Ballpark prices

Dick Allen

14 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The bag policy has ruined that a bit.   Back when you were allowed to carry in a tote or backpack, it was a no-brainer to pack a few bottles and even a bag of peanuts for the game.  Now with basically having to hand carry everything thru the gate, it's too much of a hassle.   Just too much happening at the gate, like going thru TSA.   

I was just going to say this. Especially with kids it has made it a lot more difficult, and the other side of that is I liked going as a kid and eating hot dogs and ice cream and not eating a warm ham sandwich and warm water. 

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You might not like the name, but he has a fair point.  It's not like prices were cheap and just exploded after the lock out.  Prices have been going up forever, and would have even if the poor destitute owners got every ridiculous demand they made.

I think it's a fair point to say when costs go up...prices go up.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You might not like the name, but he has a fair point.  It's not like prices were cheap and just exploded after the lock out.  Prices have been going up forever, and would have even if the poor destitute owners got every ridiculous demand they made.

This is the whole point about my post. It seemed to me people weren't stacking empty beer cups, or leaving every inning to go buy another food item. At some point, and it hit that point with me a few years ago, the price of this stuff has to matter. I remember thinking years ago, how would they ever justify a $10 beer. Now that would be a deal. But most of us have a breaking point where we just say, no way. They can price it wherever they want. I don't even know if the White Sox have a lot of say in it. But they need to be careful, or they will be throwing a lot of food out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was just going to say this. Especially with kids it has made it a lot more difficult, and the other side of that is I liked going as a kid and eating hot dogs and ice cream and not eating a warm ham sandwich and warm water. 

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I typically don't complain about the "cost of going to a game" topic because this is what entertainment is.  

But seeing the Sox charging $7-8 for a bottle of water is insane.   There should be outrage for this.  

I don't care if you charge $15 for a beer, but charging what they charge for a bottle of water or even Soda which they pay nickels for is gouging to the extreme. 

I've had season tickets since 2004 and really considering making this the last one.

I did try to bring in a sack bag (I had my hoodie in it) on Opening Day but they wouldn't let me. Now, I was pretty buzzed but I'm pretty sure the guy said that it was because of the size. Like it would have been allowed if it was smaller. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, does anyone know what sized bag you are able to bring in?

The other thing is, everything is cashless, so even at the stands the credit card reader is asking for a tip done by percentage, so you are paying more of a tip, and tipping everyone for anything. 

Maybe for $12.25 a Miller Lite, they can pay their workers a reasonable wage to do their job. And that isn't the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet, we have been at record revenues and franchise valuations, so why haven't prices stagnated or even gone down?

Owners of businesses are trying to increase profits every year.  If lowering the prices would create more profit they would do it.  Maybe lowering prices by 20% would increase sales enough to make them even more profitable.  Doesn't seem to be the way baseball teams or most businesses operate.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Funny that the owners won their expanded post season, the real money maker, and still saw fit to raise concessions prices.  It is almost as if those of us who called them greedy were in fact right?  Hmmm...

As if any of us wouldn't charge as much as people would be willing to spend if we had a business. The issue is that its worth it to enough people to spend that kind of money on those concessions. Our modern day culture absolutely craves entertainment so it will pay the premium for it and sets the price for everyone. I just don't see how a vendor would be satisfied to sell out their product for less than most are willing to pay, and I really don't see how for those that, for example, only "kind of" like Italian beef, can be charged less for it that those who really love it.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“Elysian Park Grill: The staple hot dog choice for all Dodgers fans to enjoy. Fans typically invest in the $33 all you can eat food options in right field plaza to have unlimited Dodger Dogs, Vegan Hot Dogs, Going Yard Dodger Sausages, cracker jacks, and more. You can also find Elysian Park Grill on the loge level at the stadium.

According to mlb.com/dodgers, fans can bring outside food into Dodger Stadium during a game. All outside food must be put into a clear plastic bag that is smaller than 12″X12″X6″. You can read more about the outside food rules in that link from MLB.com.”

Generally, parking at the on-site Guaranteed Rate Field lots costs $20, but special event parking rates can range from $25 – $30. Sunday parking passes could also be available for $10. White Sox Day-of-Game parking and pre-paid parking pass for the 2021 season cost $25.

Dodger Stadium Parking Rates. Baba General Parking: $17 in advance and $25 at the gate. Oversized vehicles including limos and RVs are $40 in advance and $50 at the gate. General parking includes Lots 1-15 . Off-Site Parking: Lots 13 and 14 in red above cost just $5 at the gate

Shocking.  The Dodgers have had the highest MLB payroll for a number of years but charge less than the White Sox for most things inside the ballpark.  

the dodgers get 300 million a year from their tv network according to bruce levine. So I think they are starting there and not with the cost of parking. 

