Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Rusty_Kuntz said:

If the Sox get Manaea that means they could have Reylo, Velazquez and Keuchel (or Kopech) all in long relief to start the season. That is probably as good or better than most teams. 

Modified 6 man taking it very easy on Kopech

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rusty_Kuntz said:

If the Sox get Manaea that means they could have Reylo, Velazquez and Keuchel (or Kopech) all in long relief to start the season. That is probably as good or better than most teams. 

Reylo was probably one of the best long relievers in baseball last year. His relief numbers were insane last year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, fathom said:

Modified 6 man taking it very easy on Kopech

Without Manaea, Kopech was probably only gonna throw 3-4 innings with Velasquez bridging the other 3 innings anyhow. Kinda like what they did last night against Cincy. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Reylo was probably one of the best long relievers in baseball last year. His relief numbers were insane last year. 

And he's definitely going to get additional opportunities, but he also was 1-6 with a 7.62 ERA at Charlotte before he was called up. I have no idea what changed when he came up, but I also don't know for certain which guy he is, because that's like 2 different guys.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We're definitely dangling Sheets in that trade now. 

I dont feel good about that for 1 year of a pitcher but yes I agree he is likely gone since they don't want to risk Vaughn in the field anymore. Just sucks we are losing a promising LH bat who will prolly rake with OAK but whatever, I see the numbers crunch at DH and they are just trying to short term bandaid SP and RF until they get to the offseason and can clear a couple big salaries off the books with DK and maybe JA (based on the latter's recent comments).

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll add, I'd rather have Pollock for this year than Conforto. 

Pre-injury, I think Conforto was a better bet to actually play 150 games. The shoulder injury really puts a wrench into how many games he'll actually be able to play this year. 

Pollock is definitely better in terms of value per plate appearance. He just has trouble giving you more than 400 PAs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is very likely $1 million in savings.

Pollock receives $5 million as a buy-out if he declines his player option. The White Sox have either taken on 1/$15 or 2/$20 if I'm reading this right.

For sure.  I guess I am just thinking that 5 million isn't due until the end of the year, so maybe they wouldn't include it, or all of it?

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Give the laughs all you want @ChiSox59. You left a paper trail.

I just said it’s a meh trade for me. I don’t love it at all I think Pollock is just an OK fit. But I didn’t spend all offseason making 25 posts a day saying Kimbrel was not tradable without eating major $. You were wrong yet again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 5

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I just said it’s a meh trade for me. I don’t love it at all I think Pollock is just an OK fit. But I didn’t spend all offseason making 25 posts a day saying Kimbrel was not tradable without eating major $. You were wrong yet again. 

Would you rather pay $15 million for 1 year of AJ Pollock or $6 million for Joc Pederson?

If, and it's a big if, Pollock can stay healthy for the majority of the season it's a great deal. The big question now is what do you do with AV and GS. If AV is on the roster he has to get steady at bats. And I love GS as a much needed left handed bat but you now have a huge logjam of outfielders. Something has to give. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next week.

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Can't believe so many people were ripping Hahn for picking up the Kimbrel option and not trading him. There wasn't much doubt that he would be moved. I've been saying it all offseason.

I've been saying it as well. A lot have been.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

24 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So...

Anderson
Robert
Abreu
Jimenez
Grandal
Moncada
Pollock
Sheets/Vaughn
Harrison/Leury

Or something like that.  Lineup looks better, and the OF looks much better.

This lineup only has one hole; I can swallow that.

I think Vaughn sees quite a bit of time in the outfield - Pollock isn't a 162 guy, and Eloy will need rest. They have enough playing time to go around given the rest they'll have to give a guy like Pollock. I think Engel and Vaughn share some outfield time, Vaughn gets some DH and 1B time (I think Abreu takes some time this year). Have 648 games to go around 4 poisitions:

Vaughn - 120 (Hoping for more but we'll see)
Abreu - 145
Pollock - 120
Sheets - 80
Eloy - 130
Engel - 60 (has some CF starts)
Yas - 25 games at DH

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Would you rather pay $15 million for 1 year of AJ Pollock or $6 million for Joc Pederson?

I hate Joc Pederson so I’d prefer Pollock for a $1M savings. Turns out Sox picking up that option wasnt so bad. I’d still have preferred they acquired a RF that rakes against RHP, but Pollock historically has been decent against RHP and plays a solid OF. Like I said, it’s a meh move for me but this team is better than they were an hour ago. And Kimbrel was used to plug a big time hole on this roster, so that’s a positive. 

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Pre-injury, I think Conforto was a better bet to actually play 150 games. The shoulder injury really puts a wrench into how many games he'll actually be able to play this year. 

Pollock is definitely better in terms of value per plate appearance. He just has trouble giving you more than 400 PAs. 

I still think Conforto is a better bet to play more games, but I also think the Sox are in a unique situation where they may not want a guy who is going to play 150 games in RF. I know for sure Pollock will get hurt and will sit with some nagging injuries at some point; he's been hurt pretty much every year of his career but for one, but he's just a really nice all-around player when he's out there and he's way better than anything I thought we'd get for KImbrel.