GT: Sox @ Tigers (Giolito v Rodriguez) 12:10 CT NBCSN

bmags

44 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Signs of things to come. Don’t think this team is nearly as good as they believe and other teams in this weak ass division aren’t nearly as bad. 

Wow after one game!!!!!   

The Bummer hate is totally unfounded. The pitch he made to Baez was pretty solid. Painted the shadow of the zone low and away. Baez made relatively weak contact.  You throw those same 5 pitches every time and 99% of his ABs will be just fine.

image.png

Grossman AB was a slider low, out of the zone. It had 50in of vertical break which is about as much as you can get on a slider and 18 of horizontal break.  That was a really solid slider that again resulted in weak contact. Throw that pitch 100 times and you'll only have a handful on successful contact events. 

image.png

He made two solid pitches and the hitters just managed to get enough bat to find a hole. It happens, keep making those pitches and he'll be fine.

image.png

Edited by mac9001

7 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

The Bummer hate is totally unfounded. The pitch he made to Baez was pretty solid. Painted the shadow of the zone low and away. Baez made relatively weak contact.  You throw those same 5 pitches every time and 99% of his ABs will be just fine.

image.png

Grossman AB was a slider low, out of the zone. It had 50in of vertical break which is about as much as you can get on a slider and 18 of horizontal break.  That was a really solid slider that again resulted in weak contact. Throw that pitch 100 times and you'll only have a handful on successful contact events. 

image.png

He made two solid pitches and the hitters just managed to get enough bat to find a hole. It happens, keep making those pitches and he'll be fine.

image.png

So literally the same stuff as last year?

Couldn’t have scripted a worst day. Gio injured, bullpen trash 8th inning on, poor fielding in RF, and the dynamic duo at the bottom (Leury/Harrison) played just as expected. Oh and Baez just had to be the one to walk it off. 

Edited by ShoeLessRob

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

But just remember if you think outfield defense is a problem, especially in right, you're not a Sox fan.

I keep watching that play and shaking my head....that truly was a pretty awful effort there by a veteran OF....didn't play the wall well at all.  It also looked like Hendriks thought he gave up a walk off homer there....not a homer but still a walk off.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

So literally the same stuff as last year?

Just bad luck, solid pitches that statically have very high probabilities of being outs/whiffs. Yet both of them had solid contact with low launch angles which means when they left the bat they were likely to be hits even tough the exit velocity were weak. 

That slider was literarily the last pitch you want to swing at as a hitter. If if had to guess the hit outcome on a pitch like that has to be less than 5%.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

At least we only had one injury today...jeez

Maybe ptatc can get me to stop being a broken record as he is a medical guru IMO. But all these Sox injuries grow very tiresome as a fan. Also Timmy's suspension is unfortunate. I think we win if he's in there on Opening Day. A few more hits mighta mattered. Ah, I'm venting. Sorry. 0-1.

Pollack should have made that catch in right, but the relief pitching didn’t do their job today. This is one game they should have won and I’ll move to the next one, but it is possible this division doesn’t suck as much it did last year. Better hope Giolito doesn’t miss a lot of time or they will be out yet another starting pitcher.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

I keep watching that play and shaking my head....that truly was a pretty awful effort there by a veteran OF....didn't play the wall well at all.  It also looked like Hendriks thought he gave up a walk off homer there....not a homer but still a walk off.

Baez hit the ball hard (103.7 EV) on a line. That's a hit 75% of the time, the fact the Pollock even had a chance was relatively lucky. Liam made a bad pitch, left a straight fastball up over the plate and Baez made solid contact. The last 3 hits against Liam were all 103.7-104.5 EV, that's 3 really hard hit balls. You're not going to have a lot of success getting hit that hard.

• Like 1

That’s the problem with having a short season the year before last year. Players got injured last year and than it just worse during the work stoppage when the training facilities were closed and some of Spring Training was cancelled. Players weren’t allowed at the training facilities on time to ramp up for the season. Now we’re going to see the effects of that. 

Edited by maloney.adam