Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can't agree with cueto being a good move at all.

I agree. This move has less than a 5% chance of working out. Although he is probably a better option than most of the Sox minor league starters. There is a reason he is available on a minor league contract right now. AL + Guaranteed Rate Field vs. pitching with pitchers in the line up in SF, is a big change. He used to be great.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No way. I'd take keuchel over cueto 10 times out of 10 which is saying something.

If I had could only have one and have him on my roster the entire season I'd take Keuchel because he'll pitch more innings, but I think over whatever number of innings Cueto can provide, he'll be better than Keuchel.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can't agree with cueto being a good move at all.

It’s one of those things where if your evaluation period is the last week it looks reasonable but if you zoom out months it looks terrible

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Man, I hope I'm wrong but cueto just doesn't fit the ballpark at all. I think he's going to get absolutely torched. Sox have spent 7.5 million on cueto/Velasquez and 11 million on harrison/leury. It's just an absolutely terrible allocation of 18.5 million dollars.

Cueto was the best guy left on the market and with Lynn hurt, it was basically a signing that needed to happen. 

With that said, the above is also absolutely correct. I think Leury can provide some value, but if you asked me which I’d rather have: 

Rodon + Leury 

or 

Leury + Velasquez + Harrison + Cueto

I’m taking the top option every time, and there is no reason it couldn’t have played out that way. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. This move has less than a 5% chance of working out. Although he is probably a better option than most of the Sox minor league starters. There is a reason he is available on a minor league contract right now. AL + Guaranteed Rate Field vs. pitching with pitchers in the line up in SF, is a big change. He used to be great.

What do you define as “working out”? It seems to me his job is basically to throw 30 innings before May 31 with an ERA of like 5, but make it so they don’t have to use Mr. offday as their 5th starter so that Kopech, Cease, and Giolito don’t overwork and so that the bullpen doesn’t get crushed. Is that “working out”?

Wanted:  Veteran pitcher needed to help eat some innings.

Cueto fits that.  He may suck but it is worth a try..  Not much different than the veteran starting pitchers they've given a shot on the past.

Don't love the move or hate it.  It pretty much was a no brainer especially when it's a minor league contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Cueto was the best guy left on the market and with Lynn hurt, it was basically a signing that needed to happen. 

With that said, the above is also absolutely correct. I think Leury can provide some value, but if you asked me which I’d rather have: 

Rodon + Leury 

or 

Leury + Velasquez + Harrison + Cueto

I’m taking the top option every time, and there is no reason it couldn’t have played out that way. 

Well, except for the White Sox being totally unwilling to offer a multiyear deal…

• Like 1

By the way, I'd appreciate it if Hahn & Co would take care of these moves at a reasonable hour...I'm catching up on my rest now so I can stay up for west coast games later in the season and don't want to have to stay up til midnight waiting for a Cueto like announcement.

Also when they happen later, I have to wake up to needing to read multiple Soxtalk pages in response.  I don't mind of course but I do have quordle to try to get to before I start my day.

Thank you for your consideration when making future moves.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s one of those things where if your evaluation period is the last week it looks reasonable but if you zoom out months it looks terrible

Yeah, the "shocked face" we needed more starters bit is what the issue is here. The Sox were reactionary to an injury when they knew they were light on starters. They waited so long that this was their "best option." I also just don't think it's there best option and I realize it's all junk out there. Cueto's profile just does not fit the ballpark and the Sox seem to never consider things like that. This move is Mat Latos but worse. Maybe they can get some batted ball luck for a few innings, but I just don't see how Cueto helps them win or is reliable in anyway. 

Like Johnny though so hoping I'm wrong and he can put together a couple decent starts. I don't think the Sox will leave him down regardless of how bad he is down there though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s really frustrating that this team looks worse on paper than last year.  It’s still a very talented team but I think we all expected the talent level to remain similar, if not improve, then to see it go down a bit.

They didn't replace Rodon and pitching is an issue but I feel much better after the additions of Pollock and McGuire. The offense is ridiculous. 

• Like 4

I'm probably missing something, but I don't see this as a terrible signing.  He looked decent last year, and the Sox only need him to pitch a few starts.  And there's little to no risk if he's absolutely terrible in AAA.  If he doesn't get brought up by May 15, he's gone and the Sox don't have to shell out the $4.2M.  Truly a low risk, medium reward deal.

I expect him to do well enough to be brought up and then pitch well enough to be the patch we need.  The longevity of him pitching well could certainly be a concern, but that shouldn't (hopefully) be something we need to worry about.

And can we stop talking about Rodon after every signing/trade?  He wasn't going to accept the QO, so the $18M wasn't going to spent on him regardless.  I get the loss of the draft pick, and that's a headscratcher, but Rodon would not be in a White Sox uniform right now unless the Sox offered him a deal similar to what he got.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This is a very good move. It would have been a very good move even if Lynn hadn't gotten hurt.

A lot of people seem to have missed the fact that the Sox aren't on the hook for the full $4.5M. His salary is prorated only for the time he spends in the majors. So basically $25/K per day he's on the active roster.

Nobody is expecting him to pitch a full season. If they get 10 5-inning starts out of him at a 4.5 ERA, that's a big help. That's fewer starts that someone like Lambert has to come up and make, or fewer starts that Lopez has to make which keeps him in the pen and makes it stronger, or, in a best case scenario, it's fewer innings that Keuchel has to pitch when nobody expects him to even be as good as a 4.5 ERA.

I still think they should have pulled the trigger on Manaea or one of the other starters who got traded, but this is probably the next best thing.

Let’s not get carried away here. We should have aimed higher than Cueto.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No way. I'd take keuchel over cueto 10 times out of 10 which is saying something.

I'm in the minority and think that Keuchel will have a bounce back year this year.

I don't expect a world beater but a solid 4 in the rotation.  

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Which is exactly why they should have given it to him.

And I agreed with that.  My point was that the $18M wasn't going to be spent on him, so we can't say "Instead of Rodon, we have players X, Y, and Z".

• bmags unpinned this topic