TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I think that any other manager on any other team would be in the hotseat right now.  But LaRussa?  With JR?  I can't see it.  I think the situation is that LaRussa will be able to be the Sox manager for as long as he wants.

Yes, he won't be fired.  The only hope is that he steps down (which isn't happening)

I don't know how much this has been discussed, but one of the biggest problems seems to be TLR's insistence on playing platoon advantages that don't exist and alternating L/R in the order.

Leury was worse vs RHP in 2021 than all of these RH hitters: Robert, Anderson, Jimenez, Abreu, Engel, Burger. He was better than Vaughn but that was Vaughn's rookie year and I don't think anybody expects Vaughn to be worse than Leury vs RHP this year.

There's no platoon advantage with Leury, and most definitely not one that justifies moving him up in the order to break up a string of RH hitters.

Also, with the 3 batter rule for relievers, it's much less important to alternate your LH/RH bats in a lineup.

On top off all of that, while they guys on the team may like Leury, they're probably all very aware that he's not a top of the order bat and that has to be bad for morale to see these lineups.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't know how much this has been discussed, but one of the biggest problems seems to be TLR's insistence on playing platoon advantages that don't exist and alternating L/R in the order.

Leury was worse vs RHP in 2021 than all of these RH hitters: Robert, Anderson, Jimenez, Abreu, Engel, Burger. He was better than Vaughn but that was Vaughn's rookie year and I don't think anybody expects Vaughn to be worse than Leury vs RHP this year.

There's no platoon advantage with Leury, and most definitely not one that justifies moving him up in the order to break up a string of RH hitters.

Also, with the 3 batter rule for relievers, it's much less important to alternate your LH/RH bats in a lineup.

On top off all of that, while they guys on the team may like Leury, they're probably all very aware that he's not a top of the order bat and that has to be bad for morale to see these lineups.

If I know anything about baseball players, it's that they care where they hit in the order. These guys may be pros and not say anything, but I think deep down, they care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I still remember (and still resent) when the Sox fired Jimmy Piersall from the post game show for criticizing LaRussa after a bad loss.  I never liked the Einhorn/Reinsdorf organization.

Yeah, before the Reinhorn reign it was Caray/Piersall, Nancy Faust, Andy the clown, and arriving an hour and a half early to catch batting practice homeruns from both teams.

Now after 40 years of the Reinhorn era we have a sanitized experience with restricted park sections, piped in music, a cutesy mascot, yes men broadcasters, and corny pizza slice race videos on the scoreboard.

Edited by SpringfieldFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, greg775 said:

They are not going to fire LaRussa. No. 1 he's a Hall of Famer and Sox would be mocked big time. Jerry isn't going to embarrass his great friend over 3-4 bad weeks in April. No. 2, cmon. The team has so many injuries it's ridiculous. When a team is this banged up, you basically write off the season and try to get something out of it personnel wise while realizing the team in its injured form has absolutely no chance of winning.

They are already being mocked relentlessly over the last week.  

Winding your way down on 35th Street
Light in your head and dead on your feet
Well, another crazy day
You'll drink the night away
And forget about ev'rything

This baseball team makes you feel so old
It's got so many fans, but you've got no soul
And it's taken you so long
To find out you were wrong
When you thought you knew everything

You used to think that it was so easy
You used to say that it was so easy
But you're dryin', you're dryin' out
Another year and then we'd be happy
Just one more year and then we'd be happy
But you're fired, you're fired now

(sax solo)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, T R U said:

There is no way LaRussa gets fired or steps down because of a 6-12 start, lets be realistic here.

We are all frustrated by the start to the season, but there is a ton of baseball still to play. Best case scenario I guess is the team struggles all year and then LaRussa gets fired or steps down. Theres just no chance that it happens this week even with a Royals sweep.

There may be "a ton of baseball still to play" but, that doesn't mean La Russa's managerial skills will get any better.

If they are going to go old school - go get someone like Scioscia. Who else is out there as a more seasoned guy who you might be able to hire in-season (vs. just going to your bench coach)? Too bad they never hired my guy, Bud Black, whose doing a real nice job early on in Colorado.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:
Winding your way down on 35th Street
Light in your head and dead on your feet
Well, another crazy day
You'll drink the night away
And forget about ev'rything

This baseball team makes you feel so old
It's got so many fans, but you've got no soul
And it's taken you so long
To find out you were wrong
When you thought you knew everything

You used to think that it was so easy
You used to say that it was so easy
But you're dryin', you're dryin' out
Another year and then we'd be happy
Just one more year and then we'd be happy
But you're fired, you're fired now

(sax solo)

I hope they Get It Right Next Time

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they are going to go old school - go get someone like Scioscia. Who else is out there as a more seasoned guy who you might be able to hire in-season (vs. just going to your bench coach)? Too bad they never hired my guy, Bud Black, whose doing a real nice job early on in Colorado.  

that would be swapping out a yellow turd for a brown one if it's scioiscia. I don't see any easy answer here. The team isn't going to fire TLR anytime soon and even if they did there's no good options to replace him.

the sox have made this bed and now they will have to lie in it for awhile. That includes their core of injury prone position players and their manager.

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

I think he is a Sox fan.

Is he really?  I confess that I haven't checked into his past statements on the topic or anything.  He really, really sounds like a Cub fan/Sox skeptic to my ear.

58 minutes ago, JoeC said:

If there's one thing I've learned in my 35+ years on earth, it's that those two aren't mutually exclusive.

Very true.  Hell -- you don't need 35 years on earth to know that's true, you only need 35 minutes on this board.

Bat flip is the last thing that bothers me about that home run.  In fact that doesn't bother me at all and players should do more of that when they walk off their division rival predicted to go to the playoffs 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I just played the Buxton walk off from yesterday, he looked like TA with his bat flip, what a cocky prick

But clearly yesterdays loss is on Tony

I know its early but how many more L's can we afford from piss poor manager??

Bryon Buxton just hit the longest walkoff homer in the modern era.

Bat flip away bro.  You earned it.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Is he really?  I confess that I haven't checked into his past statements on the topic or anything.  He really, really sounds like a Cub fan/Sox skeptic to my ear.

No he is definitely 100% cub fan 

Since someone brought up Haugh and I had no clue what he was doing these days I looked him up and saw he was at the score.  Boy I know that I have not listened to the Score in ages but I was shocked to see that Leila Rahimi is cohosting middays with Dan Bernstein??