All Injuries - One Link

Texsox

On 4/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, BigHurt3515 said:

Has only played once in a week, they should have just put him on the IL and brought up Romy

Mendick has an OPS of 1.089 the last 7 days. He's filled in just fine. He's making a case to stay up instead of Burger when Moncada is back.

Does everybody think that the universal increase in guys on the IL is going to be a thing going forward or is it more due to three abnormal seasons due to COVID/lockout?

The reason I ask is that going forward, it might be worth discussing increasing the 40-man roster to 41 or 42. Some teams literally don't have live bodies to bring up, especially since some 40 spots go to guys that are nowhere near ready for MLB but had to be protected from Rule 5.

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Does everybody think that the universal increase in guys on the IL is going to be a thing going forward or is it more due to three abnormal seasons due to COVID/lockout?

The reason I ask is that going forward, it might be worth discussing increasing the 40-man roster to 41 or 42. Some teams literally don't have live bodies to bring up, especially since some 40 spots go to guys that are nowhere near ready for MLB but had to be protected from Rule 5.

The last three years are just begging for disaster when it comes to the health of players, and I think if we get back to "normal" years, we should see those effects fade away as a larger trend.

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I think guys were still dealing with the after effects of very abnormal 2020 last season, and the post lockout ramp up just compounded the issues.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The last three years are just begging for disaster when it comes to the health of players, and I think if we get back to "normal" years, we should see those effects fade away as a larger trend.

I think the off season training programs is a variable as well. The increased power type training Ala Kopech is becoming the norm and I don't think the subsequent decreased flexibility is being addressed. Baseball is one sports that has very quick full range motions that add a unique stress to tissues.

As with anything player unique body types and genetics allow some to tolerate better than others. However overall I think it could be an issue.