TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Net of all of that, the math says that the Sox win 21.9% of the time if they intentionally walk Turner to face Muncy, and 22.9% of the time if they don’t.

So I'm surprised that it's that close, but nonetheless pitching to Turner is still the better option.

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

The 3 best relievers on the roster couldn't pitch today for whatever reason they won't reveal. Bummer hasn't pitched in 4 days, so it's not like he's been overused. 

So we only really had 4 guys available? I mean what the fuck are we doing with roster construction if you have just a few guys available out of the bullpen?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

So we only really had 4 guys available? I mean what the fuck are we doing with roster construction if you have just a few guys available out of the bullpen?

It doesn’t help that our starters rarely pitch more than 5-6 innings. Seems like the relievers are responsible for at least 3 innings every game. Of course, TLR might want to consider occasionally having a reliever pitch more than one inning. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Is this team looking to make the record for retroactive days for IL, or something?

31 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

It doesn’t help that our starters rarely pitch more than 5-6 innings. Seems like the relievers are responsible for at least 3 innings every game. Of course, TLR might want to consider occasionally having a reliever pitch more than one inning. 

This is why I want to innovate and have a setup of 9 or so starters. Have two starters per game pitch. Then go with a setup and closer. I've said before Sox aren't equipped right now for modern baseball. Starters going five will not cut it with this rotten bullpen. Pitch 4-6 bullpen guys a game ... no good. Now have one starter go four, another go four and we might have a fighting chance. I despise modern baseball. Oh for the days a guy could pitch 8 or so.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is why I want to innovate and have a setup of 9 or so starters. Have two starters per game pitch. Then go with a setup and closer. I've said before Sox aren't equipped right now for modern baseball. Starters going five will not cut it with this rotten bullpen. Pitch 4-6 bullpen guys a game ... no good. Now have one starter go four, another go four and we might have a fighting chance. I despise modern baseball. Oh for the days a guy could pitch 8 or so.

Tony literally invented this with Oakland in the 90s

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeC said:

Ugh. This saddens me our fans stooped this low. Why? To chant just that is ridiculous. Sure Tony is having a bad year, but cmon. You don't chant Fire Hahn or Sell the Team Jerry? To boo Tony like that is to imply he's the problem. Really? How bout a pathetic bullpen? How bout a lineup that most of the year has had four to five automatic outs. Whose fault is it Moncada is hitting .130 and before he got hurt today Grandal also is hitting under .200. And Harrison?

It is total classless to chant that. Boos are fine, but singling out Tony IMO is very very dumb and reflects poorly on Sox fans. Did the media ask about it? Sure it's a tough question but if everybody noticed Tony and Jerry must face the music and comment on the fans chanting negative stuff about Tony.

Just my take. Boos are OK (though I don't like them either) but not chants. ... And another thing. When you chant stuff like that and what if the Sox rallied to win? Then you cheer? Really makes a fan look spoiled and dumb. Boooooooo, then what if Sox get a walkoff .... Yay!!!! Stick with your team, folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Ugh. This saddens me our fans stooped this low. Why? To chant just that is ridiculous. Sure Tony is having a bad year, but cmon. You don't chant Fire Hahn or Sell the Team Jerry? To boo Tony like that is to imply he's the problem. Really? How bout a pathetic bullpen? How bout a lineup that most of the year has had four to five automatic outs. Whose fault is it Moncada is hitting .130 and before he got hurt today Grandal also is hitting under .200. And Harrison?

It is total classless to chant that. Boos are fine, but singling out Tony IMO is very very dumb and reflects poorly on Sox fans. Did the media ask about it? Sure it's a tough question but if everybody noticed Tony and Jerry must face the music and comment on the fans chanting negative stuff about Tony.

Just my take. Boos are OK (though I don't like them either) but not chants. ... And another thing. When you chant stuff like that and what if the Sox rallied to win? Then you cheer? Really makes a fan look spoiled and dumb. Boooooooo, then what if Sox get a walkoff .... Yay!!!! Stick with your team, folks.

Paying fans have every right to boo and chant if they want to, it might not be common in baseball but over here in the UK it is quite common in 'soccer'. And the boos are not just a response to this one game, they are the result of massive frustration at an underperforming team, and TLR is the manager. Yes a walk off would have got cheers but it would merely have papered over the cracks.

