TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I have zero interest in replacing one guy who hadn’t managed in 10 years with another.  Ozzie’s style worked until it didn’t.  Fans that still clamour for his return always seem to forget just how terrible he was his last few years here, negotiating to be manager of another franchise while still under contract aside. 

Even if TLR were to step down at this point, the Sox would almost certainly go with a 'Company Man' - IMO the worst of all possible worlds. This organization needs fresh blood in more than a few coaching,scouting, and management positions

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Even if TLR were to step down at this point, the Sox would almost certainly go with a 'Company Man' - IMO the worst of all possible worlds. This organization needs fresh blood in more than a few coaching,scouting, and management positions

They do need fresh blood from the top down.  But I would take a ‘company man’ or even a minor league coaching promotion over TLR at this point.  Anyone not actively holding the team back. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Right now we have the worst possible combination- a guy who has no idea what he’s doing and no professionalism, but insists he does, and an owner who has fully empowered him.

A guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing, but still tries the best he can, who is willing to work with people, and who just tries to be professional is an upgrade just by trying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

They do need fresh blood from the top down.  But I would take a ‘company man’ or even a minor league coaching promotion over TLR at this point.  Anyone not actively holding the team back. 

But who? Not very long ago, He Who Shall Not Be Named was the 'hair apparent' (sic), as the immediate future in the Sox plans for manager. Maybe there are some inspiring young talents in the organization, I don't know. I'm not being snide here, but do you have any names in mind?

9 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

But who? Not very long ago, He Who Shall Not Be Named was the 'hair apparent' (sic), as the immediate future in the Sox plans for manager. Maybe there are some inspiring young talents in the organization, I don't know. I'm not being snide here, but do you have any names in mind?

If he were to resign midseason, aside from guys on his staff the guy I think they might ask would be Thome.

20 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If TLR got canned mid season, it would almost certainly be McEwing interim. Which is fine. Still a huge improvement. Then hire some fresh blood next offseason. But this is all a pipe dream. 

Edited by ChiSox59

I'll eat my left shoe if TLR is fired or steps down this season.  I don't see it happening, regardless of the rumblings that the clubhouse is in shambles.  My guess is we're going to hear, like last year, that everyone loves Tony and what we're hearing about there being issues is BS.

That being said, what happened in the 10th inning yesterday is a fireable offense in my mind.  Especially considering the horrible lineups, over-use of Leury, and general poor in-game decisions that we're already seeing.  No one, not one damn person, looked at the situation with runners on second and third (who got there after a wild pitch), one out, and Buxton at the plate and would have pitched to him.  Well, one person did, and he cost us the game.

Arguably, he lost the series for the team...hell, lost the road trip.

I know the players are adults and need to play better, but when you have someone disconnected from reality steering the ship, it's going to sink.  And it's already listing seriously to starboard.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If TLR got canned mid season, it would almost certainly be McEwing interim. Which is fine. Still a huge improvement. Then hire some fresh blood next offseason. But this is all a pipe dream. 

It would be McEwing no doubt, with the FO removing the interim tag in the off-season.  

17 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I don’t know the guys coaching in the minors at all.  

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It would be McEwing no doubt, with the FO removing the interim tag in the off-season.  

I would be livid if they keep promoting only either internal people or people connected with the sox.  Find the best candidate to take this team to the promised land.  Not just X because he is better than the zombie who is currently in charge.  I don't want former players who have no experience doing this.  Thats how we wound up with Ventura.  Ventura was one of my favorite players.  He was not a good coach at all. 

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t know the guys coaching in the minors at all.  

There was some chatter about Justin Jerschele being a future big league manager in the past. He’s at Birmingham right now. I could see him getting added to the staff in this fairytale scenario, but doubt they’d give him the manager role.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There was some chatter about Justin Jerschele being a future big league manager in the past. He’s at Birmingham right now. I could see him getting added to the staff in this fairytale scenario, but doubt they’d give him the manager role.

He’s the only name I know.  He seemed like he was being groomed for the gig back when RR was let go, but I agree I don’t see them handing him the keys w/o spending time in the dugout with the big club. 

1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

In the event he does get fired…who will be the next guy. Assuming it will be a guy with “Sox family” connections. 

Ozzie?

A.J.?

Fisk?

Why would anyone think Carlton Fisk would make a good manager in 2022? He’s 74 years old and hasn’t been around the game since he retired in 1993. The last time I heard anything about him in the news was when he caught drunk and sleeping behind the wheel of his pickup truck in a field in New Lenox. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Right now we have the worst possible combination- a guy who has no idea what he’s doing and no professionalism, but insists he does, and an owner who has fully empowered him.

A guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing, but still tries the best he can, who is willing to work with people, and who just tries to be professional is an upgrade just by trying.

What some fans should understand is that LaRussa wasn't hired for his "hall of fame credentials." He was hired because he's a friend of the CEO and that CEO had a weird reason for hiring him. I don't see LaRussa quitting. And JR will only dig his heels in more as we fans call fora new manager. We can only hope that the hitting picks up, and things will otherwise improve as injured players return.  But LaRussa is here to stay unless he gets fed up and leaves on his own.

6 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Why would anyone think Carlton Fisk would make a good manager in 2022? He’s 74 years old and hasn’t been around the game since he retired in 1993. The last time I heard anything about him in the news was when he caught drunk and sleeping behind the wheel of his pickup truck in a field in New Lenox. 

You could swap "Tony LaRussa" and "2021" into that reply and get something awfully close to what we could have said a year or two ago. Not saying its a good option, but an imaginable one for this FO - for better or worse.

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

I would be livid if they keep promoting only either internal people or people connected with the sox.  Find the best candidate to take this team to the promised land.  Not just X because he is better than the zombie who is currently in charge.  I don't want former players who have no experience doing this.  Thats how we wound up with Ventura.  Ventura was one of my favorite players.  He was not a good coach at all. 

Its midseason.  Going to be tough to find an external guy at this point.  If we're lucky enough that TLR gets fired or asked to step down (again, fantasy land) - it'll be McEwing on a interim basis.  Then hopefully the org does a real managerial search in the offseason.  

21 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

What some fans should understand is that LaRussa wasn't hired for his "hall of fame credentials." He was hired because he's a friend of the CEO and that CEO had a weird reason for hiring him. I don't see LaRussa quitting. And JR will only dig his heels in more as we fans call fora new manager. We can only hope that the hitting picks up, and things will otherwise improve as injured players return.  But LaRussa is here to stay unless he gets fed up and leaves on his own.

The fan base theoretically has a hand in this.  He should be getting worn out to no end from Sox fans this homestand.  Hopefully the media turns up the pressure too.  

I don't know why anyone would be surprised. Hawk took a lot of heat for firing him, and he probably went about it wrong, especially his very public pursuit of Billy Martin. But this is the same stuff that upset people 35 years ago. The guy is a product of managing jugernauts. As soon as Oakland stopped paying everyone, they sucked and he went to the Cardinals. He's no genius. Never has been. Owes his roster everything. It's the only reason he can say he is a hall of fame baseball person. If he went to the Twins or Brewers or the Padres instead of a loaded A's roster ready to win, he just would have been another guy.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1