Cueto to Sox (Official)

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

4 pages in and people still not understanding how a minor league deal works and bitching about $4.2 million which aren't guaranteed.

SMH

Probably 75-80% they do use him in Chicago…how much of the prorated $4.2 million is the question, but still 10x better than giving the money they gifted to Derek Holland or Erwin Santana.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Man, I hope I'm wrong but cueto just doesn't fit the ballpark at all. I think he's going to get absolutely torched. Sox have spent 7.5 million on cueto/Velasquez and 11 million on harrison/leury. It's just an absolutely terrible allocation of 18.5 million dollars.

Cueto's deal is prorated based on how long much he pitches for the Sox ie, none of it is guaranteed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Probably 75-80% they do use him in Chicago…how much of the prorated $4.2 million is the question, but still 10x better than giving the money they gifted to Derek Holland or Erwin Santana.

As far as I can tell, prorated based in days with the team. If he's with the team for half the season, he gets half the $4.2M. If he's there for only 10% of the season, he only gets 10% of the money ($420,000).

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. This move has less than a 5% chance of working out. Although he is probably a better option than most of the Sox minor league starters. There is a reason he is available on a minor league contract right now. AL + Guaranteed Rate Field vs. pitching with pitchers in the line up in SF, is a big change. He used to be great.

The ball really doesn’t start to jump out of the park until late May/early June.  Just need him for 4-6 weeks, until mid-May or so. 

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Cueto's deal is prorated based on how long much he pitches for the Sox ie, none of it is guaranteed. 

Just so we check this - if he’s called up on May 1 or whatever, the remaining $3.5 million doesn’t become guaranteed if he’s called up, right? If he’s cut on June 1, he gets like $750k? 

Asking since I’m not sure I’ve seen a contract structure like that.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Which is exactly why they should have given it to him.

Even if he did, subtract Velazquez and Harrison ($8M) for him and you're adding $10M to payroll for possibly the AL's top staff, bump Keuchel to the bullpen in VV's place, Romy takes Harrison's place and Leury is your starting 2B.

And now you add Cueto as depth.

How is that not better in every single way???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so we check this - if he’s called up on May 1 or whatever, the remaining $3.5 million doesn’t become guaranteed if he’s called up, right? If he’s cut on June 1, he gets like $750k? 

Should be games rostered for the Sox divided by 162 x $4.2.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's how I read it based on Passan's tweet. Maybe that's inaccurate, but the fact that it's a minor league deal already tells us none of the money is guaranteed. 

Also he has an opt out for May 15th if the Sox haven't called him up by then.

1 minute ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The amount of complaining in this thread is a sure sign this is a good move.

The same people who claimed Kimbrel had negative value are moping the most of course

The complaining is at least 50% not moving until it was too late and Cueto was the best left…versus Cueto’s fit or lack thereof at GRF.  

Seemingly not taking serious the need to back up Kopech/Keuchel with anyone but Lopez and Velasquez.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

So the Sox made the offer with the expectation to not pay him? Trying to figure out the logic here. I get that it's prorated.

If they had that money to offer to him then surely that money was a part of their budget, no?

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

What's odd here is that Hahn found a reason to give Velasquez a guaranteed contract instead of using this same deal on him.

No one was lining up for Velasquez’s services. 

VV, Josh Harrison…even Leury at the beginning of the offseason for more than two years at age 31, those were the REAL head scratchers.  Then the extra year for Graveman and signing Kelly when he wasn’t 100%.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the Sox made the offer with the expectation to not pay him? Trying to figure out the logic here. I get that it's prorated.

If they had that money to offer to him then surely that money was a part of their budget, no?

I get you don't like how the money has been spent this offseason, I don't think any of us do, but that doesn't change the fact that the Sox have NOT spent $4.2M on Cueto. If he earns the entire $4.2M (he won't), then that either means he has pitched really well or we desperately needed him to stick around, in either case, that sounds like he would be worth it at that point. The rest of the money spent poorly is irrelevant to this contract.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This move probably doesn’t help over the first four weeks all that much.  Definitely need another multi-inning guy ASAP.  Either one of the Charlotte guys not on the 40 man or will need to be a claim / trade in the next couple days.  I really hope they can find a trade partner for Adolfo that’s willing to give up some major league reliever because carrying Micker for a month seems like a really bad idea right now given the need for innings out of the bullpen.

Id probably rather carry Micker than Mendick and/or Seby assuming Micker cannot be moved for anything useful and would otherwise be DFA. Micker wont play basically at all, but I’d rather give him a shot in RF if someone gets hurt than see Leury out there. Maybe you can find a trade part partner in a couple weeks too. I suspect roster will be 14/14.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Id probably rather carry Micker than Mendick and/or Seby assuming Micker cannot be moved for anything useful and would otherwise be DFA. Micker wont play basically at all, but I’d rather give him a shot in RF if someone gets hurt than see Leury out there. Maybe you can find a trade part partner in a couple weeks too. I suspect roster will be 14/14.

Leury will get those two SS starts and plenty of action at 2B if Harrison gets off to a slow start…or a RHP is on the mound.

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I get you don't like how the money has been spent this offseason, I don't think any of us do, but that doesn't change the fact that the Sox have NOT spent $4.2M on Cueto. If he earns the entire $4.2M (he won't), then that either means he has pitched really well or we desperately needed him to stick around, in either case, that sounds like he would be worth it at that point. The rest of the money spent poorly is irrelevant to this contract.

The point is the money was offered and is a part of the budget. Whether they spend it or not is kind of irrelevant 

36 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I'm in the minority and think that Keuchel will have a bounce back year this year.

I don't expect a world beater but a solid 4 in the rotation.  

That may be the case, but they absolutely cannot let him pitch 160 innings. And with Kopechs innings limits, and Lynn now out 2 months, they just need bodies. Probably another as well.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I disagree, but ok, I guess.

So the money isn't a part of the budget? Having a hard time following here.

The Sox offered someone 4.2 million dollars to play. While the 4.2 million isn't guarnteed, there's a non-zero chance they pay out about 4 million of it. When building budgets out, you're not ignoring a value because it might not be paid. It's a part of the total cost until it's not; that's how that works. So they clearly had 4 million to offer to someone, and they chose someone who it's not gauranteed too but still potentially being paid to.

The fact that there's a safety valve that says if he sucks, we don't pay it, doesn't take away from the fact that it was a part of your budget when you offered it. The money had to be there to offer it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Besides the obvious, this also probably means that trade season for pitchers is now closed for the White Sox.  If it weren't, the probably don't make this deal.

Not sure I agree with this. Seeing as though Cueto can’t help until at least early May, we still need someone to cover a rotation spot thru April. Don’t expect anyone exciting, but someone to help in meantime is still needed. 

• Like 2

• bmags unpinned this topic