Interim 5th Starter?

Chicago White Sox

So obviously we know four of our starters in the near term while Giolito is out (Cease, Kopech, Velesquez, & Keuchel), but who is going to be the 5th guy!  Given it will take a few weeks for Cueto to be ready, I think we all assumed Lopez would get the job.  However, it sounds like he’ll be in a bullpen role for the rest of the month and that they have someone else in mind for the 5th spot.

Any idea who that might be?  As crazy as it seems, Banks seems like the most likely guy.

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Do they actually need a 5th starter yet?

I know this year's schedule is a bit tighter than usual, but most years you don't need a 5th starter until the ~2nd/3rd week of the season.

Tony seems to be going with one despite the off day tomorrow

Edited by Chicago White Sox

So sounds like Tony considered skipping the 5th starter’s spot, but wants to give the guys an extra day of rest.  As such, it seems like it has to be one of Banks, McClure, or Bilous as all three pitched today and should be good to go on Thursday.

• Banks: 2 IP, 0 R, 4 K, 2 BB, 0 H
  • McClure: 5 IP, 4 R, 0 ER, 3 K, 1 BB, 7 H, 2 HR
  • Bilous: 4 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 K, 3 BB, 2 H

Banks definitely seems like the favorite, although he’ll greatly limited innings wise.  Really seems like we should replace Mendick with an arm who can multiple innings as the next couple days could get real ugly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Somebody made an error before the home run that would have ended the inning. 

If a runner is called out on interference etc., thus ending an inning, on the play that a HR is hit, does the HR count? Two homers not counting in a game would be highly unlikely. Do the homers count or not?  If they don't count - they are not HR.

Edited by FoxForce2

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Somebody made an error before the home run that would have ended the inning. 

That made me think of the very rare circumstance when a run can be earned for a pitcher but unearned for a team:

2 outs, nobody on

Pitcher A allows a runner via error

Pitcher B relieves pitcher A and allows a home run to the first batter.

The runner on base is unearned for both the team and Pitcher A

The batter who homered is unearned for the team but earned for Pitcher B.

The reason: a batter you allow to score can't be unearned because of an error that occurred before you were pitching.

1 minute ago, FoxForce2 said:

If a runner is called out on interference etc., thus ending an inning, on the play that a HR is hit, does the HR count? Two homers not counting in a game would be highly unlikely. Do the homers count or not?  If they don't count - they are not HR.

It's not a home run if the batter doesn't score for whatever reason.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Do they actually need a 5th starter yet?

I know this year's schedule is a bit tighter than usual, but most years you don't need a 5th starter until the ~2nd/3rd week of the season.

They don't but will use one just to limit Kopech early 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How long does cueto even need? Get him up here.

It depends on what we want out of him. Stone was talking about how 6 weeks of spring training really is necessary to get pitchers up to speed. If we want him to be 100% and more durable over the course of the year then we give him that full 6 weeks. I haven’t seen reports on how much preparation he had already done before signing though so his six weeks could be very soon or a full six from near opening day.

Just now, MackowiakYakYak said:

It depends on what we want out of him. Stone was talking about how 6 weeks of spring training really is necessary to get pitchers up to speed. If we want him to be 100% and more durable over the course of the year then we give him that full 6 weeks. I haven’t seen reports on how much preparation he had already done before signing though so his six weeks could be very soon or a full six from near opening day.

frankly I'd prefer to just get him up here quickly and if he burns out in July deal with that then.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Track record be damned, I think VV has more upside as a starter than Keuchel. I think DK is cooked, Shields style. 

I think it’s true he won’t be good this year but I hold out hope because he’s a low velocity, feel pitcher. I haven’t seen anyone show he’s lost velocity or the stuff on his pitches. His biggest issue last year was that he couldn’t locate anything the way he did in years prior. I wouldn’t want to say he’s cooked like Shields when he’s not a pitcher relying on pure stuff.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How long does cueto even need? Get him up here.

Negative six years, bringing him back to the beginning of the 2016 season.

Kidding, sort of...I don't hate the signing based on what was available by the time the signing was made.