Gas. High Gas (prices).

Middle Buffalo

13 hours ago, The Beast said:

National outrage is coming in November. Even if people were pissed to the point where they protested or got violent, there isn’t much that can be done about the gas prices. One man cannot fix it.

Name anything that the US produces cheaper than other countries? I've had a choice of import versus domestic beer and the domestic was cheaper but I've never had a choice of import or domestic gas. 

12 hours ago, Texsox said:

Name anything that the US produces cheaper than other countries? I've had a choice of import versus domestic beer and the domestic was cheaper but I've never had a choice of import or domestic gas. 

Right, but would the Keystone XL pipeline have solved the gas prices (that is the only argument I have heard to support that it’s one man’s fault)? I could understand expanding offshore drilling or trying something with fracking, but my point is that one man can’t control a war in Ukraine, get companies to increase production or get other countries to increase theirs (although it looks kind of like they will try).

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

@The Beast I agree. Gas seems to be the one thing that folks believe the president can control the price of. I've never heard anyone say that about the price of gold, olive oil, etc. I'm in Texas, I see all the pump jacks and off shore rigs but I've never seen a gas station selling cheaper US gas over imports. I've seen oil and gas companies in boom or bust cycles. Now that the cost of oil is high US production takes off. At $80 a barrel it's better left in the ground. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

Right, but would the Keystone XL pipeline have solved the gas prices (that is the only argument I have heard to support that it’s one man’s fault)? I could understand expanding offshore drilling or trying something with fracking, but my point is that one man can’t control a war in Ukraine, get companies to increase production or get other countries to increase theirs (although it looks kind of like they will try).

It wouldn't have. That was primarily for companies to ship heavy oil overseas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

This is actually a pretty good video that explains why gas prices are what they are and why the guy sitting in the oval office has very little control over them despite what many seem to believe.

That is a great video. I would probably do my fact checking, but a lot of what he said made a ton of sense.

I'm going to ask (what I think) a stupid question but it's one I can't figure out. 

I def. lean to the left with my politics, but at least try and understand some of the "crutches" the other side leans on when it comes to abortion, lack of gun control, etc. I disagree with them, but there are always a few talking points that boil down to philosophical differences that make it somewhat hard to argue.

What I simply don't understand is how a normal, everyday citizen can be "anti-electric vehicle" or just "anti-electric" in general. I fully understand why politicians want to protect the oil companies, Trump uses the same stupid line about windmills killing birds which gets a mild laugh from his cronies, but it's not a secret how much we depend on foreign oil and wars are fought over that oil. For a crowd that considers themselves "America First," I just don't understand what even the bullshit argument is for not supporting a hard push for more electric vehicles on the road and not relying so much on foreign oil. 

Can someone give me an actual reason what the argument is to keep as many gas guzzlers on the road and just keep dumping fuel into our cars? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I'm going to ask (what I think) a stupid question but it's one I can't figure out. 

I def. lean to the left with my politics, but at least try and understand some of the "crutches" the other side leans on when it comes to abortion, lack of gun control, etc. I disagree with them, but there are always a few talking points that boil down to philosophical differences that make it somewhat hard to argue.

What I simply don't understand is how a normal, everyday citizen can be "anti-electric vehicle" or just "anti-electric" in general. I fully understand why politicians want to protect the oil companies, Trump uses the same stupid line about windmills killing birds which gets a mild laugh from his cronies, but it's not a secret how much we depend on foreign oil and wars are fought over that oil. For a crowd that considers themselves "America First," I just don't understand what even the bullshit argument is for not supporting a hard push for more electric vehicles on the road and not relying so much on foreign oil. 

Can someone give me an actual reason what the argument is to keep as many gas guzzlers on the road and just keep dumping fuel into our cars? 

It has to be the upfront cost of a charger and a vehicle and how they believe it would be too costly of a transition from their gas powered car to an electric car. Some people probably think electric cars can’t replicate what the larger cars can offer.

12 hours ago, Tony said:

The biggest complaint I've heard is the range and the lack of charging stations. So if you want to take a long trip somewhere, there is always the worry that you'll get stuck somewhere with no place to charge the batteries.

Other than that, I've heard worry over the cost of replacing the batteries when the time comes.

I'm also part of an RVing forum and there's a lot of discussion over the actual towing capacities of the electric trucks.

7 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

The biggest complaint I've heard is the range and the lack of charging stations. So if you want to take a long trip somewhere, there is always the worry that you'll get stuck somewhere with no place to charge the batteries.

Other than that, I've heard worry over the cost of replacing the batteries when the time comes.

I'm also part of an RVing forum and there's a lot of discussion over the actual towing capacities of the electric trucks.

Range anxiety is definitely real, but if you plan stuff out, it's not really an issue. I did a round trip from Austin to Chicago this past winter in a Tesla and it was fine. I actually enjoyed not having to drive for 7 or 8 hours straight and getting 20-30 minute charging breaks every 2-3 hours. I never ran low enough on charge that I was scared I wasn't going to make it to the next charging station. I'm not sure how wide spread charging stations are for non-Teslas, but the Tesla supercharging network is pretty accommodating and there's usually one every 150 miles along most major highways. 

8 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

We are all so much better off w the current administration, love the high grocery prices not to mention gas prices and just about everything else

Imagine thinking they control the gas prices lmao

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

32 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

We are all so much better off w the current administration, love the high grocery prices not to mention gas prices and just about everything else

But can one man or one administration truly control all of that? Did one piece of spending legislation cause all of that?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

He's so powerful he's raised them in every country. Worldwide! 

