Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep time to trade Adolfo and a prospect for some pitching.  As my buddy CWS just mentioned, it’s really difficult to see how they cover all the innings in April.

The names aren't exciting, but Brubaker from the Pirates would be a nice get. Possibly a guy like Dean Kremer from the O's instead. Find someone that's stretched out who can help and get a deal done.

• Like 1

Man, you could see this lack of pitching depth coming a mile away. Bet they wish they at least tried with Rodon now.  This is why I was against Pilkington for Hernandez at the deadline.  Team has no pitching depth and is too cheap to sign real free agents, so either they go young or they go very old.  Right now, they have no young pitchers to turn to.  This move has a real Ervin Santana vibe to it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Man, you could see this lack of pitching depth coming a mile away. Bet they wish they at least tried with Rodon now.  This is why I was against Pilkington for Hernandez at the deadline.  Team has no pitching depth and is too cheap to sign real free agents, so either they go young or they go very old.  Right now, they have no young pitchers to turn to.  This move has a real Ervin Santana vibe to it.

I think Cueto has more in the tank than Santana did. 

Just now, Timmy U said:

I know this is more in the weeds than a lot of people want to go, but it is absolutely insane a team this good was willing to go into the season with Jimmy Lambert, Emilo Vargas, & Kade McClure as the top pitching depth in the organization. It would have been impossible to do worse if they targeted teams with 40 man crunches to get an extra starter or 2. Pilkington was the best upper minors SP prospect in the system by a mile and trading him away for a mediocre 2B stop gap 2B never made any sense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Polar Bear said:

I believe Cueto is still out there for cheap

On 4/3/2022 at 2:48 AM, Polar Bear said:

Cueto and Trevor Rosenthal on cheap contracts should get us the depth we need 

13 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

He would easily come in and be our number 4, so no he is not dog shit.  

In fact, given our budget and need, both Rosenthal and Cueto are perfect fits 

game-of-thrones-got.gif

28 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Weak. 

So much for the "quality" SP Stone mentioned. This is crap. The division will be tight all year.

They still need another starter - this just helps with depth. Quite frankly he is better than Velasquez already and they still got to upgrade. But this was absolutely right initial move. 

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He doesn't need to finish the season. He needs to start it. Lynn will will be back in June.

This - plus despite being on the older side…when healthy he is a much better option than Velasquez anyway. I don’t want Montas at the price given up - let’s just give up a ton in the minors for some younger cost controlled stud that eventually goes on the market (go kw style). 

53 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Weak. 

So much for the "quality" SP Stone mentioned. This is crap. The division will be tight all year.

This move literally cost the Sox nothing.

Plus, it only improves their negotiating stand w/ teams looking to trade a veteran (Montas) by telling them we have have bodies on standby if a trade can't be made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I do like how this is structured.  If he goes to Charlotte and gets destroyed, they don’t have to ever promote him and the cost is minimal.

Well, pretty much anyone with a sub 5 ERA is doing well at Charlotte.

They need some veteran stability to get through the first half.  Who knows, maybe Keuchel or Cueto catch fire like Latos did for a handful of starts.

They desperately needed to cover innings with someone better than Lambert or Stiever, so that was accomplished.

Would rather give him a chance than Velasquez in the rotation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Pilkington has an 8.22 ERA this spring and just gave up 3 ER in 3 IP to a pretty terrible DBacks team.  He wasn’t going to be the savior this season, skipping all the way past AAA.

You can trust the Indians to get the max out of him, but he’s not really perceived as a long-term starter over there…not unless they have the same amount of injuries as last season.