How Concerned Should We Be?

Chicago White Sox

I appreciate the optimism from some here but the problem is this has been a monumentally bad stretch of baseball, losing mostly to teams in their own division who aren't supposed to be any good.  

Of course the Sox can still win the division but the pessimism is warranted, especially with how bad the offense and defense has looked.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wegner said:

I appreciate the optimism from some here but the problem is this has been a monumentally bad stretch of baseball, losing mostly to teams in their own division who aren't supposed to be any good.  

Of course the Sox can still win the division but the pessimism is warranted, especially with how bad the offense and defense has looked.

Yes, but losing to teams that aren’t any good is understandable when your #1 and #2 pitcher are out and or on pitch counts, and 3-4 of your starting 9 are out with injuries during that stretch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I am losing faith by the day.  They are extremely lucky to be in the division that they are in.  If there is any bright spot to me is the pitching has generally been pretty good especially without Lynn and Giolito until recently.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yes, but losing to teams that aren’t any good is understandable when your #1 and #2 pitcher are out and or on pitch counts, and 3-4 of your starting 9 are out with injuries during that stretch. 

Good teams have depth and win those games!

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Lots of people owe @Jack Parkman an apology for ripping him when he said the Sox may not win the division. I don't think they win it anymore. 

I didn't think they would be this bad. I just thought that the rest of the team was going to be better. I saw them in the 85-89 win range, and I thought that another ALC team would take steps forward to nip them. 

I did warn everyone about the offense though. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I didn't think they would be this bad. I just thought that the rest of the team was going to be better. I saw them in the 85-89 win range, and I thought that another ALC team would take steps forward to nip them. 

I did warn everyone about the offense though. 

I they this continues and they'll have to retool. Do you really keep Giolito and Lynn if you know they won't make the playoffs? Jerry would probably want the budget slashed. 

Just now, ron883 said:

I they this continues and they'll have to retool. Do you really keep Giolito and Lynn if you know they won't make the playoffs? Jerry would probably want the budget slashed. 

A retooling is needed at this point. With Cease being a Boras guy I think you move on from him now, try to get some big time prospects. 

I honestly don't know what to think about Luis Robert but I think that if everything works out he's a Mike Cameron type. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

A retooling is needed at this point. With Cease being a Boras guy I think you move on from him now, try to get some big time prospects. 

I honestly don't know what to think about Luis Robert but I think that if everything works out he's a Mike Cameron type. 

I think they keep anybody with 3 or more years of control

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Lots of people owe @Jack Parkman an apology for ripping him when he said the Sox may not win the division. I don't think they win it anymore. 

I understand that obviously things are not going well right now but still believe it's a little premature to conclude they won't win the division.  Part of the reason I wouldn't write off the season on 4/29 is that I really don't believe there is a team in the division that is going to run away and hide.  I will admit as each day goes by and the bats stay silent it is difficult to remain patient.

• Like 3

My level of concern is frankly for older fans. I think for anybody over 60 or so you're looking at some great memories maybe in the early 80s, a good part of the 90s, 2005 and then pretty much just horse shit since you turned 40 or so. You were holding out hope for a great stretch of Sox baseball, similar to the best of the early 90s teams but with more depth and higher ceiling.

Younger fans can brush a bad start or even a bad season (or hell five of them or so) off and look to the future -- older fans don't have that luxury and have a lot of scar tissue built up that is painful as well. Baseball is a sentimental game of course and as you get older it becomes harder to separate the past from the present from the hypothetical future -- and the future is looking shorter all the time.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My level of concern is frankly for older fans. I think for anybody over 60 or so you're looking at some great memories maybe in the early 80s, a good part of the 90s, 2005 and then pretty much just horse shit since you turned 40 or so. You were holding out hope for a great stretch of Sox baseball, similar to the best of the early 90s teams but with more depth and higher ceiling.

Younger fans can brush a bad start or even a bad season (or hell five of them or so) off and look to the future -- older fans don't have that luxury and have a lot of scar tissue built up that is painful as well. Baseball is a sentimental game of course and as you get older it becomes harder to separate the past from the present from the hypothetical future -- and the future is looking shorter all the time.