One call to Exxon, BP, Shell and we're at $2 a gallon. Why he allows those companies to earn such high profits is crazy. 

17 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm not a vehicle guy, I could care less, but not much less, about electric versus legacy vehicles. So from an impartial observer . . .

I tow a trailer to remote areas without electricity. Currently the technology wouldn't work. I'll be traveling about 5,000 miles this summer and getting about 10 mph from my 3.5 Ecoboost. I will be off grid for weeks with no means to charge. Plus at about a 125 mile range when towing it would take me forever to get somewhere. 

Just like adding corn based products into fuel unintentionally caused problems for the poorest folks on the planet by raising the price of corn, electricity rates will increase as demand increases. This will place a strain on the poor who need electricity for basic needs.

We also still need to work out paying for roads. Fuel taxes aren't being paid to fund the roads the electric cars drive on. Do we road tax electricity? Add an electronic vehicle tax on registrations? 

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He's so powerful he's raised them in every country. Worldwide! 

One call to Exxon, BP, Shell and we're at $2 a gallon. Why he allows those companies to earn such high profits is crazy. 

Yea, I just read that gas in France (I think?) is like $7/gallon right now. But they don't have those little "I did that" stickers all over their pumps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Yea, I just read that gas in France (I think?) is like $7/gallon right now. But they don't have those little "I did that" stickers all over their pumps.

And those people putting on those stickers vote. 

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm not a vehicle guy, I could care less, but not much less, about electric versus legacy vehicles. So from an impartial observer . . .

I tow a trailer to remote areas without electricity. Currently the technology wouldn't work. I'll be traveling about 5,000 miles this summer and getting about 10 mph from my 3.5 Ecoboost. I will be off grid for weeks with no means to charge. Plus at about a 125 mile range when towing it would take me forever to get somewhere. 

Just like adding corn based products into fuel unintentionally caused problems for the poorest folks on the planet by raising the price of corn, electricity rates will increase as demand increases. This will place a strain on the poor who need electricity for basic needs.

We also still need to work out paying for roads. Fuel taxes aren't being paid to fund the roads the electric cars drive on. Do we road tax electricity? Add an electronic vehicle tax on registrations? 

All of that seems to make sense and I believe there should be a huge amount of funds dedicated to electric infrastructure to allow charging stations at apartment complexes, more rural areas, etc. 

I guess it just comes down to moving towards a much more aggressive strategy around electric vehicles seems to benefit Americans much more than continuing to rely on foreign oil, and you would sort of think hard R's would favor that...but they don't seem to. They want cheap gas, but they want gas. And I guess I don't totally understand the appeal or loyalty to gasoline, unless you worked in the oil industry or had direct ties to it.  

For example, Biden included $174 billion in his BBB plan that including more charging stations and tax incentives for EV buyers. The GOP counteroffer had 4 billion earmarked for EV's. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

All of that seems to make sense and I believe there should be a huge amount of funds dedicated to electric infrastructure to allow charging stations at apartment complexes, more rural areas, etc. 

I guess it just comes down to moving towards a much more aggressive strategy around electric vehicles seems to benefit Americans much more than continuing to rely on foreign oil, and you would sort of think hard R's would favor that...but they don't seem to. They want cheap gas, but they want gas. And I guess I don't totally understand the appeal or loyalty to gasoline, unless you worked in the oil industry or had direct ties to it.  

I haven't seen the R's against. I thought Musk is a conservative darling. He's bringing jobs here which is an interesting mix. Our economy does well when y'all are paying big bucks for gas. 

The issue is that even though we are creating electric cars now, the electricity provided is still largely driven by fossil fuels.  We are only redirecting the usage.  So we remain dependent on the fossil fuels for the electricity to run the cars now.  

On 6/7/2022 at 9:12 PM, Texsox said:

@The Beast I agree. Gas seems to be the one thing that folks believe the president can control the price of. I've never heard anyone say that about the price of gold, olive oil, etc. I'm in Texas, I see all the pump jacks and off shore rigs but I've never seen a gas station selling cheaper US gas over imports. I've seen oil and gas companies in boom or bust cycles. Now that the cost of oil is high US production takes off. At $80 a barrel it's better left in the ground. 

The bottom line is this guy is the president at a time gas prices are highest in history. He said the buck would stop with him. All I hear are excuses. People aren't dumb and are going to vote so many leftists out of office it'll make your head spin. This is the USA and people aren't dumb. Whether they want the gas hikes to force everybody to get electric cars sooner than planned or the leaders simply don't care we're hurting at the pump ... or that we believe it's Putin's fault lol, one thing is certain: this president is in office now and doesn't seem to give a bleep about the little guy/gal and lots of them elected him. Their revenge is coming in November.

p.s. if the guy acted like he cared an iota about how we are hurting at the pump and in line at the automatic check out in the grocery store I might be able to support the guy. All he does is huff and puff and yell about Trump and rightists. Again ... people aren't dumb and Joe's gonna find that out in November, Tex. Do u agree??

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

The bottom line is this guy is the president at a time gas prices are highest in history. He said the buck would stop with him. All I hear are excuses. People aren't dumb and are going to vote so many leftists out of office it'll make your head spin. This is the USA and people aren't dumb. Whether they want the gas hikes to force everybody to get electric cars sooner than planned or the leaders simply don't care we're hurting at the pump ... or that we believe it's Putin's fault lol, one thing is certain: this president is in office now and doesn't seem to give a bleep about the little guy/gal and lots of them elected him. Their revenge is coming in November.

😂

• Like 1