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Owners of businesses are trying to increase profits every year.  If lowering the prices would create more profit they would do it.  Maybe lowering prices by 20% would increase sales enough to make them even more profitable.  Doesn't seem to be the way baseball teams or most businesses operate.

NOW you get it.  It has nothing to do with costs, but profits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Man make up your mind, either the owners were always gonna raise the prices and this fucking sucks, or the owners raised the prices because of the new CBA.  You can't argue both sides here because you are still mad that most people argued the opposite of you over the off-season CBA discussions.  Not to mention that your initial assertion of "the raised prices being the fault of the CBA" is wrong 

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I typically don't complain about the "cost of going to a game" topic because this is what entertainment is.  

But seeing the Sox charging $7-8 for a bottle of water is insane.   There should be outrage for this.  

I don't care if you charge $15 for a beer, but charging what they charge for a bottle of water or even Soda which they pay nickels for is gouging to the extreme. 

I've had season tickets since 2004 and really considering making this the last one.

Went to a day game last August, lower section 3B side. Absolutely roasting in the sun. Family of four and we spent over $100 on bottled water that day, outrageous.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I would say resorting to name-calling is a sign of ignorance.  You are an admin and resort to this crap...shame on you.

Food, for one, is outsourced to third party vendors in many cases. Those vendors are contracted and help dictate pricing; although some of those contracts will have clauses on price limits and ranges as there is a split on that revenue distribution. 

Beer is a different story.

Also, you're just speaking nonsense for a few reasons. 1; prices haven't scaled in relation to costs at all, they've exceeded the cost growth of doing business - they've also likely increased the contract growth over the duration of the 10 year deals or so they cut with partners. 2; Additionally, revenues have outpaced costs in baseball for over a decade now. meaning prices don't need to go up substantially. 3; I know the Guaranteed Rate contract was out for bid 2 or so years ago, so this is likely a new deal that is correlating to higher costs based on high revenue projections; in other words, an early money grab by both the Sox and the vendor to retain as much revenue from the team being good as they can before any projected downturn. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

The family and I (and some friends) go to one game a year.  For that one day, I don't worry about buying a couple beers and getting something to eat.  I know it's expensive, and I plan accordingly.  We still bring in water and some snacks.  If I end up going to another game or two with just the wife or one of the kids or with a friend, I might get a beer.  That's about it.

It's crazy expensive to go to a game.  The price of the ticket is the least of the cost, especially if you're sitting in the 500 level.  Even going to a minor league or independent baseball game is expensive if you want to eat and drink a few adult beverages.  It's nuts to see the park filled on TV and realize that the majority of the fans are buying food, water, pop, beer, etc.  I know there are a lot of costs for the team, but they have to be making huge profits on concessions.

It really sucks that prices are what they are today.  And of course it hurts the kids the most.  Adults will continue going to games because (1) they can more easily afford paying for just themselves, (2) they have fun tailgating and/or don't mind sticking to water during the game, and (3) the game itself is the focal point of the experience.  For families with kids, it's totally different.  A huge part of the experience for kids is eating hot dogs, drinking soda, having ice cream, picking something out in one of the gift shops, and the sights and sounds of the ballpark.  The game is secondary to them.  The increase in prices just means fewer families can afford to go and those who can will go less.

• Like 2

Totally expected. With inflation running closer to 20% annually for many food items (much higher than the 7-8% CPI index) there's almost zero chance of a big conglomerate like the food service companies (including whoever serves most the food at G-Rate) not passing that onto the consumer.

Personally I've always tried to get a few beers in me outside the park. Last good deal I found was a $3.50 20 oz Bud at Camden and that was 10 years ago now.  Beers at Safeco (T-Mobile) are $12 and up.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I don't know how many times I'm going to post this and you're going to ignore it, but let's do it again:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super-bowl/2019/01/22/super-bowl-low-concession-prices/2644846002/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-25/atlanta-falcons-broke-the-rules-of-stadium-food-and-it-paid-off

They still have those prices: https://www.mbsfb.com/

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Totally expected. With inflation running closer to 20% annually for many food items (much higher than the 7-8% CPI index) there's almost zero chance of a big conglomerate like the food service companies (including whoever serves most the food at G-Rate) passing that onto the consumer.

Personally I've always tried to get a few beers in me outside the park. Last good deal I found was a $3.50 20 oz Bud at Camden and that was 10 years ago now.  Beers at Safeco (T-Mobile) are $12 and up.

Yeah it's not as if the price increases are unique to MLB stadiums. There are price increases everywhere and affecting all businesses. It sucks. America is not what it used to be.

• Like 1