Arb cases happening today

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

There's a reason a fan asked Hard Karl for example why he didn't stay with the White Sox and his answer was "ask your owner why". Reinsdorf is a penny pinching douche.

When did this happen?

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

A seat at the table...where have I heard that before? 

At the rate we are going, they might have more luck in the real estate market (see Ricketts/Wrigleyville and JR’s roots) than in the MLB Free Agency Game.  Because they really couldn’t do much worse if they deliberately tried…or just put a list of all the available players on the wall next to KW’s Big Board and Jeremy Haber simply threw darts while blind-folded  and signed whatever players they hit on in order until they ran out of their allocated budget.

24 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox spent money - just on players that would provide marginal help.  But they spent.  This is de minimis.   Doesn't sound like a JR issue, unless there is some animus due to his being player rep.

They spent because they still expect to make a profit . I pretty sure I heard that because of the strike season ticket sales were down and there's been no push in spending to excite the fan base into buying more season tickets. If attendance, ad revenue and other sources of income suffer because of this it's going to show up at the trade deadline and the same thing that happened this off season will happen again next off season.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

There's a reason a fan asked Hard Karl for example why he didn't stay with the White Sox and his answer was "ask your owner why". Reinsdorf is a penny pinching douche.

I liked Rodon. I wouldn’t have been mad if they signed him to exactly what he got in SF. The healthy version of him proved he can be TOR, but this might have been a case of throwing good money after bad. He didn’t exactly earn every penny they paid him prior to last year, and even last year they had to shut him down. He doesn’t have a ton of room to complain.

No excuse for doing this to Giolito, though. Just pay him some of the money that “will be spent.” There has to be a cookie jar full of it in JR’s office.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Easy for Rick to say.

If that relationship is already bad, then yeah, screwing him over won't make it any worse.  Plus, it's what this says about how you treat your players to every other player out there, particularly free agents, but also guys on your current roster and in your system, i.e., $50k, and winning the arbitration dispute is more important than rewarding good performance and winning actual baseball games.  Kind of like providing crappy, flat champagne for a victory celebration.      

2 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I liked Rodon. I wouldn’t have been mad if they signed him to exactly what he got in SF. The healthy version of him proved he can be TOR, but this might have been a case of throwing good money after bad. He didn’t exactly earn every penny they paid him prior to last year, and even last year they had to shut him down. He doesn’t have a ton of room to complain.

No excuse for doing this to Giolito, though. Just pay him some of the money that “will be spent.” There has to be a cookie jar full of it in JR’s office.

He made something like $15-18 million with the White Sox.

On the free agent market, just last season's fWAR from Rodon would blow that out of the water.  Of course, we all feel he underachieved, but they also didn't have the right coaches to get the most out of his talent, either.