I'm 76 and go back to the early 50's and the GO GO SOX and 17 years of winning baseball, what I'm watching right now is extremely painful with lots of heartache. I've seen some bad White Sox baseball down through the years especially with the 68,69 and 70 teams who were as bad as can be but didn't have anywhere near the talent of the 2022 team. I thought that with 2 playoff appearances in a row we were on our way to some great baseball on the Southside with a good chance of a World Series Championship in the near future. We were all taken in by a great first half last year but since then it's been like someone turned off a switch and the Sox turned into a bad team that forgot how to play the game. Our hitters have no clue, can't work a count if their life depended on it, last night a perfect example with 3 hits and 1 lousy walk. The defense hasn't been good either and usually is caused by a lack of concentration and sometimes laziness. Living in Florida I watch a lot of Rays games and the difference is like night and day between the 2 clubs starting with the manager and the attitude of the players and their approch to the game.

It's still early and there's still a chance to turn this around, maybe once everyone is healthy and with a little attitude adjustment the team can get back to winning baseball. We are in the worst division in MLB and if they don't dig themselves too big of a hole they can come back and get back to the playoffs.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I would argue the opposite.  It’s going to completely disillusion that under 25 generation of White Sox fans who were too young for 2005 and are feeling like they were tricked by the team to wait so patiently from 2013 all the way to THIS mess???  Those kids will just become apathetic or disengaged until the next time there’s a legit contender…and they might be waiting a long time at that, and give up, or discover there are lots of other entertainment options.

At least the Twins proved a one year recovery is possible.  It means trading away at least Giolito and/or Moncada, extending Kopech or Vaughn (we definitely don’t have a Buxton equivalent other than Robert) and then hitting perfectly on a premium FA…and adding 2-3 to the starting rotation via trade or FA.

It also means taking a step back for 2023 unless every move is executed perfectly, which has pretty much only happened one time in forty years of Reinsdorf ownership.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Whatever the future of this team brings, it is truly disheartening  to sit through a long off season just to get this crap product they have on the field right now.  They are sucking the life out of the fan base right now imo.  And it is not just the injuries....it just isn't.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don’t know what the pitching injuries have to do with leading the league in errors. Or not being able to take a walk. Or playing the always fun “Whose Turn Is It To Groundout Weakly?”

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I don’t know what the pitching injuries have to do with leading the league in errors. Or not being able to take a walk. Or playing the always fun “Whose Turn Is It To Groundout Weakly?”

These are the kinds of issues I want addressed publicly. Either the media needs to grow the balls to ask these questions or internally a mouthpiece needs to talk about it. Why are these things continuing to be a pattern...they need to discuss it.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sometimes I wonder if you know what certain phrases mean. "If everything works out" with Robert, he's Willie Mays

"If everything goes as it's been going" with Robert, he's Mike Cameron

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Sometimes I wonder if you know what certain phrases mean. "If everything works out" with Robert, he's Willie Mays

"If everything goes as it's been going" with Robert, he's Mike Cameron

If everything goes as it's been going this year with Robert, he's out of baseball at the end of his contract. 

Remember how bad he was in 2020 too. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Anderson is a good hitter

Robert can be the best player in the league

Abreu's best years are likely behind him but he can still hit and the guys look up to him

Moncada is one of the best 3B's in the league

Grandal is an on-base machine

Bummer is normally good

Hendricks is normally good

The manager is a hall of famer (just ask him when he's drunk)

Cease is turning into a good #2

Kopech is good

Giolito is good

But somehow, someway, they just aren't a good team. They just aren't. They're something like 48-52 over their last 100 games now. That has nothing to do with just injuries or just slumps or just the manager or just the FO. That has nothing to do with anything other than when everything comes together, they stink.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If everything goes as it's been going this year with Robert, he's out of baseball at the end of his contract. 

Remember how bad he was in 2020 too. 

Well you're right about that, but you can't say "if everything goes right" with Robert he's Mike Cameron. If Robert hits all of his potential, he's going to hit 40 homers a year and win 10 GG's. That's a hall of famer, not Mike Cameron

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Well you're right about that, but you can't say "if everything goes right" with Robert he's Mike Cameron. If Robert hits all of his potential, he's going to hit 40 homers a year and win 10 GG's. That's a hall of famer, not Mike Cameron

Yeah, but hitting all of his potential isn't realistic, as we've seen with Moncada. I'm grounding myself in reality. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of the Sox players come anywhere close to their ceilings. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, but hitting all of his potential isn't realistic, as we've seen with Moncada. I'm grounding myself in reality. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of the Sox players come anywhere close to their ceilings. 

I'm aware that it's not realistic but you said "if everything goes right." If everything goes right, he reaches his potential everywhere.