Arb cases happening today

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Going to arb with Gio over 200K when they *should* be hoping he'll sign an extension in the ~150M range is a strange one. I know it's part of the business, but not finding a compromise when the gap is that small seems unnecessary.

Penny wise, pound foolish.   Luckily Lucas is not such a hot-head as Jack McDowell back in the day, but hard not to imagine him ending up on the West Coast at some point.

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Penny wise, pound foolish.   Luckily Lucas is not such a hot-head as Jack McDowell back in the day, but hard not to imagine him ending up on the West Coast at some point.

I've thought that too, but if they were willing to pay up for Wheeler, you'd think they would be willing to for a home grown guy like Lucas.

18 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Going to arb with Gio over 200K when they *should* be hoping he'll sign an extension in the ~150M range is a strange one. I know it's part of the business, but not finding a compromise when the gap is that small seems unnecessary.

That is something the Pirates would do. Mickey Mouse org. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I've thought that too, but if they were willing to pay up for Wheeler, you'd think they would be willing to for a home grown guy like Lucas.

If last year was the Lucas throwing 94-97, touching 98 that we saw more consistently in 2019/20, then I think they would be giving it more serious thought.

Maybe they are, but the fact of the matter is that they're going to be a lot more conservative with Giolito, Cease and Kopech with their TJ histories.   The only recent extension for a nearly home-grown player is John Danks, and that was seemingly ages ago.  Since then, everything has been limited to three years, and you know Giolito and his agent/family will be looking at 4-5 year deals (at a minimum) if he continues his success in the 2022/23 seasons.

I guess there was a report out this spring already that he'd bulked/beefed up and was already throwing quite hard...although I remember we saw that in a previous spring and then he was 91-94 for the seemingly the first half of the following season.  Not sure if that was last year or my memory is now failing me.

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is something the Pirates would do. Mickey Mouse org. 

Friendly reminder that the arb numbers the submit are almost always closer to what the other party was asking for than what they we’re trying settle for. 

edit: it appears I was wrong on this one

Edited by mqr