RANKING THE SOX

gogosox1959

Recap of how the world sees the team.  I would guess much higher than what seems to be soxtalk consensus:

odds to win world series: 4th shortest at 11:1 or 12:1 (borgata, draftkings, usatoday)

power rankings in MLB: 2*, 2*,  4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 7 (mlb.com is 2 as is bleacher report but they are both 2-3 weeks old; others are whatever current misc websites I could find-- current consensus is 4th

projected wins: #4 in AL; #7 in MLB (fangraphs)

bullpen: #2 in MLB (mlb.com)

rotation: #4 in MLB (mlb.com)

lineup: #3 in MLB (mlb.com)

I'd go with 3rd in AL behind Tampa and Toronto and #5 in MLB also behind LAD, SF

Ironically the Sox spend a small fortune on the bullpen and somehow dropped from #1 to #2 in the MLB annual bullpen rankings. 

I will say it's very difficult to rank the Sox with confidence as the range of possibilities for some of the the higher end talents is insanely wide. If you get some elite production from our elite talent the Sox can really pile on the wins.

Would they be willing to let Kopech throw 180+ innings if he's just mowing through hitters? Can you get 6+ WAR seasons out of Robert and Moncada? How productive will Abreu be? 2-3 WAR?

If you get 12 WAR out of Moncada/Robert the Sox floor likely becomes a top 3 lineup. With a productive Kopech it puts the Sox at potentially 4 pitchers with 4~ WAR aspirations. That's near the top if not the top rotation in baseball. Are we likely to actually have 4 WAR pitchers, probably not. But the fact we have 4 guys with legitimate all star level potential I feel pretty good about the Sox filling out rotation innings. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know most here don't believe it, but this is a top 5 team on paper.  Taking this winter off didn't change that.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t know which “most on here” you’re referring to. 

I believe by definition a top 5 team would win a playoff series. I'm with SS, most here (greater than 50% but less than 100%) do not think this team is capable of advancing in the playoffs without bolstering RF, 2nd, and SP. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I believe by definition a top 5 team would win a playoff series. I'm with SS, most here (greater than 50% but less than 100%) do not think this team is capable of advancing in the playoffs without bolstering RF, 2nd, and SP. 

Only one way to find out. Poll time using your definition. I'm not going to do it. Hey Mikey !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know most here don't believe it, but this is a top 5 team on paper.  Taking this winter off didn't change that.

It was also a top 5  'on paper' last year but didn't make it that far, I would be happy with a team that performs better than it is predicted 'on paper' even is that team doesn't win it all.

The White Sox are absolutely a top 6 team on paper and the best team in the AL central on paper.

The White Sox also could have used this offseason to make themselves a top 2 team on paper, and did not do so by their own choices.

The idea that no one is allowed to be annoyed or complain about the second point because the first is true is a stretch.

The idea that any complaints about the second point means that people think they are a bottom ten team is the type of straw man people reach for when they have run out of realistic ways to defend the set of decisions the team made.

• Like 2