And your defence of TLR is a bit much because he is the one making things worse by his errors and line ups. Harrison may be rubbish but it is TLR playing him and Garcia virtually every day, and even having Garcia as lead off hitter! He is the one mishandling the BP and intentionally walking a guy on a 1-2 count that has everyone in baseball confused.

• Fire 2

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just a reminder that “fire GarPax” chants picked up steam leading to its coming out party at the NBA ASG in Chicago. It worked and maybe it does here, too. I feel bad for the old guy but Sox fans are easy to please, we sat through some horrible years and here we are. 

To have the team (despite the injuries) at 5-6 games back is a great feat, but that’s not why there chants are coming up. It’s because the game has completely passed him by and he refuses to change and even the amateur fan can make better decisions at this point. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox
  • Like 1

Sorry for the double post. I wasn't certain where to put this. 

Fifty Ways - Tony Version

Hahn said, "It's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To leave your JR
Fifty ways to leave your JR"

Sail down the Crick , Prick
You're kind of a phony, Tony
You don't need to be fake, Jake
Just get yourself free
You're kind of a prick, Rick
You don't need to discuss much
Be gone by dawn, Vaughn
And set ourselves free

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Sorry for the double post. I wasn't certain where to put this. 

Fifty Ways - Tony Version

Hahn said, "It's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To leave your JR
Fifty ways to leave your JR"

Sail down the Crick , Prick
You're kind of a phony, Tony
You don't need to be fake, Jake
Just get yourself free
You're kind of a spaz, Yas
You don't need to discuss much
Be gone by dawn, Vaughn
And set ourselves free

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/apr/11/golf.tigerwoods
Had to beat Balta to it before you were excoriated.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

"Sell the team Jerry" doesn't have a great ring to it but that chant would be awesome!

Sox fans are sick of watching this buffoon give games away in the most maddening ways possible.  We have every right to voice our displeasure and direct it towards one of the two main culprits in one of the few forums it will actually be noticed.  Clutching pearls in defense of this nonsense is damned silly.  Fire Tony chants and the national media excoriating TLR publicly may not sway JR, but every iota of criticism levelled by media and fans is warranted at this point.  The White Sox are the laughingstock of baseball.  They have earned this.  

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

For sale:

One set of Pearls, well clutched.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

1. Saddens you that the fans chanting is ridiculous. They pay a lot money to attend these games. They spend a small fortune on food and drinks to feed Jerry's pocket. - They have every right to voice their displeasure with this despicable and demented loser manager ruining this club.

2. They don't chant "Sell the team Jerry" or Fire Hahn! - I wish they would chant that more often and louder. Maybe if 30K fans chanted "Sell the Team" extremely loud and clear, even though it wouldn't change anything, at least  Jerry and Hahn could see the pain of the fans and how stupid Jerry's decision was to hire TLR.

3. To boo Tony like that is to imply he's the problem. - It's not implying he is a problem... it's a fact he is the problem! You defending him is not only ridiculous, but you're being a total contrarian!   Yes the bullpen sucks, but TLR has repeatedly blown games with his wrong choices of pitchers.

4. How about a lineup that most of the year has four to five automatic outs. - News Flash!...TLR hired this pathetic hitting coach Menechino who has this team hitting worse than when Renteria managed the club. Note - I wanted Renteria gone as much as anyone, but he looks like a genius compared to our bumbling manager.  Agreed TLR inherited this group of players underperforming and Rick Hahn definitely has to take major blame for that. The bottom line is, when a team struggles that had high expectations, managers have to take the blame and be unfortunately fired. Hence why Girardi from the Phillies and Maddon from the Angels were fired in the last two weeks. 

5. Singling out Tony IMO is very dumb and reflects poorly on Sox fans -  You get my vote for one of the top contrarians of the year on SoxTalk with ridiculous statements like that.

6. Really makes a fan look spoiled and dumb. - That is such bullshit! Our Sox fans are dedicated, loyal and smart fans. Maybe the die-hard Sox fans are finally tired of this unacceptable and pathetic manager and voicing their displeasure.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Yes a walk off would have got cheers but it would merely have papered over the cracks.

For me ... it's dumb to chant "Fire Tony" and act all hot and bothered when the Sox could have rallied to win and everybody would rock the place with cheers. Sure the fans pay their money and can do what they want to a certain extent but cmon. Do we have to be like the fans in Major League? Hawk supports Tony BTW.