2022 AL Central catch all thread

Balta1701

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

2nd consecutive day where the Twins bullpen makes it shaky in the 9th but manages to hang on for a 1 run win. Frustrating, as it seems like the Twins are getting every break possible right now.

We'd be 1 game back if the A's had any semblance of an offense. The schedule makers really liked the Twins this year. They're going through a huge slump right now, but are still winning because they're playing the worst team in the AL during their worst stretch. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

We'd be 1 game back if the A's had any semblance of an offense. The schedule makers really liked the Twins this year. They're going through a huge slump right now, but are still winning because they're playing the worst team in the AL during their worst stretch. 

That's why I said the White Sox just need to stay 5-6 back because of all those A's games and then home and away with KC and Detroit for the majority of May.

Got lots of laughs at the time predicting Minny would possibly still hold the lead heading into June, but the Twins were something like 0/17 with RISP going back multiple games and are still pulling them out of their asses somehow.

They also continue to get better pitching than expected.

Edited by caulfield12

Arraez and Bundy out for Covid.

Baldelli out for Covid.

Buxton hip, Correa finger, Sano out indefinitely.

Paddack might be the UCL injury that someone was projecting but that's way too premature to diagnose.

All these things starting to even out now.  Except the schedule.

1-1 pick SS Royce Lewis forced to make his debut.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Pagan's strand rate is going to be like 97% after today. His command makes Aaron Bummer look like prime Greg Maddux right now. But he is getting the job done nevertheless.

I thought Pache was gonna muscle that one to the OF, but not enough. 

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It looked like a hit off the bat to me, too. All of those breaks are going the Twins way right now.

Pache's hit had a .690 xBA. I think had Polanco not shifted towards the middle, it's probably a hit. 

I will say that Twins 9th innings when Pagan pitches is must watch baseball, it just sucks cause he keeps getting bailed out. 

Edited by chw42

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Pache's hit had a .690 xBA. I think had Polanco not shifted towards the middle, it's probably a hit. 

I will say that Twins 9th innings when Pagan pitches is must watch baseball, it just sucks cause he keeps getting bailed out. 

Well, they did have to deal with Colome on their roster last year...so I guess it all evens out.

At any rate, Pagan isn't going to keep getting the job done with his tightrope act against good teams, though.

(Of course White Sox sweeping Boston and missing Wacha at the last second, winning VV and Keuchel starts isn't that high on a probability scale, either.)

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, they did have to deal with Colome on their roster last year...so I guess it all evens out.

Pagan isn't going to keep getting the job done with his tightrope act against good teams, though.

Pagan is pretty much just like Colome, except he's getting very fortunate he's been able to pitch out of jams. Pagan gets into trouble almost every game he pitches. Colome would at least have good outings about 60% of the time. 

Edited by chw42

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think Duran will end up being one of the best relievers in baseball and Griffin Jax looks like a nice win for their pitching development, but maybe he'll fizzle out. My concern is their pen will eventually settle in as pretty good when right now they're getting bailed out by luck.

Buxton has a mild hip strain, Larnach's also on the injured list and Paddack has elbow inflammation which is usually the kiss of death.

Meanwhile, Twins have now won 9 consecutive home games.

Btw, Cleveland has only had 8 home games so far this season.

Detroit with 13, White Sox with 13, Minnesota with 14 and KC with 15.   Will balance out in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Also, it's almost inexplicable to me how Detroit (considering the even worse weather) and Arizona are outdrawing the Sox 16% of the way RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR CHAMPIONSHIP WINDOW.  This was not how Brooks Boyer and Hahn drew things up in 2016/17.

Edited by caulfield12

30 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Buxton has a mild hip strain, Larnach's also on the injured list and Paddack has elbow inflammation which is usually the kiss of death.

Meanwhile, Twins have now won 9 consecutive home games.

Btw, Cleveland has only had 8 home games so far this season.

Detroit with 13, White Sox with 13, Minnesota with 14 and KC with 15.   Will balance out in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Also, it's almost inexplicable to me how Detroit (considering the even worse weather) and Arizona are outdrawing the Sox 16% of the way RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR CHAMPIONSHIP WINDOW.  This was not how Brooks Boyer and Hahn drew things up in 2016/17.

Tigers had the Cabrera 3,000 chase, as well as adding one of the most popular players in baseball.  Since you don’t live in Chicago, you really can’t understand how awful the weather has been.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Tigers had the Cabrera 3,000 chase, as well as adding one of the most popular players in baseball.  Since you don’t live in Chicago, you really can’t understand how awful the weather has been.

These early season games, except for OD and the Hendriks bobbleheads...they're 60-75% season ticket holders, so that this tells me is that Chicago and Detroit have almost exactly the same number of season ticket holders, it's simply that their revenues are going to be 25-30% higher because of the prices the Sox charge for everything have gone through the roof...whereas the Tigers are more reasonable to get fans back in the ballpark.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

These early season games, except for OD and the Hendriks bobbleheads...they're 60-75% season ticket holders, so that this tells me is that Chicago and Detroit have almost exactly the same number of season ticket holders, it's simply that their revenues are going to be 25-30% higher because of the prices the Sox charge for everything have gone through the roof...whereas the Tigers are more reasonable to get fans back in the ballpark.

It tells me exactly what we have heard all winter.  There isn't much excitement for Sox fans around this team, and it is translating to slow attendance at the ballpark. All thought I am sure the "fairweather" part might be a small part of it.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It tells me exactly what we have heard all winter.  There isn't much excitement for Sox fans around this team, and it is translating to slow attendance at the ballpark. All thought I am sure the "fairweather" part might be a small part of it.

If my time and financial budget allows me to go to X games in a season, they're all going to be between mid-May and mid-September, regardless of how much excitement there is around the team. I went to a game against the Royals because it was my best friend's birthday and he hadn't been to a game in two years, but I'm never doing an April game again.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

There just wasn't that one headline addition to increase excitement...Conforto turned out to be a false flag operation/distraction.

Then Rodon, fixation with utility guys and the never ending Kimbrel situation, which still hasn't improved the ball club to this date in time.  Finally, can add over reliance on Sheets repeating.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There just wasn't that one headline addition to increase excitement...Conforto turned out to be a false flag operation/distraction.

Then Rodon, fixation with utility guys and the never ending Kimbrel situation, which still hasn't improved the ball club to this date in time.  Finally, can add over reliance on Sheets repeating.

Apparently it would have been better to be a bad team with a good offseason, than a good team with a bad one.

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently it would have been better to be a bad team with a good offseason, than a good team with a bad one.

For Tigers' fans after the last 3-4 years of barren nothingness, hope and change sells well.  Hard to blame them for wanting to get excited about something, albeit temporarily.

"Twins: The pitching -- all of it
Where on earth did this come from? A year after posting the second-worst staff ERA in the AL, the Twins’ success in 2022 has been fueled almost entirely by the success of the pitching staff, which entered Monday seventh in the Majors in starters’ ERA (3.17) and sixth in bullpen ERA (3.03). The rotation has gotten a huge lift from the success of rookies Joe Ryan and Josh Winder, while the bullpen has seen even less heralded arms thrive in all manner of roles. The Twins have now won seven straight one-run games on the strength of that pitching -- and have you seen rookie Jhoan Duran pump 102 mph on the radar gun?" -- Do-Hyoung Park

mlb.com