ST GT 4/1: OAK @ SOX

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This isn't a shot at you, but people who are "analyzing" bat speed with their eyes over the TV are not really making a point. What many people view as a slow bat is really just bad timing. I'm sure Moncada hasn't magically lost bat speed.

This will make me sound like a hypocrite because of my previous comment, but I agree with you

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This isn't a shot at you, but people who are "analyzing" bat speed with their eyes over the TV are not really making a point. What many people view as a slow bat is really just bad timing. I'm sure Moncada hasn't magically lost bat speed.

Moncada had elite EV in 2019 and hasn't been anywhere close since. 

Even in 2017 and 2018 the ball used to explode off his bat when he made contact. That isn't happening anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, brijames1957 said:

I don't think Moncada has a love for the game. He shows no passion out there. basically looks like he is going through the motions. He needs to have the fear of losing his job put in to him. 

It’s spring training and he’s a veteran, why does he need to play with fire right now?

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

His hip is flying open causing the slower bat speed and inability to handle a breaking pitch.  Needs to get a better rhythm to his swing.  Eloy also struggling now, as he’s struck out in quite a few consecutive at bats.

He's cheating on the fastball because he can't catch up anymore. Once an MLB hitter loses their ability to hit a heater they're toast. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

So bizarre Moncada gets scrutinized to death when there's a large group of similarly valuable players on the team who don't

They should too. Nobody does it though. Eloy and Robert chase a lot of bullshit. 

Moncada gets extra flak as the centerpiece of the Sale trade. It's not his fault, but that's what it comes down to. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

I don't think Moncada has a love for the game. He shows no passion out there. basically looks like he is going through the motions. He needs to have the fear of losing his job put in to him. 

Stone has been saying this for awhile now.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada had elite EV in 2019 and hasn't been anywhere close since. 

Even in 2017 and 2018 the ball used to explode off his bat when he made contact. That isn't happening anymore. 

Moncada squaring the ball up less in 2021 than he did in 2019 has nothing to do with bat speed. Peak EV last year was 113.8 MPH, 2019 it was 115.8. His hard hit rate was 7% lower in 2021 than it was in 2019 which likely accounts for the avg EV decline. That is in line with 9 fewer barrels. He just squared the ball up less. It happens.

This ober analyzation of a Yoan Moncada spring training is laughable. I've never seen such a good player face as much absurd ridicule as Moncada in my life as a Sox fan. The hilarious thing is you consider yourself one of his fans but you're one of his most irrational critics by far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada squaring the ball up less in 2021 than he did in 2019 has nothing to do with bat speed. Peak EV last year was 113.8 MPH, 2019 it was 115.8. His hard hit rate was 7% lower in 2021 than it was in 2019 which likely accounts for the avg EV decline. That is in line with 9 fewer barrels. He just squared the ball up less. It happens.

This ober analyzation of a Yoan Moncada spring training is laughable. I've never seen such a good player face as much absurd ridicule as Moncada in my life as a Sox fan. The hilarious thing is you consider yourself one of his fans but you're one of his most irrational critics by far.

He's not the same player he was in 2019, it's pretty obvious. It sucks, but I've accepted that. 

I defended him and Giolito a lot in 2018 when they were the board punching bags. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They should too. Nobody does it though. Eloy and Robert chase a lot of bullshit. 

We'll see how the numbers play out over the course of the season, but I'm guessing opposing pitchers are going to lay out a steady stream of sliders to these two.

Edited by FoxForce2

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He's not the same player he was in 2019, it's pretty obvious. It sucks, but I've accepted that. 

4.5 WAR player last season and he's been the 2nd most valuable 3B in the sport by fWAR since he changed positions in 2019. I'm sure it'll be easy for the Sox to find someone better.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So assuming Sheets is traded or in the minors, what’s our primary lineup going to be against RHP?

C- Grandal

1B- Abreu

2B- Harrison or Leury

SS- TA

3B- Yoan

LF- Eloy

CF- Robert

RF- Pollock

DH- Vaughn

If Sheets isn't here then I don't think we'll be seeing a platoon at DH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

4.5 WAR player last season and he's been the 2nd most valuable 3B in the sport by fWAR since he changed positions in 2019. I'm sure it'll be easy for the Sox to find someone better.

If Moncada does the same thing he did in 2021 I won't complain. 

That's a solid player. 

Like I said, Moncada gets a ton of flak because of who he was traded for, and it's not fair to him. People expected superstar, and they got above average. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I think it's entirely possible covid was still affecting him for much of last season. I remember his max EV occurred during a game in very late September. That gives me optimism the power we saw 2 years ago returns, but even if it doesn't, he's still a very good player.

Moncada trading SLG for OBP, while not intentional, is better for this club when you have guys like Eloy, Robert, TA, who hit for decent power but don't take a lot of walks.

