Cubs 2022 thread

Balta1701

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

I love how I saw some Cubs fans tweet today “what good does making contact every at bat do if it results in an easy ground ball”.

Cubs have 45 K+BB in 3 games. Sox have only 20.

Putting balls in play is working for the Sox so far though. 14 XBH through 3 games. Only Astros have more with 16, but they've played 4 games.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I love how I saw some Cubs fans tweet today “what good does making contact every at bat do if it results in an easy ground ball”.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

They're slowly learning

the player you two are referring to has a career wRC+ of 111. That'll be top 10 most years at 2B. Not trying to derail or thread or anything, but I really don't understand your guys' disdain for him

2 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

The cubs announcers are so fucking cringe... Seiya hit a HR and they said Sei-ya later... like wtf

Good thing he didn't sign with the Yankees. Michael Kay would be like, "There it goes, Sei-ya!".

• Haha 2

Let's see how he does after the league makes some adjustments.

That said, he's not being overpowered, and that's what happens to the majority of Asian position players their rookie campaign in the big leagues, for 4-5 notable exceptions.

And not even Ohtani looked great his first season or two on offense.

Btw, that Boog Sciambi dude has been practicing that same Sei-ya line since his first spring training homer...

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm starting to get very jealous of Suzuki. His combination of plate discipline and power looks elite. It'd be nice if the Sox were serious players for higher caliber players (or anyone, really) in Asia.

I would have loved for them to sign Suzuki, but in my rare defense of the Sox......everyone in the league is envious of the pipeline the Sox have created in Cuba. They can't have it all...(I'm not saying they couldn't have signed Suzuki, but it's not like they aren't players in the International Market)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Let's see how he does after the league makes some adjustments.

That said, he's not being overpowered, and that's what happens to the majority of Asian position players their rookie campaign in the big leagues, for 4-5 notable exceptions.

And not even Ohtani looked great his first season or two on offense.

All of this is true. He will have to adjust to the adjustments made to him. But early returns look good for him.

That said, his defense alone makes him worth the $8MM he's being paid this year. I'd bet that were he here instead of on the north side, this team would be 4-0. I'll also bet that he'll end up with more fWAR than Pollock this season, based on health alone.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Robertson has been lights out so far and looks like a really nice value signing for the Cubs pen.

I watched some of the Olympics and he very much looked like the peak Robertson from the past.

Rays must be wondering who they pissed off to get sent to Chicago for 6 days in April.

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Suzuki on an unreal tear.

Madrigal looking like the 300 average 700ish ops version of himself.

Wish we would have considered Villar at least...

Yes, to all of these, and I said so during the offseason.

Meanwhile, for your White Sox equivalents:

Pollock injured. Again.

Harrison starting his negative fWAR tear.

Leury with a NEGATIVE wRC+.

That said, its early, though what I wanted the SOX to do/what the scrubs actually did this offseason appears to have been the right way to go so far.