ROSTER CRUNCH: who goes and who stays

gogosox1959

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cueto threw only 60 some pitches on Fri and TLR said he needs 1-2 more starts. While I would have pitched him more Fri and made the change next start, I don’t think we’ll be so lucky. 

60-70 pitches from an unstretched Cueto can certainly be no worse than 85 pitches from a fully stretched Dallas Keuchel.  

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

My final guess for the two guys going down today is Severino and Mendick. I think Sousa and Burr go when Moncada and Kelly return.

I think #1 is 100% Severino.  The next one is tougher, but it almost has to be Mendick.

Can't lose Burger yet until Yoan is back.  Sheets is the only real lefty thump we have  on the bench, and he has hit decent so far this year.

You could go with a reliever, but Burr just got here, and you are already sending down a left in Severino.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think #1 is 100% Severino.  The next one is tougher, but it almost has to be Mendick.

Can't lose Burger yet until Yoan is back.  Sheets is the only real lefty thump we have  on the bench, and he has hit decent so far this year.

You could go with a reliever, but Burr just got here, and you are already sending down a left in Severino.

There are only 12 position players on the roster now that Mendick has gone down. If you send Sheets or Burger down when Moncada comes back, Sheets/Burger has to come back up by the end of May when the 13/13 rule goes back into effect. Maybe that buys you a few weeks while you figure out whether to send down Burr, DFA Keuchel, or something else.

Probably too risky with Pollack‘s injury history…but does anyone think Engel has any trade value? He definitely has value to us as a late game def sub and pinch runner, would just be curious to see if any team would be willing to give up a half decent arm for Engel. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How long until Robinson Cano is on the White Sox?  

With Harrison over there, it is an interesting thought if we are talking about minimum wage.  A lefty power bat too.  The question isn't, is he prime Robinson Cano, the question is, will be be better than Josh Harrison.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How long until Robinson Cano is on the White Sox?  

That was my first thought when I saw he was DFA

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With Harrison over there, it is an interesting thought if we are talking about minimum wage.  A lefty power bat too.  The question isn't, is he prime Robinson Cano, the question is, will be be better than Josh Harrison.

The actual question is, will he be better than Leury and the answer is an easy YES

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Would be pro-rated minimum assuming he clears waivers and gets released.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would be pro-rated minimum assuming he clears waivers and gets released.  

In theory, the Sox at this point COULD swing a trade and pick up some percentage of his salary in exchange for more of less of a return for the Mets.

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Keuchel and Harrison for Cano and $21 million.

Cano is owed $24M this year AND next (Seattle pays $3.75M annually).  The Sox won't be picking up $27M of Cano's tab.  Just wait til he's released and get him for the pro-rated min if you actually want him.