Weeknight start times to be 6:10 pm !… what genius came up with this one??

Scubadentist

Does anyone with a full time job agree with this change in start times?. How is anyone with a 9-5 supposed to get to the ballpark by game time? How is tailgating supposed to be even possible?… or dinner at Panchos, Connie’s or Franco’s before the game? This is going to hurt the local businesses, enrich the pockets of JR by forcing eating and drinking in the ballpark instead of tailgating/ eating local, and in general hurt the hell out of the normal working fan going to weeknight games… what a lousy idea this is….do TLR and JR need the games to start at senior friendly times????

Edited by Scubadentist
Forgot to clarify eating and drinking within the ballpark
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scubadentist said:

Does anyone with a full time job agree with this change in start times?. How is anyone with a 9-5 supposed to get to the ballpark by game time? How is tailgating supposed to be even possible?… or dinner at Panchos, Connie’s or Franco’s before the game? This is going to hurt the local businesses, enrich the pockets of JR by forcing eating and drinking instead of tailgating, and in general hurt the hell out of the normal working fan going to weeknight games… what a lousy idea this is….do TLR and JR need the games to start at senior friendly times????

I would assume the Marketing Dept ran some fan surveys because you certainly bring up some very valid points against it. 

3 minutes ago, Scubadentist said:

Does anyone with a full time job agree with this change in start times?. How is anyone with a 9-5 supposed to get to the ballpark by game time? How is tailgating supposed to be even possible?… or dinner at Panchos, Connie’s or Franco’s before the game? This is going to hurt the local businesses, enrich the pockets of JR by forcing eating and drinking in the ballpark instead of tailgating/ eating local, and in general hurt the hell out of the normal working fan going to weeknight games… what a lousy idea this is….do TLR and JR need the games to start at senior friendly times????

And there you have the main reason.

7 minutes ago, Scubadentist said:

As someone who already doesn't like going to weekday games, I like it. And if I were to go, I would arrange to leave work early.

This actually makes it more likely for me to go.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

The earlier start time is going to be worse for some, but I think it will be better for others.

A lot more people have flexible work schedules. People can schedule around getting to the ballpark.

Lots of Sox fans in the Eastern time zone, and those 7:10 Chicago starts are 8:10 eastern which may diminish TV audiences.

I always thought 6:40 would have been a good time to start games. Compromise between the early people and late people.

• Like 1

Appears this is just for April. I'd go as far as to extend it to May as well. It's a smart move in so many ways. 

a) school - kids are in school. if you want to increase the chance of kids/families at the park this type of move helps. 

b) weather- the earlier you start, the more sunlight you get, and the more warmer innings you get

c) kids - kind of under the first point, but if games are 3 hours+ this is perfect. now you can watch a game all the way through. build your fan base. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Did I miss something? Isn't the 6 o'clock games only for April because of the cold? Or are you saying they're changing the times for the rest of the year?

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think its only for April.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

You didn't, this isn't new.

If it's only for April, I have absolutely no problem with this.

1 minute ago, he gone. said:

Appears this is just for April. I'd go as far as to extend it to May as well. It's a smart move in so many ways. 

a) school - kids are in school. if you want to increase the chance of kids/families at the park this type of move helps. 

b) weather- the earlier you start, the more sunlight you get, and the more warmer innings you get

c) kids - kind of under the first point, but if games are 3 hours+ this is perfect. now you can watch a game all the way through. build your fan base. 

I agree.  If it's only for the first month or two it's not a bad idea at all for the reasons you state.

I'd be in favor of doing this in May and September as well. Most people don't want to keep kids out until 11 pm or so on school nights. This may make it easier for kids to go to games. You don't see too many people tailgating during April weeknight games. You can always spend the last hour of work drinking to make up for it.