GAMETHREAD 4/10/22: Sox vs Tigers (Kopech vs Skubal) 12:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

• bmags pinned this topic

There a reason Kopech isn’t getting the home opener? There is at least something to consider when greeting your fans for the first home game of the season….why not Kopech instead of Vince Velazquez? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony said:

There a reason Kopech isn’t getting the home opener? There is at least something to consider when greeting your fans for the first home game of the season….why not Kopech instead of Vince Velazquez? 

Two reasons.  First, today is a divisional game and Tuesday is not.  Second, because Kopech will probably go three or four innings, which means we’re going to need to use the shit out of the bullpen today.  Easier to burn through the entire bullpen with an off-day the next day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Two reasons.  First, today is a divisional game and Tuesday is not.  Second, because Kopech will probably go three or four innings, which means we’re going to need to use the shit out of the bullpen today.  Easier to burn through the entire bullpen with an off-day the next day.

Fair enough 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

Off topic, but wondering when Gio goes on the IL?

They don't really need his roster spot until the next time his spot comes up in the rotation, so they have a couple days to decide who they want to bring up. No matter when they do it, it will be retroactive to yesterday.

• Thanks 1

In a perfect world today, here’s how the pitching would shakeout:

• Kopech = 1st to 4th
  • Banks = 5th
  • Ruiz = 6th
  • Crick = 7th
  • Graveman = 8th
  • Hendriks = 9th

If Kopech only goes three, then Banks goes two.  Regardless, I can’t wait for Kopech to be able to go five or six cause the front end of the bullpen is questionable AF right now.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I thought they may DH Grandal, glad they are keeping Vaughn in.

Better lineup than I expected, was worried it’d be Engel in Cf and Leury in RF

I was expecting Vaughn at 3B and Grandal at DH tbh. 

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ozzie Guillen’s Sunday Special Line-Up

JFC…I hate these “let’s give everyone a start in the first series” type lineups.  Grandal has a 152 wRC+ against LHP the past three seasons whereas McGuire has been terrible against lefties (15 wRC+) and pretty solid against righties (102 wRC+).  Maybe just wait until next series to get him a start to better optimize the lineup each game?

And then you have Burger on the bench despite destroying LHP in AAA last year (1.035 OPS).  Realistically he should be at 3B every time we face a southpaw, but if you feel compelled to play Harrison today why not do so at 2B?  Mendick has reverse spits (55 wRC+ vs LHP in his short career) and really has no business getting playing time with Tim now back and Leury actually being slightly above league average against LHP.

I know this will trigger some people here, but I truly believe Tony doesn’t understand how platooning / splits work and it’s extremely frustrating as he’s leaving a lot of value on the table.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Because Tony is old fashioned and pitching his starters in order.