2022 MLB catch all thread

Balta1701

It's strange there's such a fixation on the AL HR record when that's "only" tied for the 7th most all-time. I think there's an element of the Yankees having to be the main character of baseball at all times in the way Judge's season has been covered.

But still massive credit to him. The ball being dejuiced probably cost him a shot to hit 70+.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's strange there's such a fixation on the AL HR record when that's "only" tied for the 7th most all-time. I think there's an element of the Yankees having to be the main character of baseball at all times in the way Judge's season has been covered.

But still massive credit to him. The ball being dejuiced probably cost him a shot to hit 70+.

Yeah, well when nobody in the history of baseball had hit more than 61 and suddenly three guys who got much bigger in the middle of their careers combine for six seasons of hitting 63-72, people might be treating that 61 like it's the real record.

13 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yeah, well when nobody in the history of baseball had hit more than 61 and suddenly three guys who got much bigger in the middle of their careers combine for six seasons of hitting 63-72, people might be treating that 61 like it's the real record.

People can act like that's the case, but it doesn't make them right.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Put any qualifier you want on it, but that doesn't change what actually happened. 61 is still temporarily the AL record, for whatever that's worth, but the record for HR's in a season is 73.

MLB may not be able or willing to say what the record is for home runs by an actual human being rather than a chemistry experiment, but that doesn't mean I am somehow unable to know what it is.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

What was the NL record prior to 199whatever year McGwire/Sosa/Bonds broke it. 

The NL record was Hack Wilson with 56 in 1930. Then McGwire hit 58 in 1997, then 70 in 1998, and finally Bonds hit 73 in 2001. Sammy Sosa, Ryan Howard and Luis Gonzalez also surpassed Wilson's 56 during that same time frame.

Judge facing Jon Gray in a couple hours. Maybe he’ll get 62 quietly on a Tuesday afternoon. 

Hopefully all the seeds are settled by the end of today, too. I want Wednesday to be 15 absolutely meaningless games. 

I also hope all four home teams win this coming Friday and Saturday…ok maybe if the Mariners go to Toronto, I’ll take them beating the Jays. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:28 PM, maxjusttyped said:

And if he can hit 2 more tonight, he can tie Sammy Sosa for 6th!

43 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm not directly calling anyone on here out, just in general, I hear 100x more about the steroid era being illegitimate than baseball that occurred prior to 1947.

Josh Gibson: .374/.458/1.178 with a 162 game average of 45 home runs
Babe Ruth: .342/.474/1.164 with a 162 game average of 46 home runs

A rookie Josh Gibson going into a home run chase with Babe Ruth in his twilight years would have been nuts, but alas, racism.

• Like 1