Sox Acquire Reese McGuire for Zack Collins, Officially

Heads22

2 minutes ago, black jack said:

Exposed sexual organs?  

That's a broad spectrum of things it could've been.

Hopefully he was drunk peeing in a parking lot at 2am and not flashing people or masturbating in his car.

that was literally what he was doing

To give you an idea of just how bad Collins was last year defensively: The Sox as a team had a -40 DRS combined in 2021. Collins was responsible for -18 of that in 78 games. McGuire was +2 in the same amount of games.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, chw42 said:

To give you an idea of just how bad Collins was last year defensively: The Sox as a team had a -40 DRS combined in 2021. Collins was responsible for -18 of that. McGuire was +2 in just 78 games.

It’s not a bad move in it’s own right, we needed a defensive catcher more than whatever Collins could provide offensively.

• Like 1

I like it. Mcguire can't hit but collins didn't hit either and he also wasn't a real catcher, all he was was a high strikeout platoon DH who could take a walk. 

Sox really only need a backup who can hit over .220 and play decent defense. 

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

I am jacked up for this trade. Really think this will help us spank the competition. Collins wasn't a jerk, but he was really starting to rub me the wrong way. Now Grandal won't have to play with himself as the only legit catcher on the roster. This will give Tony a hand when setting the lineup when Grandal needs a day off.  Not sure McGuire has much of an offensive stroke, but he can handle himself behind the plate and maybe he'll whack a few out of the park.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

7 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I am jacked up for this trade. Really think this will help us spank the competition. Collins wasn't a jerk, but he was really starting to rub me the wrong way. Now Grandal won't have to play with himself as the only legit catcher on the roster. This will give Tony a hand when setting the lineup when Grandal needs a day off.  Not sure McGuire has much of an offensive stroke, but he can handle himself behind the plate and maybe he'll whack a few out of the park.

I knew nothing about him 30 minutes ago, but a quick look on baseball reference shows he's defensively a vast improvement over Collins.

For example, McGuire 20 steals, 11 caught stealing last year.  Also 4 Passed balls and 17 wild pitches.  Collins 45 steals, 9 caught stealing.  3 PB, 37 WP.  Very similar number of innings.   (Seby Zavala?  In about 60% of number of games as the other 2, he was a negative defensively, with 8 PBs, 15 WP, and only 3 CS on 24 SBs.) 

Also, McGuire has very pronounced splits.  He hit pretty well his first two seasons, on very limited ABs.  Last year, not so good. But against righties, he was less horrible -- 91 wRC+.  His career split against righties is 102 wRC+.  (Versus lefties it is 17.)  

So, he's nothing to get too excited about, but he's definitely a defensive upgrade.  

• Like 1

Sorta bummed to see the book closed on Collins. Dude was an awful catcher, but I do expect if he ever got a chance to hit consistently in the bigs, the power would show. But I don’t think Toronto is going to be that place for Zack either. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox Acquire Reese McGuire for Zack Collins, Officially
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • knightni pinned this topic