Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him

bmags

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

IM GONNA RUIN ALL OF YOU ****ERS ABD END THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL SO COVER YOUR GOD*** EYES IF YOU KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU AND RUN FOR YOUR ****ING LIVES!!!!

HELL FIRE AND ACID RAIN IS ABOUT TO POUR!!!!!!!

Words Will Smith could have said at the Oscars for $500, Alex.

Instead sounds like something from the Left Behind series, lol.

35 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I am trying to understand Soxtalk’s hesitancy for trading Vaughn. If it’s a concern over trading him for a rental, okay, but it’s like people are afraid he could become a MVP or something. Why not deal from a position of strength or a logjam of similar position players to address a weakness?

He’s one of the best hitters to come out of the draft in the last ten years. He held his own after skipping AA and AAA. Yes, he might hit like an MVP at some point in the next few years. 

• Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

FUCK THE PADRES

What stopped the White Sox from spending millions in Latin America?

That's not even the 1/2 of it, because Arias of the Clevinger trade might be the best one of all...now we will be dealing with him and Quantrill for five years until the next Guardians fire sale.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keller and Luzardo have + stuff so why is Vaughn the only player capable of improving? 

Anyone can improve. However rookies I. The first look at the league have a better chance.

Besides I didn't comment on any other players only on your comment of Vaghn hitting against right handed pitching when the ground is damp and humidity is above 84%.

Edited by ptatc

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

7-17, 6.17 ERA last year.  Would fit in well with Velasquez.

Maybe we can get Jon Adkins, too.

Keller's velo is up to 100 all of the sudden.  He has excellent command and was a top prospect at one point.  I'd rather see him out there every 5th day than VV.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This board has become full on insufferable. The White Sox not having a window beyond 2023 is 1 of the dumber things typed on the internet today

If there will be no baseball until 2023 at the earliest AND no window beyond 2023…do the White Sox even exist?

Assuming Lynn isn’t seriously hurt, I’m fine missing out on Manaea. Dude just doesn’t move the needle much. But we certainly need to add some SP depth in the next few days. This does, however, seem like a very bearable package. But appears Oakland wanted some pitching that could help sooner than we could provide. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nokona said:

Keller's velo is up to 100 all of the sudden.  He has excellent command and was a top prospect at one point.  I'd rather see him out there every 5th day than VV.

Well, sure.  Although any starter throwing that hard doesn't tend to last very long these days.

The issue was the Vaughn price tag.

Also, it's hard to come up with many pitchers at mlbtraderumors for $3 million I would rather NOT have than VV.  Derek Holland, maybe.  Arrieta.  Matt Harvey.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

He’s one of the best hitters to come out of the draft in the last ten years. He held his own after skipping AA and AAA. Yes, he might hit like an MVP at some point in the next few years. 

Mike Schmidt came up at same age as Vaughn, same number of at bats, lower first season OPS and he couldn't hit righties at all.   The Phillies were not stupid enough to trade him for some 30 year old 5th starter.  He went on to have a pretty good career and destroyed right handed pitchers the rest of the way.  Maybe Vaughn could get better too.  A .900 OPS hitter cost controlled for next five or six years that can play several positions might have some value. Although really, with our two year window, why bother being patient.  

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

For real FTP (fuck the padres/packers), but I’m not surprised. The fact that his name had been mentioned/linked to the Sox for awhile shows the complete failure on this front office, AGAIN. 

Still think the Mets might have wanted Manaea over Paddack...we'll see if they revisit yesterday's trade. 

Or Hosmer to the Cubs, lol.

4 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

For real FTP (fuck the padres/packers), but I’m not surprised. The fact that his name had been mentioned/linked to the Sox for awhile shows the complete failure on this front office, AGAIN. 

You mean the 79-83 Padres?  The team with top 5 payroll full of old guys and bad contracts?   The team that has won zero play off games since giving $300 million to Machado?  The team that gave another $300 million contract to a guy constantly hurt?  Yes every move the Padres make is one that Soxtalk wanted the Sox to do.  Hmm.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Nokona said:

Sure. But not for AV as Jack suggested. That’s bonkers. 

7 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

You mean the 79-83 Padres?  The team with top 5 payroll full of old guys and bad contracts?   The team that has won zero play off games since giving $300 million to Machado?  The team that gave another $300 million contract to a guy constantly hurt?  Yes every move the Padres make is one that Soxtalk wanted the Sox to do.  Hmm.  

They beat the Cardinals 2020 in the postseason.

Old guys are Myers and Hosmer, but the White Sox have 11 over 30 now, too.

At any rate, Preller will go down (or up) with Tatis and Abrams and that pitching staff...the White Sox, fwiw, passed on Abrams for the surer thing in Vaughn that 2019 draft at #3, Abrams went 6th overall.

But they desperately need a 2B now, not a 1B.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

The same people moaning for the Padres would be complaining to no end if the Sox made the same moves. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure. But not for AV as Jack suggested. That’s bonkers. 

Again, from the Pirates point of view Vaughn hit .235 with an OPS barely over .700 and a 68 wRC+ against RHP. 

Both guys kinda sucked as rookies

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, from the Pirates point of view Vaughn hit .235 with an OPS barely over .700 and a 68 wRC+ against RHP

Hate to tell you this but other teams look at potential as well. Not just what a rookie did while playing 2 positions he hasn't played before.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Hate to tell you this but other teams look at potential as well. Not just what a rookie did while playing 2 positions he hasn't played before.

Sure. Just as Vaughn still has potential, so does Keller. 

You guys are overrating Vaughn and underrating Keller just because Vaughn is under team control of the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The same people moaning for the Padres would be complaining to no end if the Sox made the same moves. 

They would be against signing a Machado or Harper, trading for Tatis and drafting an athletic up the middle player in Abrams?

That's the exact opposite of the White Sox approach...which is no defense and all corner players except for Anderson and Robert.

And I would like a GM who traded for three guys who won Cy Young's or finished Top 5 like Darvish, Snell and Clevinger.  You can never have too much pitching, after all.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

People forget that Vaughn hit .235 with a 68 wRC+ against RHP last year. 

No Jack people don't care about that. That was then this is now and most of us expect a big jump in his production against RHP It was essentially him learning on the job without the benefit of hardly any minor league time because of the injuries that I was down on him last year. I didn't like it at the time. I cared more about winning since I never took making the playoff for granted. I thought he should've been getting every day AB in the minors or sat more since he could hit lefties well.

But I never in my life Soxtalk life saw such rabid support for any draft choice as I saw for  Vaughn in the 1st half last year even when his wRC+ was 38 against RHP.

• Thanks 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Manaea to Padres, Sox were in on him