Are you in favor of Moncada to 2B?

ron883

Are you in favor of Moncada to 2B?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of Moncada to 2B?

• Yes, move Yoan to 2B and start Burger at 3B
    • No, keep Yoan at 3B

23 minutes ago, priznr said:

burger should strictly be trade material.  i hope for his continued success at third then trade for that good starter we really need.

Moncada might be out for awhile. Burger looks workable into May and possibly til the deadline. Burger + somebody might bring a decent #4=#5 starter, but pitching will be at a premium then.
An interesting case would be for Burger to really shine in a month+ long stretch and some team taking an interest in Moncada - contract and all. The FO not likely to seriously consider anything short of a *very* good offer, but seeing that much of what we (as fans), are thinking about Burger is spitballing, it's worth a minute of consideration over morning coffee.

Edited by FoxForce2

Barring injuries to all of Harrison, Garcia, and Romy, neither Moncada nor Burger is moving to 2B this season.

Not if there's one Soxtalk thread about it.

Not if there are five Soxtalk threads about it.

Not if there are fifty Soxtalk threads about it.

Maybe if we get to 51 threads about it, then the Sox will consider it.

• Like 2

I'd be ok with using Moncada or TA at 2B on occasion, depending on matchups and opponents. I dont think that using Moncada at 2B is downgrading defense as much as some believe.

Plenty of orgs are comfortable moving players around, giving them the advantage of depth through versatility.

But with Burger, he's been injured pretty much every season he's been a professional. And though he's improved in this area, his conditioning should continue to be a concern, until he proves otherwise.

• Like 1

Its not a question really about whether or not Burger needs to play almost every day (just like Vaughn).  They are way better with the bat than Leury, Sheets, Harrison, McGuire, even Moncada.  

The question is about fielding and throwing and Burger has shown he van do it well at 3B.  

The real debate is about which combo would be better in both aspects 

1: Burger (3B), Moncada (2B)

2: Moncada (3B), Burger (2B)

3: Moncada (3B), Harrison/Leury (2B)

1 is clearly the best for the team both for the bats and in the field.  

2 is ok but Burger is probably worse at 2B than Moncada

3 is horrific and would kill the offense and be bad for fielding when Leury is in there 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Its not a question really about whether or not Burger needs to play almost every day (just like Vaughn).  They are way better with the bat than Leury, Sheets, Harrison, McGuire, even Moncada.  

The question is about fielding and throwing and Burger has shown he van do it well at 3B.  

The real debate is about which combo would be better in both aspects 

1: Burger (3B), Moncada (2B)

2: Moncada (3B), Burger (2B)

3: Moncada (3B), Harrison/Leury (2B)

1 is clearly the best for the team both for the bats and in the field.  

2 is ok but Burger is probably worse at 2B than Moncada

3 is horrific and would kill the offense and be bad for fielding when Leury is in there 

Having one of Leury/Harrison playing doesn’t kill this offense. 

Moncada is a much better 3B than 2B, and he's a much better 3B than Burger is.  I like Burger, and he's doing great things right now.  But he doesn't have a spot at 3B unless Moncada is hurt.  I firmly believe he will be trade material.

This past offseason, had you suggested moving Yoan to 2B (due to the available 3B vs the available 2B) you were eviscerated on this board. 

Now, due to Burger posting a .833 OPS over 20 plate appearances, things have changed?  Even though Moncada hasn't played a single game?  The same Burger people were willing to throw into any hypothetical offseason trade?  

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

This past offseason, had you suggested moving Yoan to 2B (due to the available 3B vs the available 2B) you were eviscerated on this board. 

Now, due to Burger posting a .833 OPS over 20 plate appearances, things have changed?  Even though Moncada hasn't played a single game?  The same Burger people were willing to throw into any hypothetical offseason trade?  