Last year his lack of SLG stood out because a lot of the other power in the lineup was out injured.

• Like 1

Moncada's xwOBA in 2019 was 354, his xwOBA in 2021 was 351.

Moncada walks at almost twice the rate he did in 2019. His OBP was higher in 2021 than it was in 2019 despite hitting 50 points lower. Moncada as a hitter is much more reliable than his profile was in 2019, and the ceiling is still there. The difference between 2019 and 2021 Moncada is that in 2019, that was likely the peak output Moncada was going to get out of that approach and profile. In 2021 and 2022 his peak output is now a 300/400/450-500 guy. I don't think he's a .148 ISO guy. I think he works a lot of counts, has a good eye, and the next step in the process is to absolutely jump on a pitch in your zone - kind of how Yaz has evolved as a hitter. 

Moncada doesn't deserve anywhere near the ridicule from someone like you. He's a 4.5+ WAR player for years to come with a peak probably around 7 or 8 if he has some luck and a good run. You talk about Moncada as if he's some 2-3 WAR regular scraping by as a barely above average player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So assuming Sheets is traded or in the minors, what’s our primary lineup going to be against RHP?

I'd do Anderson, Robert, Abreu, Eloy, Grandal, Moncada, Pollack, Vaughn, Leury.

If you wanted more balance and Yoan looks okay, you could put him at 2, and push everyone down 1.

• Like 1

Moncada's xwOBA in 2019 was 354, his xwOBA in 2021 was 351.

Moncada walks at almost twice the rate he did in 2019. His OBP was higher in 2021 than it was in 2019 despite hitting 50 points lower. Moncada as a hitter is much more reliable than his profile was in 2019, and the ceiling is still there. The difference between 2019 and 2021 Moncada is that in 2019, that was likely the peak output Moncada was going to get out of that approach and profile. In 2021 and 2022 his peak output is now a 300/400/450-500 guy. I don't think he's a .148 ISO guy. I think he works a lot of counts, has a good eye, and the next step in the process is to absolutely jump on a pitch in your zone - kind of how Yaz has evolved as a hitter. 

Moncada doesn't deserve anywhere near the ridicule from someone like you. He's a 4.5+ WAR player for years to come with a peak probably around 7 or 8 if he has some luck and a good run. You talk about Moncada as if he's some 2-3 WAR regular scraping by as a barely above average player.

Shit, I defended him last year. 

I'm concerned about the fact that he has 0 xbh this spring. That's.....not good. 

If Moncada is the guy he was in 2021 that's very good. Nobody is complaining about that. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's a solid player. 

Like I said, Moncada gets a ton of flak because of who he was traded for, and it's not fair to him. People expected superstar, and they got above average. 

Since 2019, Yoan Moncada has the 12th highest fWAR in basbeall. You calling him just an "above average" player is just laughable. Moncada has played 40 fewer games than Devers in the time and generated .6 more WAR.

Since then he's ahead of Bregman, DJ Lamaeheiu, Manny, Yelich, Muncy, Lindor, Albies and on an on - and in fewer games than many of them.

This is the problem with you, and others who claim they're just being "honest" about Moncada. You're actually not. Being honest would be saying... I thought and am hoping he can tap into more power. I didn't see him as a sub 20 home run guy and thought for sure he was a yearly 40 doubles type player; he's got to learn to attack his pitch when he gets it with his good eye to maximize his potential. Even though he grades out as a good runner, I thought we would get some more steals out of him, at least situationally. Those are fair critcisms that don't degrade his total impact as a player and infer that he's some bust or less than expected player. Because overall, he's one of the better players in the game.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fire 2

Since 2019, Yoan Moncada has the 12th highest fWAR in basbeall. You calling him just an "above average" player is just laughable. Moncada has played 40 fewer games than Devers in the time and generated .6 more WAR.

Since then he's ahead of Bregman, DJ Lamaeheiu, Manny, Yelich, Muncy, Lindor, Albies and on an on - and in fewer games than many of them.

This is the problem with you, and others who claim their just being "honest" about Moncada. You're actually not. Being honest would be saying... I thought and am hoping he can tap into more power. I didn't see him as a sub 20 home run guy and thought for sure he was a yearly 40 doubles type player; he's got to learn to attack his pitch when he gets it with his good eye to maximize his potential. Even though he grades out as a good runner, I thought we would get some more steals out of him, at least situationally. Those are fair critcisms that don't degrade his total impact as a player and infer that he's some bust or less than expected player. Because overall, he's one of the better players in the game.

I saw him as a potential 30/30 guy in 2017. I am surprised he never got there. Maybe my expectations were too high. 

I don't disagree with anything you said here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

26 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

Found Steve Stone's account

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1