Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

I'd like to see this trade:

Keuchel + 10 Mil. , Burger, Adolfo, Collins, Cespedes, ad Romy Gonzalez for

Manea, Montas, and Murphy.

I'd like to see it too. I think everyone in the Sox front office would like to see it. I think all Sox fans would like to see it. It would be the greatest one sided trade in Sox history. Even JR would like to see it. TLR would need a DD to help him celebrate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So when it comes to the position players side, here's our 13 we should plan on rolling out there with (14 in April)

1. Grandal

2. Abreu

3. Harrison

4. Anderson

5. Moncada

6. Jimenez

7. Robert

8. Pollock

----

9. Backup catcher

10. Garcia

11. Engel

Two spots for Vaughn, Sheets, Gonzalez and Micker and Mendick I guess.

Obviously a chance that Vaughn starts on the IL. 

Would imagine it's AV, Sheets and Gonzalez (or Mendick) in April. Then you've got a decision to make on May 1 (and maybe how they're hitting in April makes it for you.)

23 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

First time in a long while that a white sox trade has been universally praised by our fan base.

We got rid of a universally disappointing player for a useful piece when we all thought we’d get stuck with him… easy to like.

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Given the precarious nature of Robert, Jimenez and Pollock's health, I don't think Engel should be moved. He will definitely be needed here. 

Twins' announcers (that are a lot more knowledgeable than Tom Hamilton in CLE) want Pollock in LF, Jimenez at DH and Leury/Engel/Vaughn in RF...predicting that Jimenez will get hurt again or injure Robert, who they compared to the Bad News Bear CFer making all the plays by cutting in front of the worthless corner guys...tifwiw.

Twins also likely to go with 16 pitchers until May 2nd.

Edited by caulfield12

I am skeptical about Pollock's durability as an everyday outfielder  in his age 34 season.

My guess is that Cody Bellinger will prove to have been a better choice over time.

I also don't like the price tag for a guy who looks like a one year stop gap in RF.

Additionally, if Pollock remains healthy, he will be taking a lot of at-bats away from Vaughn.

I understand  though that if Pollock  remains healthy and hits like a b1tch, the trade works.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tray said:

I am skeptical about Pollock's durability as an everyday outfielder  in his age 34 season.

My guess is that Cody Bellinger will prove to have been a better choice over time.

I also don't like the price tag for a guy who looks like a one year stop gap in RF.

Additionally, if Pollock remains healthy, he will be taking a lot of at-bats away from Vaughn.

I understand  though that if Pollock  remains healthy and hits like a b1tch, the trade works.

I'm guessing the Sox are pencilling in significant time for Engel and Sheets out there already. Those guys don't look so bad when they're depth/rest options. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

In RF?  Well, we will just have to wait and see how Pollock does with his six career games there and about a week to adjust.  Sort of like Andrew Vaughn last year.  Of course, playing a new position and having a history of hamstring problems...

For those who actually care…

What Pollock hasn't done much is play right field. He's started just one game there during his big-league career. He's had consistently poor metrics in terms of his arm. In fact, among outfielders, only Christian Yelich and Charlie Blackmon score lower than his minus-13.3 runs added over the past five seasons, via the arm rating at Fangraphs, which uses that measure as a component of the UZR defensive rating system. Pollock endured lengthy IL stays in 2016 and 2019 for significant issues with his throwing elbow.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/33646494/trade-grades-which-world-series-hopeful-upgraded-most-craig-kimbrel-aj-pollock-swap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

1.  Impossible to know at this point what Bellinger is. When hes healthy you at least know what Pollock brings you.

2. Vaughn will see plenty of at bats, plus abreu will get a good amount of rest. wouldnt worry about this

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, obviously he was never going to compete with Betts, who possesses one of the best throwing arms in the game.

Or Bellinger, in CF.

Or Pederson.

Or Kike Rodriguez.   Or even Chris Taylor.

So it's going to be a matter of simply meeting the lowest of expectations with the Sox, which is Leury/Sheets/AV or broken down versions of Eaton and Mazara.

We're relying on more and more veterans than any time since the unforgettable "lost decade" of the 2010's...

Graveman 31, Hendriks 33, Kelly 33/34, Lynn 34/35, Velasquez 29/30, Grandal 33/34, Abreu 35, Harrison 34/35, Engel 30/31, Leury 31, Pollock 34

That's 11 guys now.

We still have the young core guys, but even TA7 will be 30 in another year...and has a lot of wear and tear on his body due to his style of play.

We have this PEAK year of 2022, one more year in 2023 and everything else beyond is "uncertain" or opaque at best.

Minus one more starting pitcher, it's as close as we are going to get to "all in," which is basically the time of the trade deadline last year through the end of this season.

As everyone is well aware by now, the number of players making significant contributions over the age of 35 is diminishing by the year...especially on the position player side of things.

But I guess it's all somehow quite appropriate as we reach the twilight of JR's ownership years...a fitting ending, with a manager over 80 years old as well.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So the Sox went from trying to fill the hole in RF with Infielders and DH's to filling it with a LFer.  At least he's an outfielder.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm guessing the Sox are pencilling in significant time for Engel and Sheets out there already. Those guys don't look so bad when they're depth/rest options. 

Do they have room for both Vaughn and Engel. Someone might be moved or sent down when rosters are cut back to 26. 

Edited by pcq

Not that this is an issue to be upset about, but I wonder who the odd man out is if everyone is healthy against a LHP?  You have Abreu, Eloy, Pollock, Vaughn and Engel for four spots.  It should be Engel, IMO but I don’t think the Sox would agree.

My preference for the lineup vs. RHP:

SS Anderson

CF Robert

C  Grandal

1B Abreu

3B  Moncada

LF  Eloy

DH Sheets. His LH bat has to be in this lineup, to provide much needed better balance. Let's hope that last year wasn't a fluke. 

RF  Pollock

2B  Harrison

BENCH: Leury, who should be relegated to the infield. Engel is the #1 reserve outfielder, used primarily as a defensive replacement. Ciuffu is the backup catcher. I'd add Adolfo, if they can find him enough at bats. It would be a shame to lose him, if he's not on the roster. Micker might spell Pollock, with a few starts in RF, in an effort to protect the oft-injured veteran's health. Haseley starts the year at Charlotte, but is the first outfielder called up, if needed. 

When the Sox have a decent lead, after the 5TH inning, Pollock moves over to LF to take Eloy's spot, and Engel comes into the game, to play RF.

Vaughn starts the year at AAA, unless he's traded for a really impactful starting pitcher, with at least 2 years of control. He is the only young player, with enough potential and years of control, to entice a rebuilding team to part with a good rotation piece.  I love Andrew's potential, but this team is built to win now and the rotation, while excellent, has little depth. If they can get a #2 quality starter, the Sox might have the best chance for a World Series title, this year and next. After 2023, this team will be too expensive to keep together, at least with current ownership. 

If Moncada does not provide better run production and power, from the left side, he gets pushed further down in the order. That is no insult to him and in this stacked lineup, batting in the lower 3RD still provides reasonable protection, as well as opportunities to produce.  

Edited by Lillian

So the Sox converted the #4 pick overall in the draft four years ago into a half season of Madrigal, a disastrous half season by Kimbrel, and now one, maybe two seasons of an oft-injured 34 year-old decent-at-best outfielder.  

We lost all of those games in 2017 to get the #4 pick, only for it to turn into this return.  That’s not good.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1