Back-up QB syndrome…

On 4/17/2022 at 10:35 AM, FoxForce2 said:

Moncada might be out for awhile. Burger looks workable into May and possibly til the deadline. Burger + somebody might bring a decent #4=#5 starter, but pitching will be at a premium then.
An interesting case would be for Burger to really shine in a month+ long stretch and some team taking an interest in Moncada - contract and all. The FO not likely to seriously consider anything short of a *very* good offer, but seeing that much of what we (as fans), are thinking about Burger is spitballing, it's worth a minute of consideration over morning coffee.

If Burger shines as you suggest...consider trading Moncada for a "big" package.  Too many good players is never a problem.

I love how 2B has turned into a "throw any schmuck with a bat out there" position on this board.

Yes - Burger has had a great 20 at bats.

Yes - Moncada came up as a 2Bman.

Does that mean that either of them can actually consistently play 2B at the big league level?
Does that mean that either of them can actually provide adequate defense at 2B at the big league level?

Burger is a stopgap at 3B for the year, and a nice luxury bat off the bench. He's also a nice piece to trade and/or option with which to backfill a corner infield spot (3B) in the event a trade is required.

Hell - I'd rather see Burger thrown into the rotation than at 2B. At least we wouldn't be disappointed with the inevitably bad results.

43 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I love how 2B has turned into a "throw any schmuck with a bat out there" position on this board.

Yes - Burger has had a great 20 at bats.

Yes - Moncada came up as a 2Bman.

Does that mean that either of them can actually consistently play 2B at the big league level?
Does that mean that either of them can actually provide adequate defense at 2B at the big league level?

Burger is a stopgap at 3B for the year, and a nice luxury bat off the bench. He's also a nice piece to trade and/or option with which to backfill a corner infield spot (3B) in the event a trade is required.

Hell - I'd rather see Burger thrown into the rotation than at 2B. At least we wouldn't be disappointed with the inevitably bad results.

On this board? “throw any schmuck with a bat out there” seems to literally have been the roster plan for the organization last offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

On this board? “throw any schmuck with a bat out there” seems to literally have been the roster plan for the organization last offseason.

For 2B? I would disagree vehemently there.
At least the 2B candidates that have been in play have had some sort of middle infield experience and track record at various professional levels up through the big leagues.
Do they have big league bats? By the most generous of definitions, "arguably."
Do they have big league gloves? Yes.

Say what you will about the boundless void that is our 2B position, but at least (for the most part) they haven't COMPLETELY sacrificed middle infield defense yet, and it appeared that the front office did not have any realistic plan to do so either.

I know Moncada hasn't been the player most of us want him to be (and once his salary increases this will be much worse) but some of the hate for him is crazy at this point.  Burger has had 20 solid PA's this season and we're talking about giving up on Moncada and saying he is "so much worse" offensively.  I'm frustrated with his progress as well but let's pump the brakes a bit.  

41 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

I know Moncada hasn't been the player most of us want him to be (and once his salary increases this will be much worse) but some of the hate for him is crazy at this point.  

And there it is. The all-purpose phrase that comes up in most threads.

Where do you see, "hate for Moncada?" Specifically, WHO on these boards, in your view, "hates Moncada?"

I gotta admit, I don't see anyone who "hates Moncada," but that phrase gets thrown around here like a cheap $5 whore.

My view is that more versatility is more better for this roster. If Kris Bryant, AFTER his ROY and AFTER his MVP awards can play all over the field, why not try it with Moncada as well? [Protip: this AIN'T "hate," BTW.]

This org's view seems to be, "derrr, one man for one position. We'd rather use unathletic mastadons in the corner OF positions, than try an athetic guy out there. Besides, we got LEURY for versatility!"

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I gotta admit, I don't see anyone who "hates Moncada," but that phrase gets thrown around here like a cheap $5 whore.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, Polar Bear said:

If Moncada is in the lineup as well it makes the offense so much worse 

Should have clarified what specifically I was referring to here.  I don't think discussions positional versatility are bad at all, though I would like to see Burger have sustained success beyond 60 career PA's before we start talking about moving people around the diamond.

Edited by Spumoni