Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

18 was retired for Goodwin so try something else. 

I'm surprised nobody has signed Goodwin to even a minor league deal. He was good enough last year to at least be OF depth. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

2. Joc Pederson ? What impresses you at all about Pederson ? 

Defensively from 2016-2021  Pederson is a -18 in OAA playing all OF positions, mostly CF and LF. The most games he has ever played in a season in RF is 39 . Pollock from 2016-2021 is a  0 OAA playing mostly CF and LF . The most games he ever played in a season in RF is 4. I don't see anything that suggests Joc is a better fielder . Just the opposite in fact. In fairness Pollock has rarely played RF but since he's played  way more games in CF than anything else the fact his OAA is still 0  is a good sign he can play RF adequately.

To take this even further Pederson's sprint speed in 2021 was 26.9 ft./second while Pollock's was 27.8  despite the 5 years difference in age.

3.. You often say you don't see the Sox window extending beyond 2023 when Giolito  becomes a free agent so if the Cubs signed Suzuki for 5/$85M the Sox would've had to beat that. So what purpose does Suzuki serve being here so long ,so expensively? The length of time Pollock will be here should give Colas and Cespedes amble time to show their abilities and possibly replace Pollock at a way cheaper rate than Suzuki .

Your previous post asked only about defensive parameters, and so I'd addressed it that way.

On the defensive metrics, OAA definitely has it's virtues, but one flaw it has for OF defense is that it doesn't account for the effect of the player's throwing abilities. With respect to RF defense in particular, this is more cogent to an OFers ability in right than in left.

With respect to the arms of Pollock and Pederson, their ARM stats are both negative, but Pederson is -1.6 for a career, while Pollock is -12.5 for a career. This isn't indicative of their throwing abilities in full, to be sure. But it does suggest at why Pederson has been played in RF more than Pollock heretofore. 

And to be fair, I do enjoy that OAA makes a reasonable attempt to measure range and catch probability. 

Offensively, once again I'll admit I'm ageist against older players, and especially against older NL players coming over. With Joc, he is LH, and has had some success vs RHP, though he hasn't had his better seasons of late. But, at 29, I don't think he's washed up yet. For Pollock, we've seen older NL types fail here. Also, Pollock’s BABIP for 2021 suggests that he's due for some luck-related regression, in addition to any age-related regression.

On the RFer that I'd preferred, at an AAV of $17MM/per, all hed have to be to be "worth his contract" (assuming a cost of $8.5Mm/WAR) is to be a ~1.8 fWAR player. IOW, worse than the hated Leury Garcia was in 2021. At that salary, if that player is closer to his projections, he could be re-marketed to restart the next rebuild. 

Also, I don't consider Colas or Cespedes to be a barrier, in any case. If the player I wanted for RF were here and Colas/Cespedes become MLB players, then at that point Eloy could have moved off LF by then. It never hurts to have more than one good OFer at a time.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On 4/2/2022 at 9:49 AM, Chick Mercedes said:

Madrigal would have been having decent seasons and helping win playoffs series for 10+ years.. There is no way to fix this mess, just try to mitigate damage. 

Madrigal was always going to be a slap hitting "little person" .

The mistake wasn't trading him it was drafting him in the first place and holding onto him doesn't fix anything. He had marginal value it is what it is. Glad to have Pollock

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 3:43 PM, ChiSox59 said:

He’s useful if he’s not over exposed. I think the fear from last year is TLR will find a way to get Leury in the lineup most days, often at the expense of better players. 

Aaanndd …… 3 weeks later …….

4 hours ago, almagest said:

The people now complaining that we didn't keep Kimbrel are blowing my mind. Also yes Pollock and Hendriks look terrible but it's 17 games into the season. Take a breather.

Agreed. And Pollock has only started six games since he missed time already

Pollock looks awful, but he's a good player.  He'll come around.  Dude has never consistently played in this kind of weather, and was forced to take a week and a half off right after ST with the hammy. In the scheme of things to worry about, Pollock isn't up there.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, almagest said:

The people now complaining that we didn't keep Kimbrel are blowing my mind. Also yes Pollock and Hendriks look terrible but it's 17 games into the season. Take a breather.

I'm still very happy that Kimbrel was jettisoned and nothing will change my mind about that.

Nick Swisher performed much better when he left here but I didn't give a rat's ass about that......if you forget that time he hit a walk off against us.....that sucked.

Edited by wegner