2022 MLB catch all thread

Balta1701

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can't believe Pujols would retire so close to 700 HR. If he can't get there this year, wouldn't you consider coming back one more time to reach it? There's 27 games left in the season for the Cardinals and he needs 5 HR. 

He’ll get it. Cardinals are in a good position. 3-seed isn’t changing. The final six games of the season are against the Pirates. I think they’ll find a way for him to see some good pitches to hit. 

33 minutes ago, flavum said:

He’ll get it. Cardinals are in a good position. 3-seed isn’t changing. The final six games of the season are against the Pirates. I think they’ll find a way for him to see some good pitches to hit. 

His streak seems too good to be true. He was absolutely awful in the first half. Then he wins a round in the HR derby against Schwarber who seemed to be mailing it in for his round. Then we got the story about how Kirk was signaling pitchers to throw Pujols fastballs right down the middle during the ASG. Pujols is also homering against lots of teams who have no chance of making the postseason. It sure seems like everyone involved wants him to break the record.

Discovering how great the Dodgers really are.  Their scouting and coaching are superior to the Sox.  When you have the lead they do you can leave a starter in putting out a Keuchal performance.   A 6 run lead is not always safe against them.  As long as JR is running (ruining) the Sox I may jump ship.  How things are gonna go after this season may finalize my divorce from the Sox.

Edited by kitekrazy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34551389/major-league-baseball-competition-committee-vote-rules-changes-friday-eye-quickening-pace-play-sources-say

The rule changes are expected to pass and include the following:

• A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on

• Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance

• A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance

• Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)

• Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown

• Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18

The Tigers offense has been so unbelievably bad this season - not a single starter with OPS >.700.  Their players aren't that bad - It wouldn't surprise me if the odds turn in their favor the last couple of weeks of the season.  We'll have to be on our toes.

On another matter, not a one of the big 5 FA infielders from last offseason has played up to their contract. 
Machado and Harper were such bargains; of course they were younger as well.

Edited by GreenSox

15 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Judge hit 58 and 59 today. 2 away from the AL record (and the major league non-asterisked record)

He's only hitting almost .500 in September. I hope he gets the triple crown and MVP, he's basically carried the Yankees the last 2 months while they've had nobody else in the lineup hitting. Ohtani's amazing, but he's also been playing meaningless baseball for the past 3 months. 

Ohtani has a higher wRC+ than Jose Ramirez, Juan Soto, & Julio Rodriguez etc

Ohtani has a lower ERA than Shane Bieber, Corbin Burnes, Carlos Rodon etc

You can make an argument for Judge or Ohtani. I think Judge will win going away for a variety of reasons, but both are clearly deserving and really it's a shame that they aren't in separate leagues because I think they'd both win unanimously over whoever ends up getting MVP in the NL.

Judge is about to break Maris homerun record (which to many including myself still is the clean record). He's also knocking on the door of a triple crown. In my opinion it's his MVP by a hair at this point (which speaks to how incredible Ohtani is that it takes a historic season to potentially knock him out of winning it again).