that the Sox would make a bold move like trading for Kimbrel. No matter how that trade turned out, it was bold and shows Sox are capable of making a move to win in this window. Also, Sox grabbed Grandal while we still had McCann, so they can make moves. So signing Conforto is possible, I just think the odds of it happening, by all the signs I mentioned, seem really small