Early Thoughts

Ozzieguy13

I'm a little worried about Jose and Eloy. If both those guys are 750 OPS hitters this year you're looking at a 4-5 WAR dropoff and that's enough to bring the division into play around 88 games instead of 92 win wise. I know it's cold and spring was abbreviated but Jose's bat has been slowing for years and Eloy's ability to be more than a guess hitter remains firmly in doubt.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm a little worried about Jose and Eloy. If both those guys are 750 OPS hitters this year you're looking at a 4-5 WAR dropoff and that's enough to bring the division into play around 88 games instead of 92 win wise. I know it's cold and spring was abbreviated but Jose's bat has been slowing for years and Eloy's ability to be more than a guess hitter remains firmly in doubt.

Jose has been hitting the ball hard and been a bit unlucky. Has had some good ABs too. I am not seeing anything to be worried about with him. Eloy on the other hand looks awful. 

12 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

The core 2-5 hitters, Robert, Abreu, Grandal and Jimenez are hitting a lusty .198 combined. It's surprising the Sox are 6-3 with these players doing so poorly offensively.

Not really.  The ball is dead right now, and it is holding offense down for offenses in general in Chicago, and not just the Sox.  This team has yet to play a warm weather game, and the offense is reflecting that.  The showed a stat over the weekend that the Sox have lost something like 4 homers in their first 8 games due to the cold conditions.

29 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Jose has been hitting the ball hard and been a bit unlucky. Has had some good ABs too. I am not seeing anything to be worried about with him. Eloy on the other hand looks awful. 

Jose has had some bad luck. Good to see him at least hitting some balls hard. I always just worry one year he's going to completely fall off into a 240/300/440 guy.

Sox hitters are 1st in xWOBA, and only 21st in wOBA. (.295 vs .383)

Sox pitchers are 12th in xWOBA and 6th in wOBA. (.328 vs .291)

We've gotten a little lucky on the pitching side, but its been surprisingly serviceable. Meanwhile we have been tremendously unlucky on offense. Still good enough to win all three series. Very promising start.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Has there been something they should have challenged? I can't think of anything.

Leury being in the lineup on a daily basis?

White Sox have the best record in the AL but would be tied for third in the NL West behind the Rockies (what?) and the Dodgers…with the Giants and Padres.

Mets are off to a strong start…especially considering no deGrom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry McNertney said:

One of my early thoughts is why does Grandal make $18.25M?

MLB Network ranks him as the #1 catcher in the AL -- both for this season and last year  https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-network-top-10-at-each-position-in-2022

1. J.T. Realmuto, PHI (Last year: 1)
2. Yasmani Grandal, CWS (2)
3. Will Smith, LAD (3)
4. Willson Contreras, CHC (4)
5. Salvador Perez, KC (7)
6. Mitch Garver, TEX (9)
7. Sean Murphy, OAK (5)
8. Jacob Stallings, MIA (Not ranked)
9. Mike Zunino, TB (NR)
10. Carson Kelly, ARI (NR)