Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - plus despite being on the older side…when healthy he is a much better option than Velasquez anyway. I don’t want Montas at the price given up - let’s just give up a ton in the minors for some younger cost controlled stud that eventually goes on the market (go kw style). 

They’re just trying to keep their heads above water until the calendar hits July.  And hope to God they don’t lose another one of their remaining Big 3.

Let’s not forget Charlotte will be playing Tuesday through Thursday in Norfolk.  Actually six in row, Tuesday through Sunday, with next Monday off.

Edited by caulfield12

Who's to say you can't use him a middle relief depth? In the event Lopez or VV are holding thing's down he's a veteran option over the weak back end of the bullpen. He wouldn't even need to be fully stretched out.

Edited by mac9001

54 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This move literally cost the Sox nothing.

Plus, it only improves their negotiating stand w/ teams looking to trade a veteran (Montas) by telling them we have have bodies on standby if a trade can't be made.

4.2m isn't nothing when we're already damn near close to maxed out. If you believe reports that we could not spend until we got Kimbrel off the books and the FO had to basically use the savings to swap in Pollocks salary, that means Cueto just ate 4.2m of the 6m net savings. 

So we're basically sitting with less than 2m left to use. If there are any other major injuries the Sox have will have to either sacrifice significant pieces of an otherwise desolate farm system or they'll watch helplessly as the rest of the Central closes in on what should have been a cakewalk division title again.

I'm glad he cost us "nothing", tho...

More cheap filler crap. 

They're trying to plug leaks in the bottom of a boat with bubble gum. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

4.2m isn't nothing when we're already damn near close to maxed out. If you believe reports that we could spend until we got Kimbrel off the books and the FO had to basically use the savings to swap in Pollocks salary, that means Cueto just ate 4.2m of the 6m net savings. 

So we're basically sitting with less than 2m left to use. If there are any other major injuries the Sox have will have to either sacrifice significant pieces of an otherwise desolate farm system or they'll watch helplessly as the rest of the Central closes in on what should have been a cakewalk division title again.

I'm glad he cost us "nothing", tho...

More cheap filler crap. 

They'll trying to plug leaks in the bottom of a boat with bubble gum. 

Nobody knows their actual payroll cap…but they’re nowhere close to hitting the tax.  And that Cueto deal isn’t guaranteed…plus its prorated, too.  They’re not just giving away money.  If Cueto pitches well, he can make some money.  If not, he catches on with another team in the middle of May, like the Mets.  He just needs to pitch right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another move that was about as good as was available. Hopefully he can get himself into big league shape in a hurry 

The middle relief idea tossed out earlier is really interesting. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with this.  If he can pitch well enough to give us some decent innings to fill the gap until Lynn returns, that's all we need.  I'm hoping/expecting him to outperform Keuchel.  And, I just want to see him mess with hitters' timing with his on-mound shenanigans.

This move probably doesn’t help over the first four weeks all that much.  Definitely need another multi-inning guy ASAP.  Either one of the Charlotte guys not on the 40 man or will need to be a claim / trade in the next couple days.  I really hope they can find a trade partner for Adolfo that’s willing to give up some major league reliever because carrying Micker for a month seems like a really bad idea right now given the need for innings out of the bullpen.

This is a very good move. It would have been a very good move even if Lynn hadn't gotten hurt.

A lot of people seem to have missed the fact that the Sox aren't on the hook for the full $4.5M. His salary is prorated only for the time he spends in the majors. So basically $25/K per day he's on the active roster.

Nobody is expecting him to pitch a full season. If they get 10 5-inning starts out of him at a 4.5 ERA, that's a big help. That's fewer starts that someone like Lambert has to come up and make, or fewer starts that Lopez has to make which keeps him in the pen and makes it stronger, or, in a best case scenario, it's fewer innings that Keuchel has to pitch when nobody expects him to even be as good as a 4.5 ERA.

I still think they should have pulled the trigger on Manaea or one of the other starters who got traded, but this is probably the next best thing.

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The last 2 moves have been so minor, yet so desperately needed for this team. Combine that with the Pollock move and Hahn really did a great job buttoning this team up at the end of the Spring.

Imagine if Hahn had worked with the same level of fervor, at the START of the spring...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This is a very good move. It would have been a very good move even if Lynn hadn't gotten hurt.

A lot of people seem to have missed the fact that the Sox aren't on the hook for the full $4.5M. His salary is prorated only for the time he spends in the majors. So basically $25/K per day he's on the active roster.

Nobody is expecting him to pitch a full season. If they get 10 5-inning starts out of him at a 4.5 ERA, that's a big help. That's fewer starts that someone like Lambert has to come up and make, or fewer starts that Lopez has to make which keeps him in the pen and makes it stronger, or, in a best case scenario, it's fewer innings that Keuchel has to pitch when nobody expects him to even be as good as a 4.5 ERA.

I still think they should have pulled the trigger on Manaea or one of the other starters who got traded, but this is probably the next best thing.

Do we know for sure it works that way even if called up and eventually released?

I’m at least glad they made a move and have some starting pitching depth while Lynn recovers. They really need to stay healthy though. 

I find some of the money spent to be somewhat unreasonable given what Rodon received, but I am happy they at least addressed their weaknesses. Let’s let it play out and see how it goes.

So for this years budget they traded Kimbrel for Pollock and signed Cueto (pollocks 5 mil buyout is next season), and i think that was a very solid use of funds. Katz knows him, so that is definitely helpful. Lets hope 1-2 months of lightning in a bottle and its worth everything

Edited by EloyJenkins

25 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Imagine if Hahn had worked with the same level of fervor, at the START of the spring...

While this depth move was absolutely needed, I get the same feeling.  

I so wanted Robbie Ray before the lockout, and yes he got $23M AAV, but I count $18M potentially locked up in mediocre garbage that probably could have been filled with cheaper options.  That’s Rodon’s QO had the taken it or most of the way to a CY Young winning LHP at the front of your rotation.  The way this teams wastes cash and then cries poor on big ticket FA will never ceases to amaze me. 

Edited by Tnetennba

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - plus despite being on the older side…when healthy he is a much better option than Velasquez anyway. I don’t want Montas at the price given up - let’s just give up a ton in the minors for some younger cost controlled stud that eventually goes on the market (go kw style). 

Man, I hope I'm wrong but cueto just doesn't fit the ballpark at all. I think he's going to get absolutely torched. Sox have spent 7.5 million on cueto/Velasquez and 11 million on harrison/leury. It's just an absolutely terrible allocation of 18.5 million dollars.

• Like 3
  • Love 1